Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Baby Seat and Coupe

26K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  BlueBlahBleh 
#1 ·
I searched these forums, didn't find anything on baby seats and coupes....

We're expecting our first kid and when I purchased my 08 ex coupe a couple of years ago, I didn't even think of having a kid. The wife has an escape, so that will be the primary car, but I expect to get a seat for my car as well.

Does anyone out there have a baby and a 8th gen coupe, how is that working out for you? What kind of car seat did you get? I was thinking of trading in for a 4-door, but I really love this coupe and just paid it off, and will for sure loose money on this if I try to trade.

Thanks for the help.

#3 ·
Hey... i don't know about the specs, but i've had an infant and child seat for my nieces in my coupe and it works fine... (they enjoy the coupe as much as i do... lol) just not easy to get it in and out, but if you don't have to worry about moving it from car to car then you should have no problem... i know the coupe does have the car seat latches behind the seat to hook it on properly... btw, on a side note, get the wide angle rear view mirror so you can keep eye on the little one, it helps... and congrats!

#4 ·
Congratulations! I think the baby would be perfectly safe in the coupe, probably has better crash test ratings than the escape. The only downside would be having to move the seat and crawl in and out with a child. I wouldn't trade it in if you just paid it off. Wait until the baby is here and see how you feel then, don't jump the gun just yet. Then if you feel you'd be better off with a sedan go for it. Since its paid off you won't lose any money waiting...

#5 ·
08Coupe, you do not have a unique issue. We have 7 granddaughters ranging in age from 7 to 22, and have used children car seats for years. Soon they will reach a height where a separate seat is no longer needed. In Washington a height of 4 feet nine inches does it.

For a new baby, you need a shell which virtually encases your baby and one in which a belt can be attached in a manner to keep child seat in car during an emergency. The only way you can determine best seat is to try each manufacturers product before purchasing. Look for consumer reports recommendations on this first, then go to a Target, or similar store and test which seat fits your car best, Regards

Richard

#8 ·
Congrats on the baby, I myself have a paid off 08 coupe and as of now we are expecting twins in July... So I am in the same boat x 2. I never have people in my coupe, but I think I will still have to have 2 baby seats just in case. My wife is most likely gonna trade in her 05 mazda 3 for a 07 mazda cx-9....As times goes by I will post on which baby seats I purchased and how well they fit... congrats again.

#12 ·
Thanks 08 coupe, definitely exciting time, nerve racking, but exciting. I look forward to the day that my kids can help dad put on a couple of coats of wax...and then go for a cruise down lake shore drive. Congrats again and will keep you posted on the car seats and such...

#13 ·
I worked for a baby products website up until 2 years ago so I was up to date with all the infant products.

I believe the Chicco Keyfit (www.chiccousa.com) is still the # rated infant car seat. There is a Keyfit 30 that holds up to 30 pounds which is about 8 pounds more than the standard.

I remember the last infant products show I went to, the Chicco reps were demoing how easy it was to fasten the seat into the base. They literally dropped the seat onto the base and it slid in place. There is also a level on the base to let you know that it is properly placed in the car.

Be sure to register at www.cpsc.gov to get updates on recalls.

You might also look into a convertible car seat as well. You get longer use out of them because you can flip them around after the child gets to a certain weight and use them as a booster seat. Only down side is that they don't attach to a stroller.

The Britax Marathon was the top selling back when I was still in that industry. I remember Recaro was aslo crowing about they safety of their seats because of the side bolsters.

#14 ·
Grats on the lil' one! I have a child seat in my 7th gen. coupe, and I find it's actually easier to get in and out in the coupe compared to the 4 door sedan. Coupes aren't for everyone, but if you have one then they work nicely IMO.

Maybe it's just me, but once you move the seat foward the angle seems to be more directly forward into the seat vs. a 4 door, where you are at a 90 degree angle with a car seat. There is a lot less strain on my back because of this.

Another benefit of the coupe is when your child gets older, there are no windows to roll down and play with or doors to accidentally open. Children love to play with windows and open doors. I realize sedans have safety locks, but to me those are annoying. Sometimes you forget to activate them for a child and sometimes you forget to turn them off for adults. It's just less hassle for me.

I think that Accord coupes have more room in the back and I would probably not enjoy having a child seat in the back of a coupe if it wasn't a Honda.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.