Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Tail Light Tint Advice!!!

15K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Dreamacre 
#1 ·
I just wanted some advice on tail light tint. Whether or not I should do it? How it would look? And what are some people's experience with it. I want something that's going to look nice yet still allow for clear visibility of my brake lights. I'm thinking about going with Lamin X film..... the "smoke" option.

Pics of your rides would be appreciated!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Most people on here are against it (for the right reasons though) it is a safety issue, but it looks great!

Some guy on here recently just got rear ended... .. .... just after he smoked out his tail lights!

I, myself have smoked out tail lights, I was afraid of the brake light output in the beginning, so I bought LEDs for it. Looks great nonetheless!

#4 ·
That looks pretty sweet man, it gives me good idea of what it'd look like. Great editing skills, you even got the shadows right.lol

#5 ·
After my personal experience with the law pulling me over for tinted tails in three different states, I'd say not to do it. Not only that but as mentioned before, the output is affected no matter which way you cut it.

#7 ·
After my personal experience with the law pulling me over for tinted tails in three different states, I'd say not to do it. Not only that but as mentioned before, the output is affected no matter which way you cut it.
Rear end collisions are - at least in part - the resultant of a national shortage of following distance. Addressing this concern are the high mounted brake lite, the very sensible two/three second rule and the Smith System of Space Cushion Driving. Sadly, many drivers remain clueless and don't get it.

Tinting just exacerbates the situation - as indicated in Cracker's closing phrase above.

happy trails, ez..........

#6 ·
I bought the Lamin-X kit a while back, and while it looked good, it wasn't as easy to install as I thought it would be. I ended up with a good number of bubbles and it was slightly misaligned, so I just took it off and got it done professionally at a tint shop. Not sure if you've seen Lamin-X's installation video on their website, but they make it look much easier than it actually is. So unless you have experience with similar projects, I suggest taking it to a tint shop instead

#9 ·
Reminds me of the civic I saw this morning in the pouring rain. I could not see his tail lights that were on because they were blacked out. Forget about distance because it was a black car with blacked out lights in the dark and rain. How cool, NOT

#10 ·
hmm tinted rear lights?
if the mod sacrifices the quality of the brake light, please dont do it. it is for your own safety.

i understand that some cars came from manufacturers tinted, but factory made tinted is made under a lot of tests, and they will not lower your brake light quality.

#18 ·
hmm tinted rear lights?
if the mod sacrifices the quality of the brake light, please dont do it. it is for your own safety.

i understand that some cars came from manufacturers tinted, but factory made tinted is made under a lot of tests, and they will not lower your brake light quality.
Sorry, forget your safety. For the sake of MY, my family, and the safety of everyone else that might follow you - please don't tint them. I was behind a car just this week where I could only faintly see his brake lights in broad daylight. People seem to forget that brake lights are important ALL day, and not just at night. Too many times I hear people say "Yea, they're tinted dark, but you can see them fine at night." Morons.

#12 ·
i did it on my sedan 04 2 weeks ago and the light quality still perfect.. i used VHT Niteshade... of course when the lights are turned off you cant see the red part but when i turn em on everything is fine. And i just get stopped from the cops for a chekup and they didnt said anything about my tailslights.

And if you will tint em, tint only the red part and keep the white part clear!

Lights turned off
http://img98.imageshack.us/i/20746510150208287406014.jpg/

i dont have any picture with the lights on but i saw what it does and its great!

edit:
Here is a picture when they are turned on and when u brake.
http://img856.imageshack.us/i/unledik.png/ (its raining outside)

#17 ·
Just don't.
Waste time somewhere else but not here, definitely.

#19 ·
kingmoocow;824283People seem to forget that brake lights are important ALL day said:
at night[/B]." Morons.
Agreed. I saw the same thing and it is annoying.

I love the look and I had the smoke option on my 99 cobra. I liked the fact that it is removable if I wanted to take it off (unlike spray tint). Here is a picture of the rear.

Also, check out my video and you can see how bright the lights are during the day. The first exhaust vid is a little iffy because of the glare but the exhaust2 shows it better (and I like the quieter sound better).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCycXQl1_JY

#23 ·
I completely agree with you guys! He did deserve it. He said the cop acted annoyed by the tint on the brake light. a few years ago I had a friend that got pulled over for just having tint on his windows ! my friend fought it in court and lost . He claim the judge told him, just because it is sold in a store doesn't make it legal to install on your car....

#24 ·
My friend learned that about tinted license plate covers. They're illegal in VA even though they look good. Anything illegal that's sold in auto stores (or even Wal-Mart, etc...) is sold for 'show cars.' AKA we have to look up the legality of most upgrades b/c we can't use the "it's sold in stores so shouldn't it be legal?" argument anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.