Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Forward Collision Warning

28K views 67 replies 33 participants last post by  08Sedan/13Coupe 
#1 ·
I have the camera-based type and can attest that it works (sometimes). I had it go off one time while set to "normal" and wanted to see what it would do when set to "long". So far it has not gone off when nearly running into the back of another vehicle at a rapid pace, but it occasionally goes off at some distance when slowly approaching the back of another vehicle with the brakes engaged. Therefore, I find it to be totally unpredictable.

Has anyone else had any experience with the performance of this system? A forum search produced nothing.

#2 ·
Works very well for me. Set to long. Nothing is perfect but false positives are rare.

#3 ·
It's a marketing joke even set on long. I agree it rarely has false positives but the so called warning is so short and the alarm so soft (like the LDW) the technology makes for great commercials but is nearly useless. Sure, better than nothing but that is not saying much.

#4 ·
You are absolutely right. While driving home from the dealership in my parents' new '13 EX-L V6, my dad, who likes to tailgate, said "I think I see something flashing," then he said "do you hear something? I thought I heard something, but I can't tell." Then I remembered the FCW...

#6 ·
I have the radar based (Touring) FCW, and also received a 'false alarm' this morning when braking at a low speed behind a stopped vehicle. The only other time it's gone off was when I was cut off by a semi on the interstate. While the alert for both the FCW and LDW could be louder, it's not so loud as to where I have to explain what that sound was to my passengers (usually my kids). While looking through the settings, it appears that you can turn it up to eleven (no, really - not just a Spinal Tap joke). On a similar note, I do enjoy the verbal seat belt reminder as it provided that extra bit of 'encouragement' needed for one of my anti-seatbelt friends to put their damn seatbelt on...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#7 ·
Seatbelts are a must and like you I WILL remind passengers if necessary.

The camera based FCW on lesser models has no such volume adjustment for either FCW or LDW. Even with the radio off, these are hardly warnings and with the radio on at modest volume absolutely useless. I don't mind false alarms, I will be happy with all real and false alarms if I can hear it. I spoke with HMC the first week I had the car and suggested a software update to make it louder. Time will tell

#12 ·
I have the radar based (Touring) FCW, and also received a 'false alarm' this morning when braking at a low speed behind a stopped vehicle. The only other time it's gone off was when I was cut off by a semi on the interstate. While the alert for both the FCW and LDW could be louder, it's not so loud as to where I have to explain what that sound was to my passengers (usually my kids). While looking through the settings, it appears that you can turn it up to eleven (no, really - not just a Spinal Tap joke). On a similar note, I do enjoy the verbal seat belt reminder as it provided that extra bit of 'encouragement' needed for one of my anti-seatbelt friends to put their damn seatbelt on...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Interesting, I haven't been able to find a way to increase the volume on mine. :dunno:

As far as I'm concerned, the FCW is useless because I can't hear it when I have my music set to a normal listening level. I then have to rely on the flashing light in front of me. What the hell good is that if I happen to be looking to the side for a moment? A safety warning beeper should have an adjustable volume control. :rant:

#11 ·
Dealer showed me the Canadian service bulletin for the stereo update.It also supposed to fix any issues with the camera detection.(lane departure & collision warning).My appointment is next week.
I am curious to see if the camera functionality would be improving.
The issue I have is the LNW & collision warning does not work at times and the warning tone is very low,not adjustable.
Anybody noticed improvement with the camera functions?

#14 ·
Yes it works!

It has worked for me! I was in some stop and go traffic when I took my eyes off the road for a second to look at this beautiful girl. The FCW went off because the guy in front of me slammed on his brakes for a pedestrian. If I did not look up I would have slammed into the back of him. So yeah it works! BTW, I have mine set to normal.

