Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Connecting cable from interior door handle

27K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  ZeeMan 
#1 ·
While installing component speakers in my '05' sedan, I broke the fitting on the cable that is actuated when the passenger's front interior door handle is pulled. This is the fitting that snaps into a bracket on the door panel and holds the sheathing in place so when the handle is pulled the cable inside the sheathing moves to pull open the door latch.

I've ordered a new cable from the dealer but can't figure out how to disconnect the end of the cable that is attached to the door latch actuator. It's inside the door and I can't get a good view, even with a mirror.

Does anyone know any tricks on how to disconnect the cable, or do I have to remove the door latch assembly to do it? How do I remove the assembly?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
welcome :wave:

This might help..... I'm not able to visualize exactly what yuo're talking about.... :dunno: But since both handles, inside & out pull on the same things to open the door..... well, I thought this may give you a clue as to what to do.

Attachments

#3 ·
I think you need to take out the latch. IIRC when I pulled out my actuator, the cables were bent in a way so that if you wanted to remove them, you've have to maneuver the cables perpendicularly towards the interior relative to where they are now...but of course that's pretty impossible since the latch is buried inside the door. But my memory is really hazy now so I could be wrong. Just see what you can do with a flashlight and a little ingenuity...worse comes to worse it ain't that hard to take everything apart :yes:

#10 ·
worse comes to worse it ain't that hard to take everything apart :yes:
I had the plastic piece that connects it to the inside door break on me; as I recall, it really isn't that hard to take the entire door apart.

I can't remember what my process was but if you get a schematic of how everything is put together it makes visualizing what you can't see easier. Just go to hondapartsnow.com or another similar OEM parts dealer and you will get a drawing once you navigate to front door locks.

Working inside doors just takes a lot of patience, locking needle nose pliers, extendable magnets, and plenty of beer.

#4 ·
Theres a small clip at the end of the cable that you need to snap off the cable. The end of the cable that attaches to the interior door handle is L shaped. The bend in the cable slides into a hole in the bracket that swings around and clips to the cable. Its hard to explain without a picture of the actual piece that you need to remove and might seem more complicated then it really is. If you have your door panel off you should be able to pull it away from the door enough to see the white clip at the end of the release cable, near the interior door handle. Thats the piece you need to slide off the cable and youll be able to pull the panel away from the door, you dont have to remove the latch assembly to get the cable off.

If you still cannot identify it, I'll try to take a pic of it in the morning.

#5 ·
I have to disconnect the other end

The one that's attached to the actuator in the door. It's hidden and I can't see how to disconnect it.

I've removed that white clip and the cable is loose.

I'll take a picture this weekend and learn how to post it here. I'm waiting for the cable from the dealer anyway.

#7 ·
I was able to remove the old cable quite easily. The green end broke so that is why I'm replacing it. I just spent and hour trying to get the new one in place. I can not get the end in the hole. any tricks?
I used my phone as a guide and the maintenance hole - I had it recording with flash on, helped quite a bit id say, after getting it in the hole a quick twist and you're done.

#8 ·
In the same boat here. Anyone have any pictures of how it goes together? I am hoping it's not too difficult to figure out because I cannot afford to pay a Honda dealer hundreds in labor for this.

Yesterday I broke both my front door cables replacing the front door speakers on my 05 sedan. I didn't even know I broke anything until everything was back together and I couldn't open the front doors from the inside. Still opens fine from the outside but won't open from the inside. Poor design IMO, I've never had anything like this happen and I've removed door panels on a lot of cars.

After looking here I pulled a door panel again and it's the green plastic thing broken. I am going to buy two new cables from Honda and attempt replacing them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.