Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

EGR valve replaced, check engine light still comes on!

44K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Eric connolly 
#1 ·
Hello to all,

I'm in a desparate need for help on this matter.

I have 98 accord LX V6 with 164k miles. Well, I took this car in for inspection and found out it failed. The reason was 1) P0401 code, and 2) check engine light bulb was missing.

I came home and took the dash out and discovered the check engine light bulb was physically taken out. Of course, when I bought this car used, the seller did not mention anything about the 'glitch.' I found out that he had a problem on the same issue and instead of fixing it, it mysteriously took care of the check engine light and managed to pass the state inspection before he sold the car to me. (shouldn't he be thrown in jail for this?)

Now I'm stuck with this problem and need to take care of it the right way to pass the inspection. I found out that O2 sensor and mass air flow sensor were replaced and I replaced EGR vavle a couple days ago. The result? The bright yellow 'check engine light.'! Can someone please help me on this? I am very tired of throwing money into this money pit and willing to get this thing fixed and move on with my life. I really appreciate any advice!

JL

See less See more
#2 ·
The car doesn't have a mass air flow sensor. A 1998 is speed density and only has a map sensor.

Replacing the EGR valve for a low flow code is putting the cart before the horse. Without testing to see if the valve actually works, and whether the port in the intake is blocked. A very, very, very common issue on V6s. (blocked port)

You need to pull the upper intake and manually clean out the port in the upper intake. Take off the EGR valve and clean the port from the lower intake to the EGR base in the water crossover.

Once you're done cleaning it out, clear the codes. Test drive the car and within the first 5 miles or so, get it over 60 and coast for at least 5 to 10 seconds, it will test the EGR system for flow during this time. The light should stay off as long as the ports are clear.

Do a search, there's several good threads with pics.

#4 ·
hello to all,

i'm in a desparate need for help on this matter.

I have 98 accord lx v6 with 164k miles. Well, i took this car in for inspection and found out it failed. The reason was 1) p0401 code, and 2) check engine light bulb was missing.

I came home and took the dash out and discovered the check engine light bulb was physically taken out. Of course, when i bought this car used, the seller did not mention anything about the 'glitch.' i found out that he had a problem on the same issue and instead of fixing it, it mysteriously took care of the check engine light and managed to pass the state inspection before he sold the car to me. (shouldn't he be thrown in jail for this?)

now i'm stuck with this problem and need to take care of it the right way to pass the inspection. I found out that o2 sensor and mass air flow sensor were replaced and i replaced egr vavle a couple days ago. The result? The bright yellow 'check engine light.'! Can someone please help me on this? I am very tired of throwing money into this money pit and willing to get this thing fixed and move on with my life. I really appreciate any advice!

Jl
hey i was wondering if you got your check engine light off? I have the same problem with the same car, got my bro to clean out the egr valve and check eng light still on

#5 ·
cleaning the valve will NOT fix a P0401
You need to remove the intake and clean the port in the upper manifold and the port from the lower manifold to the valve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.