Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

2013 Accord Sport CVT makes whistling/ hissing sound when car is decelerating

53K views 67 replies 51 participants last post by  dillonmouton 
#1 ·
Anyone notice a whistling / hissing sound when decelerating in the 2013 Accord Sport CVT? I notice it when the car is decelerating (no brakes applied) in the 35mph - 0mph range. The car has ~500 miles.

Is this common? Is it a symptom of bad engine break in?

2013 Accord Sport CVT - Obsidian Blue Pearl

#4 ·
Do you have Econ turned on? I don't believe I have heard this sound. You can be reassured it's not from a bad engine break-in though. That is now done at the factory before you even get the car because of the much higher tolerances new manufacturing processes have now, an engine break-in only takes hours.

#5 ·
good call svenkill...i turned eco assist off and the whistling noise is significantly lower..however it is still slightly there if i listen carefully..im worried there is some kind of improper seal in the engine..or maybe im over analyzing the noise

have you noticed the noise with eco assist on? Now im wondering if there is a problem with my eco assist system

#6 ·
In my experience the best way to determine if the noise is normal is to go back to the dealer and ask them. I have also requested a test drive in a new unit that is the same as mine in the past to help determine if the noise is "normal". Not sure you can jump to the conclusion that you have an engine seal problem from a noise that you aren't familiar with though.

#8 ·
I guess you might understand this since you put normal in quotes, but just because the other new car makes the same noise does not mean it's okay for it to do it. What's normal is if it's truly designed to work that way. I don't mind that whistling noise, in fact, I kind of like it, but I just want assurance that everything is okay.

#36 ·
honda4me i have the same issue when turning left at low speeds especially when turning left and going over some bumps in the road...sounds like a squeaky noise and only occurs when i first start driving the car...after a few miles/ acceleration the squeaky noise doesn't come anymore...have you figured out what caused the noise? my car is also brand new and i noticed this noise early on

#23 ·
HA! That's what I used to do in college when I could only afford gas.

#24 ·
My noise is definitely a repetitive whistle or chirp that is synchronized with a front wheel. Driving straight ahead at 35 mph with light throttle makes it sound off pretty steady. Goes away with more throttle and speed. Not the clicking sound I would expect from a CV joint. Honda4Me, please post the diagnosis when you take yours in.

#32 ·
I actually like the jet noise too :thmsup:

My judder stopped when I paid attention to my braking. I realized that under 9 mph, I would let off the brake lightly before applying more pressure. Once I kept constant pressure on the pedal until 0, the juddering stopped.

#34 ·
Unfortunately the vibrations in drive at a stop seem to be getting worse, to the point where you can see ripples in water bottle in my cup holder. However I have learnt to live with it by putting the car in neutral or turning the AC on.

I finally took my car on its first "long" highway drive and I've noticed wind noise from my B-pillars as well. I looked up the tsb but my vin wasnt included. I'll bring it up with the dealer when I bring my car in to have the rear seats fixed.

#35 ·
no whistling on deceleration of my sport cvt. only jerkiness when almost to complete stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.