Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Tranny vibration when accelerating

16K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  gp15857 
#1 ·
My gf's 2005 auto v6 accord has a vibration/rubbing feel in the acceleration from a complete stop. It occurs from approximately 2000-2400 rpms and goes away. It only happens from a stop in auto's 1st gear. I have noticed it since the 1st time driving the car. Odometer was 75k miles then and it currently has 105K. Gf is original owner and she never noticed it. Any experiences or suggestions? Thanx

#5 ·
Ignore the rpm for a moment.

Do you feel this vibration from the instant you hit the accelerator to a certain road speed?

Does it feel more like a "wobble"?

If you put the car in park or neutral, and bring it to the revs you mentioned, can you feel it? Also, if in drive, and you use your left foot to hold the brake FIRMLY, and bring the revs to 2000, do you feel it? Don't do this for a long period of time.

#7 ·
High performance mounts would reduce engine movement, but also allow far more vibration to reach the passengers.

If the front mount is bad, it'll clunk once on acceleration as the engine lifts up.

The stock mounts don't let a whole lot of movement in normal driving.

On hard acceleration should the tires hop, then it can move a bit but the axle hop is so violent I think he'd feel that much more.

#8 ·
The vibration occurs on acceleration from roughly 8-12 mph and goes away. I take away that if I accelerate extremely softly/creeping, the vibration doesn't occur. I cannot replicate the vibration/rubbing sound in park/neutral/revving with foot on brake.

This is the first Honda I've driven so I didnt know if this was normal. Thanks for input.

#11 ·
Will it do it in gear, foot on brake at the rpm you mentioned?

Also, try putting it in D2 and accelerating away, do you feel it.

I'd be checking the axles. Sounds like you have an inner joint going bad. The 4 cylinder cars with the long right axle are known for having issues that cause a "wobble" like vibration, first only on initial take off, like what you feel. Then as they get worse, it happens any time you accelerate up to about 45-50 mph.

#9 ·
it sounds like a mount for sure, try this pop yur hood put the ebrake on,put it in gear without taking off, press the gas just a bit and see how bad the engine move back, if you see it move to much thats motor mounts if not well i have no idea but i hope it just a bad motor mount easy fix. good luck

#12 ·
It doesn't sound like a "wobble". Closer to a rubbing or grinding without metal parts. I hear it and only feel it in the acceleration pedal. Not the steering wheel.

Ok, I cannot replicate it with the foot on the brake. It is the same in D3 and 1. In 2, the sound/feeling is much louder and lasts longer.

Are tranny mounts easy to detect when they are worn?

I'm just confused that this issue has not got worse. It has remained the same from 75-105K miles, just over 2 years.

#13 ·
Is this sound loud enough to be made into an audio file to post?

Starting in second makes it worse, not good.

Since you're really not accelerating hard, I can't see it being mounts. Bad mounts, you'd feel the engine moving, noticeable clunk especially if the front mount is bad.

Have you or a shop done a trans drain and fill on this car anytime recently? I'd like to see what's on the drain plug magnet. What does the current fluid in the unit look like? Can you put the dipstick into bright sunlight to see if there's metal flakes in it?

#14 ·
If the fluid turns out dark brown with a burnt smell and there DOES appear to be metal flakes in the fluid like Fred suggested, I believe your second gear is toast. Especially since starting in second makes it worse...

#15 ·
That car "shouldn't" have issues with 2nd in that way, but anything is possible. It should have the internal lube problem fixed.

If it has a jet kit, the trans is either used or rebuilt by someone at sometime incorrectly.

I'd really like to hear it, if it's audible to a microphone.

#16 ·
Tranny drain and refill was done about 4 months ago. No red flags by dealer. I checked the fluid today. It appears to be good. Normal color, no burnt smell, and clear of metal flakes/debris. My gf has owned the car since new. No mods. Original tranny and engine. I've noticed the sound since the first day driving it. My gf thinks it's always been there or hasn't paid attention to it.

Here are links for the sound I hear:

http://www.4shared.com/file/207140533/b58703ef/Mon_Jan_25_2010_09-50-17.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/207144468/d182d342/Mon_Jan_25_2010_09-50-44.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/207146425/6156a270/Mon_Jan_25_2010_09-52-37.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/207147951/991e0498/Mon_Jan_25_2010_09-53-05.html

Thanks!

#17 ·
OW!!!! That sounds horribly loud. Where was the microphone, by you or down near the floor? It's definitely not normal.

The car cruises completely quiet once out of second gear?

That's NOT mounts, it's mechanical, a bearing or some other rotating part has got a major issue.

It it's quiet out of second gear I may want you to try something.

#18 · (Edited)
What Fred said...plus it sounds like second gear clutch packs=metal on metal....time for a transmission! You need to drop the transmission pan to see metal flakes and such, they normally don't show on the stick until you do something really bad!!!! My guess is the magnet on the inside of the pan is covered in gunk from your 2nd gear clutch packs...

#21 ·
If it is quiet once out of second gear... try this.

You're going to have to locate the counter shaft speed sensor, it's near the fill plug on top of the unit. Carefully remove it, and look at second gear as the sensor reads off its teeth.

What color are the teeth and are there any pieces missing?

This is to start.

The other thing I'm curious about, if you can pick up the car safely and get under it...
Look at the heatshield that protects the bearing in the right axle's intermediate shaft. They had some that made odd buzzing issues, it could be that, as it's a spot welded double layer shield. I know in the factory facts section there's a service news article about it.

#22 ·
Whoa, is the sensor located where I would have to remove the airbox to access?

I'm hoping to have a mechanic take care of my timing belt/water pump/plugs maintenance tomorrow. I'll forward this info to him. I briefly explained the ailment and he thought it was possible that a solenoid has small leak to allow fluid behind it. It went over my head when he explained it so my apologies.

#23 ·
You shouldn't have to take out the airbox. The fill plug is accessible without removing it, so the sensor should be.

While it's there, have him check it for the heat shield as well to see if the layers have separated.

I highly doubt that a solenoid problem would cause that noise. The transmission should act very oddly with a leakage issue internally.

#24 ·
Heat shield look good. No separation or rattling.

Having difficulty locating the counter shaft speed sensor. I attached a diagram. #7 is the closest item near the tranny dipstick but doesn't look right. Could u direct me to the part to remove to view the teeth?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.