2013 interior illumination kit and dash switch blank - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 9th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

2013 interior illumination kit and dash switch blank

Traded in a 2008 EX-L V6 + Nav for the same thing in a 2013. Got Orchid Pearl vs. Alabaster Silver. In the 2008, had dealer installed accessory of interior illumination - and it had a dash switch for on/off.

After picking up the 2013 this week, noticed there was no dash switch in the blank on the left of the dash opposite LDW. The lights go on and off with the headlight switch. Therefore, there is no way to turn interior illumination off at night.

Is that right? What else would go in that empty switch blank on the dash? I'm anal....feel like I'm missing something....want to get that switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Continuously Varying

Looking at the install instructions posted here:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...entlightsa.pdf

there does not seem to be a switch to mount, it works by using the standard headlight switch.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:05 PM
4th Gear

More cost cutting for a simple accessory? I will admit that the kit LEDs are not bright enough to have a reason to turn them off. The switch in the 8th gen is more of a toy and symbol that the lights are there.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Generation 9

Yep the switch may be a toy but when you pay for something we all like the toys..I threw 2 Blue LEDS under the front seats and ran the wires up through the rear HVAC vents so they are not see and plugged them into the 12 V in the center console with a switch so I can have them off or on depending on the mood. Without the "switch" on the front panel anymore why pay for the dealer to install footwell lights that you can no longer control. Whether you turn them on or off because of brighness is entirely a different matter, but the option to do so no longer exists. I am wondering if you can buy the 8th generation kit or switch and have it installed if you wish. In other words will a third switch even fit into the panel on the left? I have Lane Warning Deactivationa nd VSA switches there already but am curious if a third matching OEM switch can even go there or if there is room.
LEDS - Interior, Doors, Maps, Dome, Trunk
Blue LEDS Center Console, Footwells Illuminated

Future Projects
Tints, the Legal NY laws
Door Sills

Products, Lexol,
WET PAINT
Old 10-15-2012, 05:25 AM
3rd Gear

the black switch is for the hybrid

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

Injen CAI
custom cat back - Magnaflow resonator 2.5" piping muffler delete
Magnaflow 4" round tips
custom short shifter
Ichiba spacers - 25mm R
3M 1080 vinyl gloss black roof & roof spoiler
PD'd wheels, grille, trim, emblems, fog rings
smoked tail lights
body coloured handles
LED interior, plate, fog & reverse lights
MMATS D300HC amp
12" MTX Thunder 2 sub in ported box
Old 10-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Generation 9

Can you simply buy the 8th Generation kit with switch and have it installed? Does it fit and it may cost more with the switch but it someone wants it, it may be an option.

Future Projects
Tints, the Legal NY laws
Door Sills

Products, Lexol,
WET PAINT
Old 10-18-2012, 05:05 PM
1st Gear

LED bulbs

EXLAccord2011 could you list the bulb sizes and link where you got the bulbs from?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Generation 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudat View Post
EXLAccord2011 could you list the bulb sizes and link where you got the bulbs from?

Thanks!

Not sure of the sizes...I just went on Ebay and searched 2013 Honda Accord Sedan and the white LEDS for the interior came up. It was a "kit" with six bulbs. 2 for puddle lights, 2 for map lights, 1 for trunk, and 1 for dome light..I am gonna search for the 2 LEDS that go above the license plate next week as a seperate purchase. They were not in the lit. The kit was around 29.00, not including shipping. They look great and make a huge difference at night when you use map light or open the doors. Well worth the 30.00 2013 is new and not many vendors on EBAY yet advertising lights so you will probably find the vendor I used if you don't wait too long. Higly recommend interior LEDS.

Future Projects
Tints, the Legal NY laws
Door Sills

Products, Lexol,
WET PAINT
Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 PM
♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudat View Post

Thanks!
TRY THIS PLACE
Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 PM
FIRST NEW CAR!!! sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caston Snook View Post
Traded in a 2008 EX-L V6 + Nav for the same thing in a 2013. Got Orchid Pearl vs. Alabaster Silver. In the 2008, had dealer installed accessory of interior illumination - and it had a dash switch for on/off.

After picking up the 2013 this week, noticed there was no dash switch in the blank on the left of the dash opposite LDW. The lights go on and off with the headlight switch. Therefore, there is no way to turn interior illumination off at night.

Is that right? What else would go in that empty switch blank on the dash? I'm anal....feel like I'm missing something....want to get that switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXLAccord2011 View Post
Yep the switch may be a toy but when you pay for something... Without the "switch" on the front panel anymore why pay for the dealer to install footwell lights that you can no longer control.
I'm pissed. 2013 Honda Accord- first new car I've ever bought- got a great deal on the price so I decided to get some options to jazz up the car (I need a nice looking car for my job). Looking at the marketing materials in the show room (and again when I got home online), I liked the illuminated door sill and the interior illumination.The interior illumination option CLEARLY said/says "a soft blue light... integrates with the interior lights... includes on/off feature" so I'm like "cool, when I open the doors the blue illuminated door sills and the color-matching 'interior illumination' (aka footwells/ down by the feet) will come on to light the way for people to get in (I often drive older people around for my business), and then when I close the door everything will go off while I'm driving. I then paid about $250 for the interior illumination feature alone (for a kit that costs 105 bucks)!