Regards
Max

#18 ·
Fcw

I have a v6 EX-L w/ Navi. I agree the warning sound is too low if you are listing to music, and this should be addressed by Honda. I feel the lights by the windshield and the FCW blinking by the speedometer helped in my condition.:banana:
My buddy brought a v6 coupe w/ navi and he said there was a way to higher the volume for the turn by turn nav system. Of course he does not remember what he did. Is this possible? BTW he brought it two weeks ago so maybe it’s newer software. Just a thought. :dunno:

#21 ·
I have a v6 EX-L w/ Navi. I agree the warning sound is too low if you are listing to music, and this should be addressed by Honda. I feel the lights by the windshield and the FCW blinking by the speedometer helped in my condition.:banana:
My buddy brought a v6 coupe w/ navi and he said there was a way to higher the volume for the turn by turn nav system. Of course he does not remember what he did. Is this possible? BTW he brought it two weeks ago so maybe it’s newer software. Just a thought. :dunno:
I take this to mean the Nav voice can be made louder which is expected but I doubt that will make the FCW/LDW louder unless there is a specific menu for it. Re: The HUD for the FCW. i think it is OK but you need to be looking at it in which case I can see the car I am about to hit. I read that Volvo/Ford has a red LED that streaks across the entire dash from A pillar to A pillar which is far better. Don't get me wrong, our FCW is better than nothing but more field testing was needed. I could have let them know within 5 min of driving the car what it needed including a fix for the awful downward slope of the passenger seat.

#25 ·
In my experience, the system seems to work well, except just like the rest of you, I think the visual and audible indicators leave something to be desired. It usually goes off on me if I'm making a lane change and I get to close to the car in front because I'm trying to give as much cushion as I can behind me. I could see if one were tired and not paying attention, it might get them to instinctively hit the brake or least look up. Other than that... Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't already saved a few rear end collisions, so it's probably doing it's job, though I think it could just have better indicators.

As for the LDW, I turned that off the day I picked up the car. That system just hates curvy roads.

#26 ·
Agree, I notice in lane changers or sometimes on left arrow turns approaching another left turner it will go off- very appropriate. I still think the camera base system just can't see far enough to be of great value.

Re: LDW, I leave mine on. It will never wake you from a nap but I have had a few moments where I had a little mid day sleepiness and the radio was not too loud it actually alerted me and worked as planned. On curvy roads, I keep it from crossing the double yellow and it's fine-you might give that a shot :lmao:

#28 ·
FCW on 2014 Odyssey EX-L

This camera based system seems COMPLETLY WORTHLESS to date. I am having my dealer talk to his regional Honda guy to see if Honda acknowledges this system is NFG and is working on fixes. I see a class action suit in Hondas future on this deal if they don't get cracking on a solution!! I have tried all settings and it doesn't do anything even when I approach a stopped car at high speed in a near empty parking lot as a test.

#29 ·
Has anyone had the "FCW" light on the dash blink, but not the LED's mounted near the windshield blink? (Note: My LDW was set to off)

I have the camera system I think (since I am in a V6 coupe)

The LED's near the windshield seem to work like they are supposed too so far, but just recently I was driving at night and I found that the dash would flash a FCW but it wouldnt flash in the window like its supposed too.

Is this normal? Is this a glitch?

(Note: I also added a solid vinyl windshield banner to my car but I cut out a perfect triangle whole for the camera eye. Is this the only "eye" the system uses, or is there more than one I should cut a hole in the banner for? )

#31 ·
Off means off so I'm not sure why the dash would flash when it's off.
Mine has been spot on. Zero false positives, and each warning has had merit in my opinion.

I'm not sure how you guys could be dissatisfied with the warning. The beep is hard to hear while listening to music, sure, but the flashing light below the driver's point of view grabs my attention without fail.
We are dissatisfied with the warning because it doesn't work. I'm not sure how you could have missed that among all of these posts.

If yours works as flawlessly as you say, I suspect you have the Touring model with the radar based system (edit: I see your comment re: camera).

