Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

How do you know if you have a coolant leak?

6K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Accordriver 
#1 ·
I was doing some fluid checks over the weekend and I noticed that the reservoir tank was empty and the fluid level in the radiator itself was not visible at the top. Does this mean I have a coolant leak somewhere? AFAIK, I don't have any going into the combustion chamber itself because I don't have any white smoke coming out of my exhaust. And if I do have a coolant leak, it's not so much that my car is pooling fluid on the floor whenever I park.

#4 ·
My guesses are as follows: radiator leak, heater core or water pump. If it only leaks when the system is hot and under pressure the coolant can be lost as steam so you never see a puddle. Fill the system up and check things out while its hot.

#5 ·
Honestly, I haven't checked my cooling system since the day I got my timing belt and water pump done. That was at 136k miles and my car is creeping on 212k miles. When that was done, the shop topped off all the lost coolant.

The last oil change I did about 4k miles ago (I do my oil changes every 7k on full synthetic), the oil looked dark brown like it's supposed to.

I have filled it up since and i'll just keep an eye on it.

I also want to do some regular maintenance, and I was going to do a coolant system flush next weekend and replace the coolant with Honda blue coolant. My thing is, IDK how to do the flush service. I presume I need some sort of machine?

During this process I am also planning on replacing the thermostat along with the upper and lower hoses of the coolant system to and from the radiator and engine block.

#8 ·
Let's see over 76k miles have passed since the timing belt was done and coolant topped off. It could be normal to lose that much over that time frame. Get the blue oem stuff in there. Check the level very often at first to monitor(daily when cool). At the longest every two weeks down the road. Not only the coolant but ALL fluids: oil, coolant, p.s., brake, atf. :thmsup:

#11 ·
where is the coolant drain plug for the engine block?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.