Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

HVAC unit replacement

26K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Dan 
#1 ·
SRS components are located in this area. Review the SRS component locations and the precautions and procedures before performing repairs or service.

NOTE:

Put on gloves to protect your hands.

Take care not to scratch the dashboard and related parts.

Lay a workshop towel under the parts when working on them to protect the face panel from scratches or other damage.

Do not work in a dusty or dirty place.

Discharge static electricity from your body before and during the work.

Do not touch the circuit board with your bare hands.

Do not work with dirty hands.

Be careful not to fold the flat plate cable.

Do not touch the terminal connector of the flat plate cable with your bare hands. (If you have touched it, wipe it off thoroughly.)

Make sure you have the anti-theft codes for the radio and navigation system, then write down the frequencies for the radio's preset buttons.

Remove the upper panel.

Remove the center pocket.

Remove the screws and bolts, disconnect the audio-HVAC display module connectors (A) and the antenna lead (B), then remove the audio-HVAC display module (C).

Install the audio-HVAC display module and note these items:

Make sure the disconnected connectors plugged in properly, and the antenna lead is connected properly.

Enter the anti-theft code for the radio, then enter the customer's radio station presets.

With climate control:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
audio wiring

Attachments

#3 ·
wiring with remote

Attachments

#4 ·
more hvac wiring

Attachments

#5 ·
If you see a page number or photo mentioned that isn't here....ask & hopefully I can find it.

#6 ·
Thanks Princess! Im going to be helping a friend with a 2003 Honda Accord EX MT Sedan install his new headunit tomorrow. The first one filed with the notorious backlight problem. But he went on ebay and got a refurb head unit, for $215.00. Are there any strightforward instuctions are taking the dash apart? I'll do some searching and see what I find on the site.

Thanks,
Mike

BTW Congrats on breaking the 9k posts mark! :bananna: !

#7 ·
1 of 4

remove upper dash panel

Special Tools Required
Upper panel/vent removal tool 07AAC-SDAA100
NOTE: Take care not to scratch the dashboard and related parts.

Push the hazard warning switch button (A). Carefully insert a flat-tip screwdriver into the slot (B) below the button, and push down on the center clip.

Attachments

#8 ·
2 of 4

With the special tool and a flat-tip screwdriver
Set both ends of the special tool in the center vent openings (A) as shown. While pressing the center clip (B) down, pull the upper panel (C) back with the tool to detach the clips (D).

Attachments

#9 ·
3 of 4

With two flat-tip screwdrivers
Carefully insert a flat-tip screwdriver wrapped with tape into the slot (A) on one side of the upper panel (B). While pressing down on the center clip (C), carefully pull out on the side of the panel to detach the clips (D). Repeat this operation on the other side of the panel.

Attachments

#10 ·
4 of 4

Pull the upper panel (A) in the direction shown to release the remaining clips, disconnect the hazard warning switch connector (B), and if equipped, sunlight sensor connector (C) and navigation subdisplay connector (D). Detach the harness clips (E), then remove the upper panel.

Install the panel in the reverse order of removal, and make sure each connector is plugged in properly.

Attachments

#11 ·
removing center pocket

SRS components are located in this area. Review the SRS component locations and the precautions and procedures before performing repairs or service.

NOTE:

Put on gloves to protect your hands.

Take care not to scratch the dashboard and related parts.

Remove the center holder.

Remove the center pocket (A).

-1 Remove the screws (B).
-2 Open the lid, then pull the pocket back by hand to detach the clips (C).
-3 Close the lid, then remove the pocket.

Install the pocket in the reverse order of removal, and note these items:

Make sure the holders (D) are installed onto the pins (E) properly.

Push the clipped portions into place securely.

Make sure the center pocket lid opens smoothly.

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks Princess!!!
This helps us alot!

My Appreciation for you is unelxplainable!
Mike

#13 ·
It should all be the same for the 06....

The gear shift area is 6 more pages....I'll do it in the morning. I'm pooped! :)

#14 ·
All of this work for the interior trim. Makes me thing I should spring for the extended warranty. :paranoid:

#15 ·
I don't think you should worry. The new 06 headunit on the EX's look redesigned in the lighting department, which leads me to think they got the clue.

#17 ·
did I ever post the gear shift area???? I don't remember!!! :dunno: Just let me know if you still need it!! :paranoid:

#18 ·
Is this a pretty simple procedure? I need to take the HU out in order to wire in my sub that I had in the old Accord.

Anyone w/ experience please chime in! I don't want to pay somebody to do this, but the dashboard looks complicated to take apart.

#19 ·
So I was quoted for $65 dollars to have it installed at the dealership or I can do it myself.

Would y'all do it yourself or pay them? I know I could do it myself, but I'm afraid of breaking something. :dunno:

#20 ·
hi princess, are the diagrams for the audio unit the same as 04's?

#21 ·
Which diagrams? To remove it? Yes, I believe so. The wiring, I don't know.... :dunno:

#22 ·
i was referring to the diagram.

thanks for trying tho! =D

#23 ·
The diagrams I've put here should work for 30-06 for removing the HVAC.

Honda says it's only a .5 hour (30 minute) job..... :lmao: Well, that's all they pay anyway!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.