Would have been nice if Honda included Auto braking like the Mazda 6, Impala, et.al. The Infinity braked late in CR testing and crashed through the barrier, Volvo worked flawlessly. I digress.

If you have a lesser Accord like the rest of us with the useless camera based system, the consider yourself lucky.

Mine fails to activate even set to long but every now and then it works.

I have tried to activate it but it's like playing chicken, I get so close with no FCW warning, I am forced to brake for hear of hitting something waiting on this useless FCW to chine on.

The few times it activates, always in slow traffic in the city, the timing is so short I am already on the brakes and if I braked when I heard the beep or saw the flash, it would be way too late.

#30 ·
Mine has been spot on. Zero false positives, and each warning has had merit in my opinion.

I'm not sure how you guys could be dissatisfied with the warning. The beep is hard to hear while listening to music, sure, but the flashing light below the driver's point of view grabs my attention without fail.

#32 ·
II Kings 9:20 - Be aware of the difference of LDW and FCW systems in my post.

If I had to go out on a limb and guess, Im thinking that reflections off of license plates or reflective tape on trucks screws with the system.

#35 ·
Got it, I see correctly you are talking about FCW and not LDW. For both, one would think if it's off it's off.

Interestingly I find the LDW to be very accurate (if only the alarm were louder or it had a mute option like an incoming call) and I find FCW totally useless.

If it happens to function on that one occasion it may save a life, I'll take it but you can't depend on it. Some FCW work very well and honda should have done better. They have the feature for marketing and if it happens to work, consider yourself lucky.

#33 ·
I get mostly false positives.

The one time it was right, a bicyclist crossed my path on a one-way road coming from the wrong side (he was riding against traffic instead of with it). Had the FCW not beeped, I would definitely have run over the man. That one saved life is enough of a benefit that I'm glad the car has it.

#37 ·
Has anyone asked the dealer to re-calibrate their FCW/LDW camera? My FCW never really activated on any setting, until the camera was replaced under warranty. (I was getting the FCW/LCW Failure message.)

After the camera was replaced and calibrated, I set the distance to long, and now it responds in a manner I feel is appropriate to provide time to react.

Of course, my problem could have been the faulty camera even before I received the FCW/LDW message, but it may be worth a try to have yours calibrated.

From the manual:
"Proper calibration of the FCW camera is necessary for the system to operate properly."
http://www.haccord.org/forward_collision_warning_fcw_-185.html

#39 ·
I have the touring. Does the FCW radar work if you turn ACC off or does it need to be on but not set to work? ie if ACC is totally off it switches to camera. But if ACC is on but not configured it switches to Radar?

Also please someone tell me they have worked out how to turn up the beeps without turning up the navi voice? I could not find a way to turn the navi voice off so I turned the sound down to zero. Surely that cannot affect the beeps too can it?

#40 ·
I personally give the car in front of me at least two-seconds of space so I have not had the FWC go off for real. I have it set to Long. However the manual doesn't give any measurable guidance as to how long is long. It has given me a couple false alarms. Usually it's on a street with a curve and as I enter the curve it picks up a parked car on the left side of the street. Otherwise, FCW is better than nothing. The LDW is useful because I have been distracted momentarily by reading the iMid screen or the radio touch screen and the car starts to drift right or left, The warning works great and gets my attention immediately. The warning is not loud enough if you listen to music at a very high volume. Of course people who blast their car stereos while sitting next to me in at traffic lights should be given a fine by the FCC for broadcasting without a license. :thmsup:

#43 ·
I agree. I really like LDW and find FCW useless. Mine has chimed in similar situations like yours like in a turn bay and on coming traffic is turning as well. I have no complaint with that at all. Until both cars have fully turned, the trojecteroy is a crash and FCW can not be expected to know that the turning car approaching has its wheels turned. My complaint is that if I try to make it go off by late braking, it is silent. On the rare occasion it does randomly go off, the alarm is nearly inaudible. I would NEVER depend on it to help prevent a crash.

