Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Transmission Problem P0700

54K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  rob1213 
#1 ·
My Honda Accord 2002 2.3lt V4 started with transmission problems a little over a year ago. When cold, the card would hard shift into 2 & 3rd. After a while, say 5 minutes of driving and changing gear all gears changed fine.

Initially I took it to a technician who ended up putting in a new master rebuild kit. When the car left the shop it still had the same problem just changes weren’t as hard as they used to be. I ended up taking it to the trany shop 3 more times over the following 3 months with no positive results. I continued to drive the car this way, and I would let the car warm up 10 minutes before I left and this seemed to help for a while. As time progressed the symptoms got a little worse. The reverse started to shift hard also, and every once and a while (usually when I didn’t warm up the car long enough) the hard shifting would make D4 start flashing and the gears wouldn’t engage and I would have to turn of the car, change to Park, turn on the car and back to D4.

So finally I decided to take it to another trany shop. They scanned the car and the following code came up:

P0700 FAULT IN TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE
P0739 3RD PRESSURE SWITCH
P0780 SWITCH MALFUNCTION
P1751 MECHANICAL FAUL IN HYDRAULIC SYSTEM

They said that the gears were burnt and that they had to put in another master rebuild kit and that the torque converter also had to be rebuilt. They went ahead and made the recommended repairs. After they completed the repairs the said that the car was still having the same issues as when I took it in. And it is still giving a P0700 error code (I asked if there were any other codes along with this one and they said the P0700 was the only error code). They said they swapped the solenoids a few other parts to see if that was the issue and that the car continued to present the same symptoms. They deduced that the computer was bad and that it had to be replaced. This is where I am at right now. I have a feel the once the computer is repairs I am still going to be left with the same problem.
Can anyone make any recommendations? A new computer is going to cost a fortune as it has to be programmed by a Honda dealer. I've looked online for something affordable but it always boils down to have to reprogram the computer at a dealer.
I am aware of the lawsuit and all considerations that Honda has given its car owners. But my car is out of warranty and it has 168K miles already. My transmission was repaired by Honda for similar issues at about 70k miles (I purchased the car at a Honda used car lot, so the engine and trany were cover under a 100k Honda certified vehicle warranty). Excuse all the incorrect terminology.

See less See more
#2 ·
P0700 is a general trans code, thrown by the PCM when the TCM side has a code in it for the trans.

The P1751 was a code for a malfunction in the shift solenoid B hydraulic circuit.

P0780 was a shift error of some sort.

P0739 is fairly common, and a code that says the pressure switch didn't close when the 3rd gear shift occurred. The MIL will come on, but the trans will still operate.

You can't do anything regarding the PCM if they want to change it, there is no plug and play, as the PCM has to be programmed to your keys. (all of them)

Wherever you were bringing the car, obviously doesn't know Honda autos very well. These units are not ones that are cheap or easy to properly to make work right. The unit should have been sent back as a core for a reman from a Honda authorized rebuilder. I doubt you'd be having the same problems over and over.

#3 ·
A P0700 code normally indicates there are more transmission codes stored. You would not expect to see a P0700 by itself. That may be another the reason the mechanic thinks you have a computer problem. The fact that the shifting problem seems to go away when the car warms up indicates the problem may be mechanical and some part not included in the "master rebuild kit" is defective. (internal fluid leak, pump producing incorrect hydraulic pressure?).
You could also try resetting the computer yourself by pulling the 7.5 amp backup fuse in the passenger side fuse panel for about 10 seconds then replacing the fuse. This is done with the ignition switch OFF. Your radio may require the security code be entered after the reset.

If you could find a used computer from the same year, same engine, same transmission and same body style, the dealer would still need to reprogram it to work with your ignition key (immobilizer). I am not sure what they charge for that. If you could find a computer with its matching immobilizer key then no reprogramming would be needed, but you would have to change your ignition lock to match the key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.