Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Damage from transmission flush?

8K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  _BIG_ 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago my Dad asked me to change the transmission fluid in his 2007 I4 Accord with 90,000 miles. It was the original fluid. I found this site and learned from searching how it's done. I planned to do the 3 drain/refill method that others have done and use Honda ATF. I bought 9 quarts of ATF from a dealer at $7.11/quart. But my Dad forgot he asked me to do it and just had it done at Jiffy Lube instead. I asked him if it was drained/refilled or flushed and he wasn't sure. I asked because I read on here that flushing can cause problems. I looked at the receipt and it said 7 quarts of Penzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF were used. The total cost was $124. If it was flushed do you think it messed anything up and tore the filter? I'm debating if I should change the filter and fluid just in case. Please give me your input.

#4 ·
1st) Check your fluid, Some Juffy Lubes are known for scam (they charge for service that they never performed)
2nd) go buy 1 case of Z1, you can do some drain and refill!
That would ****! But it's probably better in OP's case if this is what happened. The thing is, how would you tell whether they did it or not?

I'm with everyone here, go with Honda transmission fluid.

#7 ·
^Oops that's a great point cajun. I forgot about the part that fluids change color if they're left in the car for too long. I wouldn't know cuz I already changed mine ATF twice at 46k. :D

#8 ·
Last time I drove this car before the trans flush I noticed the gear selector changed gears with a little bit of a "slam". It used to be buttery smooth. Good idea to just change the fluid and filter right away to Honda ATF? or maybe the Penzoil should be okay for a shorter time interval?

#11 ·
Because your an I4 i wouldnt sweat it. The k24s can have the flush done with no problems, now if you had a v6, then you would have a bit of a problem. Oh and we gotta have a mini meet since theres no one from philly here lol. In anycase, youll be fine. Just make sure they put the right amount in and your good to go

#13 ·
First, give your Dad a good swift kick to the pants for even driving near a Jiffy Lube. Second, get the Pensoil ATF out immediately and get the Honda Z1 back in. Replace the filter too. Carry on.
:lmao:

I wish I could do that to anyone who let Jiffy Lube touch their car.

#16 ·
I don't know why he took it to Jiffy Lube, I guess he was in a hurry. On his old car they took off his fuel filter and put it back on wrong. Then when he got a mile down the road he saw the fuel line was spilling gas all over.

But it sounds like I should order a new filter and change the fluid. Maybe I could just let the Penzoil go for 20k or so. Not as long as the Honda ATF interval would be, if that sounds ok. Thanks for the tips.

#17 ·
Caveat emptor

Do not wait to get the Penzoil out. Get the Honda Z1 back in ASAP.

And to the person who works at Jiffy Lube...your JL may be the exception, but they didn't get the reputation they have by doing things right and honest. Personally, I would never work for them.

#18 ·
Thanks- I'll make sure to change the fluid asap. Just having a hard time finding an oem trans filter.

After trans fluid+filter, next items in the tune up will be:
Front brake pad and discs
Rear brakes- everything
Change brake fluid
Air filter
Cabin air filter- still original at 90k
Rotate tires
Bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner

Next summer at ~120k miles:
Change spark plugs
Change coolant
Change air filter again
Change cabin air filter again
Check front brakes pads

I think the plan will be hope the transmission lasts till 200k miles and then trade in the car knowing the trans could go any minute. If the trans does need a major repair or replacement before 200k miles, then we'll probably just get it fixed, then change the water pump, thermostat, PS fluid, and plan to keep the car till maybe 300k or so. So hopefully doing some maintainance now will help it last.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.