Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Valvoline Oil

17K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Aelayyat 
#1 ·
I have a chance to get away from the dealer and get my oil changes done at a friends shop. My accord just passed the 36,000mi marker and thus the first set of warranties are up. I have had all service done through the dealer up until this point. I thought about going full synthetic from here on out and his shop uses strictly Valvoline products. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about going this route as I can get an oil change and tires rotated for $20 out the door???? Again, full synthetic is included in that price.

Thanks
BOC

#2 ·
When i got my car at 78,000 miles, at the first oil change on my dime, i changed it with Valvoline fully synthetic, because the car has had synthetic its whole life, and a k&n oil filter. I Ran that oil for about 5500-6000 miles. But then I did some reading and with Mobil 1 passing Honda's heat tests, I switched to that on my next change with a Mobil 1 High Performance oil filter and loving it so far. And with both oils its 5w-20. To tell you the truth, the Mobil 1 oil hasn't gotten as dirty as the Valvoline so far. But try it and see how you like it.

#3 ·
If you are getting a full synthetic oil change and a tire rotation for 20 bucks, your friend is stealing. Sounds more like a buddy who is pocketing the 20 and using the company's labor and parts.

Valvoline is good oil... but the parts alone should be at least 20 bucks.

#7 ·
I've tried Valvoline Maxlife in my rig for a full typical Accord-esque 5000 mile oil change interval "cycle" and it's good oil however keep in mind that iteration was it's semi-synthetic and not full synthetic. Infact the Valvoline Maxlife is for 75k and over mile cars and I used it simply to condition the engine seals as high mileage oil professes to do. I have heard good things about the full synthetic sold by the brand name Valvoline Synpower. I would definitely give this oil a run for one Oil Change Interval. This is all 5w-20 talk since I use what's on my oil cap and thus what Honda says to use year-round. :yes: Me, personally I am a Ford Motorcraft fan for the life of any Honda, anyway!!!!!!

#9 ·
I've tried Valvoline Maxlife in my rig for a full typical Accord-esque 5000 mile oil change interval "cycle" and it's good oil however keep in mind that iteration was it's semi-synthetic and not full synthetic. Infact the Valvoline Maxlife is for 75k and over mile cars and I used it simply to condition the engine seals as high mileage oil professes to do. I have heard good things about the full synthetic sold by the brand name Valvoline Synpower. I would definitely give this oil a run for one Oil Change Interval. This is all 5w-20 talk since I use what's on my oil cap and thus what Honda says to use year-round. :yes: Me, personally I am a Ford Motorcraft fan for the life of any Honda, anyway!!!!!!
A friend of mine ran nothing but motorcraft in his 01 mustang from when he bought it new and pulled the heads at 110k and there was so little sludge he used paper towels to wipe off what was there. And the car wasn't driven easily, modified, 1/4 mile, autox, all the fun stuff. Never had an engine problem with it.

#10 ·
It's an I4 and I usually go between 5-7000 miles on my interval changes. I would bet that out of the 30,000+ miles on this car maybe a couple thousand miles are city and the rest all highway. I usually change the oil when the MM says 40-50% and again that equates to being anywhere between 5-7000mi.

I share the same sentiment of "how can I go wrong" except I just have it in my head that I should keep going back to the dealer for routine MX. I guess it was how I was raised. Mom and Dad always had the dealers do everything on our cars for piece of mind I guess and I need to get past that train of thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.