Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

V6 Timing Belt Inspection?

16K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Accordlover 
#1 ·
Today my 04 V6 LX with 56K went in for an oil change and inspection.

They reported that the timing belt was in poor condition and recommended that it should be changed at the "scheduled interval" of 60K.

Do they really look at the timing belt? The owners manual recommends replacement at 105K for both normal and severe conditions, not 60K.

Any idea whats going on here?

Thanks

#2 ·
I believe the '04 is 110k, but I could be mistaken.

Anyway, the only way to see the belt is to pull the forward upper cover, 5 bolts are there to remove.

I doubt there's anything wrong with the belt, but if you're uncomfortable you can take that cover off yourself or bring it to another shop for them to check for you.

#4 ·
It's 105k, and there is an access hole in the upper covers, so you don't have to remove them to check the belt.

#3 ·
Do you live and drive in an "extreme" climate (over 110 or -20 degrees F)? I would definitely get a second opinion on that. 60k miles is only recommended, if you regularly drive in these extreme climate situations.

#6 ·
you can't see the belt well enough through those holes, that's for timing mark reference.

......with the strong, efficient J30A4 - - an 'interference' engine - - the timing belt concern gets attention big time...........

certainly more than the 5M Solara which preceded my 6M...................

A second (competent) opinion may help one sleep at nite...................

best, ez....,

#8 ·
When I had my oem tires replaced at 58k the Firestone shop wanted to replace the timing belt, accessory belts, water pump etc when it wasn't due till 105k and 3 yrs to go on the time limit. About $1300 in extra's...yeah right. They couldn't even get the wheel weights to stay on.

#10 ·
Has anyone heard of belts breaking on these engines? I haven't. It shouldn't be too hard to remove the front upper cover to check it out though. I plan to change the timing belt myself, when the time comes. I love a challenge!

#13 ·
Change it at 105k miles unless you live in AZ or see 110+ degrees on a daily basis. Same goes if you see below zero daily. I changed my timing belt at 132k miles, no problems.

They just want money. Next time you're in there, why don't you ask that they take you to your car to show you the timing belt. And if they bring you a belt, that's complete BS.

It's very strange for a dealer to inspect a timing belt during an oil change. Very strange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.