Dealer then called ME to set up an appointment to install options; I drop off the car. I call them 4 hours later to see if my car is read? "Oops! We don't have time to finish and we don't have all the parts anyways. Can you leave the car overnight?" Wow. I finally get the car back. Interior lights are red? Ok, I have a Sport, and I guess that model has a "special" red light interior illlum.; so ok understandable mistake (although the options marketing booklets in the dealer I originally read said nothing about red since it was for the 2012 model= no Sport I guess. There were "no 2013 booklets available"). I drop off the car again and they switch it out to blue. I pick up the car and OOPS, where's the on/off switch (what's an "on/off feature" supposed to be interpreted as?! As mentioned, earlier in this thread, evidently the 2012 option DID have a switch, but not the 2013?) AND OOPS the interior illumination lights AREN'T connected to the dome or mirror lights a.k.a NOT "integrated with the interior lights"- they're connected to the headlights?! (which, last I checked, are EXTERIOR lights) Btw the 2012 has the same thing with the exterior lights, also contrary to the marketing materials. The service guy is confused; he says that he installed the options exactly according to instructions- and evidently he did. After much pressuring, he finally tells me to bring the car back AGAIN and installs a miniature switch waaaay under the steering wheel- I guess I don't rate an actual factory switch to fill up either of the two empty blank slots. After more pressure, he finally said they "hypothetically might be able to rig up something with relays to make it 'integrate with the interior light', but that would void the warranty coverage" and his "management had gone as far as they wanted to go so it would basically be directly coming out of his department's pocket" = Ouch!

So I can't get mad at the sales guy, because he didn't know- it's a brand new car and he just went off the marketing materials. I can't get mad at the service guy, because he didn't know and followed the factory installation directions to the letter, and I suppose, is sorta trying to 'fix' the 'problem'. I guess I have to say WTF HONDA; get your g*dd*mn marketing materials straight, because paying $250+ for something that is NOT what I was showed and told I was paying for (interior lights on while driving = annoying! + no switch?) and NOT going to be under factory warranty (I ponied up $ for a 8yr/120k extended warranty to!) but instead some janky whatever-we-can-whip-up-due-to-intense-pressure-installation, is at the least ridiculous and at worst a violation of a contract and maybe FRAUD. I could of just bought the kit (for 100 bucks) and the switch for $15, had some aftermarket shop install 'em for 100 bucks and saved myself now SIX trips (soon to be 7!) to the dealership (plus trips back and forth and several days without my car WHICH I NEED FOR MY BUSINESS! Cr*ppy, tiny rental car? = weaksauce).

Whew. Lol sorry about that I just had to vent. So BE WARNED- in the case of dealer installed interior illumination on a Honda Accord YOU WILL NOT GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR. ( I will see how the dealer finishes handling this but I am definitely going to be writing to the factory! So far since then one of the brake rotors have been making scary noises and the TPMS lit up for for awhile for "no reason"... le sigh.)
Old 11-28-2012, 01:04 PM
♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

AccordSportGuy

Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

Outside of the interior light issue, how do you like the lighted door sill? How is it controlled?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Hematitan

The dealer owes me Body Side Molding, so I'm going to try to get a switch put it, myself.

I swore I saw the 'on/off switch' offered as well, I think I could persuade them, because, after all, I could ask them to remove it and refund me because it's not as advertised, I mean, I cannot turn it off!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:47 AM
FIRST NEW CAR!!! sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Outside of the interior light issue, how do you like the lighted door sill? How is it controlled?
I like the look of the lighted door sills; the extra chrome perhaps adds a "touch of class" la Mercedes-Benz, and the lit up "Accord" lettering, lol well... idk about classy but it looks cool imho (and is possibly useful for old people who can't see well at night). Bright enough to be easily seen/noticed in the daytime. It works off the door switch- seemed to be a somewhat tricky install for a layman (hey, I handle changing my car's fluids at least!) and potentially gets a lot of abuse so having the dealer do it, = "under warranty" seemed a good idea. And when I (someday?!) get the interior illumination integrated with these and the dome lights replaced with the LED bulbs I just ordered, the effect of opening a door to blue all around should look purty nifty.

That being said:

-these cost me over $450... ouch! Especially since only the two front door sills are actually illuminated; the rear ones are shorter and simply (unlit) chrome/steel (btw I did ask a parts guy if they all lit up before I bought them; he said "I would assume so" but then I forgot to double check to actually confirm that. Doh!) Oh, and bulbs burning out it not covered under warranty...

-they are already getting dirty easily and showing signs of perhaps scratches, so the whole "helping protect the lower door sill from scuff marks and dents" thing might be kinda not a good reason to get them. If anything they highlight dirt+scratches moreso.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:45 AM
FIRST NEW CAR!!! sweet.

just a follow up- Concord Honda (California) Service Consultant Bryan made sure what I got what I originally paid for (finally lol)- interior illumination that is integrated with the interior lights!! (a la doors opening) Sweet! It even auto-dims on and off. Matches the illuminated door sills beautifully.

Speaking of matching beautifully I also just replaced my dome light with a blue wedge LED bulb (different than the 8th generation Accord's bulb btw!) from SuperBrightLeds.com. Also got a 10% off coupon! = SUP3061 Great customer service over there and the light is super bright (go figure). LOOKS AWESOME!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.