Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Full Gas Tank Sloshing noise - 2009 4 door EX V6 Accord

9K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  Nighthawk08 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a new 2009 EX V6 Accord two months ago. I noticed that when the gas tank is full, I can hear the fuel sloshing around when I'm driving at very slow speeds, i.e. in driveways. I can also feel the momentum of the fuel moving back and forth in the tank. This disappears once some fuel is used. I asked my Dad, and he hypothesized that perhaps the baffles in the tank don't fully extend to the top. Has anyone had similar experiences or heard of any such issues with 2009 Accords?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Interesting. This was a big issue with the 06 Sonata (friend had one). Hyundai changed some tanks, but mostly told owners to deal with it. His would make sloshing noises from full to a little over 3/4 tank.

#5 ·
Got that too! I hear it right after I fill up and park in the garage. I back up slowly and basically once I stop, I hear the fuel slosh around. Ofcourse it is very low sound, and I have no music on.

I personally don't think it is a big issue.

#8 ·
I haven't heard or felt the gas in the tank but I'll definitely keep an eye on it. That's strange that you're hearing the sloshing. I heard it was quite an issue with earlier MDXs. :\

#9 ·
It's kind of mysterious, I've been driving a 2004 Civic for years now and never heard or felt anything remotely close, perhaps its because of the larger fuel tank capacity? I know I read that a lot of people had this issue with the Honda Fit, so I wanted to see if anyone else had noticed this or heard that the new Accords had some problems with the baffles on the tank. Thanks for all your replies.

#21 ·
Don't fill your tank! just keep it at 1/4..

"What? Out of gas?? I put $1 in the tank this morning and only drove $.90 worth" - Principal Skinner

#17 ·
Had this problem on my former 99 Accord EXL in 2004, tore gas tank apart from inside trunk searching for cause. Replaced float mechanism, sloshing stopped. Regards

Richard

#18 ·
No. I have a EX-L I4 and have the same noise after the tank is full.

Pulled into my garage last night after filling up with radio off and heard it.

I thought at first it was my rear tires making that noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.