#50 ·
Impala uses radar. I am not sure on the 6. Accord touring has radar for FCW but no auto brake as you know. Not all autobrake are created equal. Q50 crashed through the barrier and Volvo stopped well short of impact. I am almost certain the engineers have the brake lights come on with auto brake.

About 6 months ago a teen was kidnapped in NJ and she crashed into a parked police car and got away from the kidnapper who was arrested on the spot.

Auto brake would prevent this rare occurrence but would save many lives.

MB and Volvo large trucks have had this for years in Europe of course.

#52 ·
Impala has been advertising on TV its radar based system which includes braking.

Fusion has it for '13. From the features list, note it includes braking.

ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL -inc: collision mitigation by braking & forward collision warning • •
ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL -inc: collision mitigation by braking & forward collision warning (REQ: 14L SE Technology Pkg) (REQ: 504B or 505A Equipment Group Order Code) •
ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL -inc: collision mitigation by braking & forward collision warning (REQ: 205B or 205A Equipment Group Order Code) (REQ: 14K SE Technology Pkg & 999 2.0L Engine)

#56 ·
Fusion has it for '13. From the features list, note it includes braking.

ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL -inc: collision mitigation by braking & forward collision warning • •
ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL -inc: collision mitigation by braking & forward collision warning (REQ: 14L SE Technology Pkg) (REQ: 504B or 505A Equipment Group Order Code) •
ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL -inc: collision mitigation by braking & forward collision warning (REQ: 205B or 205A Equipment Group Order Code) (REQ: 14K SE Technology Pkg & 999 2.0L Engine)
Hmm, well, given that description, the Accord's with ACC have it as well.

When the ACC senses it needs to slow down, there are two responses. Engine braking or applying the brakes. It can apply the brakes fairly sharply to slow the Accord if something is in front of you stopped or traveling a lot slower than you. The brake light does come on. However, ACC behaves like other speed controls and disables about 25mph, so it will turn off and release the brakes at that point. Hopefully you noticed and took over braking by then. :)

Oh, and in cases were the system thinks you need FCW, you will get automatic braking and FCW. It is possible for the FCW to go off, the ACC to apply brakes, and the FCW to go away without you doing anything.

#53 ·
The FCW system can be set to three distances Long, Normal and Short. The Lane Watch camera system also displays three red lines on the image of the right lane. In both cases the manual doesn't say how far those distances are located.

Does anyone know how far they are? On the FCW is Normal 100 ft, 500ft? On the Lane watch image is the nearest red line the back of the car? How far behind the car are the other two lines?

Does anyone know the distances for the settings on the FCW system and the red lines on the Lane Watch system?

However, the Multi View rear camera lines are defined in the manual with exact distances.

#54 ·
However, the Multi View rear camera lines are defined in the manual with exact distances.
I never knew this about the line distance listed in the owner's manual. The salesman told me the dashed line on the rear camera signifies where the rear bumper is.

#60 ·
One other thing that may have already been pointed out but bears repeating. Whe backing up and around an obstacle like short marker posts designating the lots perimeter and usually painted school bus yellow, I found that if you trust the yellow outlines of the backup camera, they're accurate to squeeze you around one of the pole markers even if you tend to hug it close but do not conflict with the cameras lines. I found out just how accurate and close you can get at my Doctors office where major construction is going on and they're changing parking lots every time I have an appointment. It's a great instrument for getting you in and out of those tight areas without contact..

#61 ·
I've found the FCW will not sound if your foot is on the brake for any amount. If your foot is off the brake, it works great except the warning signal is too low. I have mine set to "Long" and it still doesn't give much time to brake. I scared my passenger when trying it coming up to a parked car in a shopping center. I had my foot ready to brake quickly...and I had to brake quickly. When it goes off, you need to brake quickly or it'll be too late. I want a HIGHER volume and a little more time to brake. Maybe they need a "Max" setting like the automatic headlights.