Engine - Rattles On Cold Start-Up - Page 11 - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfc70 View Post
Well, my 2011 just started making the rattle noise at start up. 21k miles. It usually lasts a second or two, but sometimes up to 6-8 seconds. It sounds horrible! I have taken it to the dealer twice, but it won't do it then. What ****s even more is not having Honda give out loaner cars. Getting a ride back from the dealer, finding a ride to work and a ride home. Then getting a ride back to the dealer to find out they could not duplicate the problem. Since the 2011 models are not under the TSB, the dealer needs to document the problem before doing any work. They also won't cover a rental car until warranty work commences. This is going to be a long drawn out arduous process.
When I discussed this with my technician, he noted that my car was covered under the TSB so yours should be as well. Please make a recording if possible...I want to know if yours is like mine (getting worse as time goes on...if it goes, I hope I'm within warranty).

Although the tech was unable to replicate the noise overnight, I discussed it with him. My question was this: why does the old K24 sound normal upon startup (2007 CRV) while my newer K24 Accord has a rattle/grind during most cold starts? He told me it has to do with tighter tolerances and thinner oil. I would accept that answer if every cold start was the same...I started the car at 8*F this weekend without rattle, but just this morning (24*F) there was a quick loud "chipping-rattle." Then, of course, something in my transmission rattling around. My car sounds like it's old lol.

In short, TSB #SB-09-010 now includes Accords through 2012. Definitely take it in and try...I was told that since I've complained about this issue, it is in the "system" and Honda is more likely to help out if I encounter problems in the future.
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bravo View Post
When I discussed this with my technician, he noted that my car was covered under the TSB so yours should be as well. Please make a recording if possible...I want to know if yours is like mine (getting worse as time goes on...if it goes, I hope I'm within warranty).

Although the tech was unable to replicate the noise overnight, I discussed it with him. My question was this: why does the old K24 sound normal upon startup (2007 CRV) while my newer K24 Accord has a rattle/grind during most cold starts? He told me it has to do with tighter tolerances and thinner oil. I would accept that answer if every cold start was the same...I started the car at 8*F this weekend without rattle, but just this morning (24*F) there was a quick loud "chipping-rattle." Then, of course, something in my transmission rattling around. My car sounds like it's old lol.

In short, TSB #SB-09-010 now includes Accords through 2012. Definitely take it in and try...I was told that since I've complained about this issue, it is in the "system" and Honda is more likely to help out if I encounter problems in the future.
I will have to recheck with the dealer, mine said it was only through 2010. Yes, mine is getting worse rather quickly. But it does not do it every time. Since Honda has not updated the part number, I'm assuming it was a manufacturing issues at the parts supplier. Something was out of tolerance or not hardened right. My concern is that mine started right at 20k miles, and it seems others have had more than one replaced. I really don't want to do this all over again in 20k miles. A little more assurance from Honda that they identified the issue and that it is fixed permanently, would go along way towards making me think about buying another Honda.

"I tip my hat to the man who drives an Alfa Romeo" - Henry Ford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bravo View Post
When I discussed this with my technician, he noted that my car was covered under the TSB so yours should be as well. Please make a recording if possible...
I pasted a link to a YouTube video with the sound on the previous page. It sounds exactly like that doesnt it?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:36 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33rd View Post
I pasted a link to a YouTube video with the sound on the previous page. It sounds exactly like that doesnt it?
Yup, but sometimes it rattles longer and runs rough during the incident. I called dealer today and he said he is going to check with Honda, but he stated again, 2008-2010 M/Y only.

"I tip my hat to the man who drives an Alfa Romeo" - Henry Ford
Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 PM
3rd Gear

My tech told me that it was in Honda's "system." Here is a link to automd regarding the cold start rattle:

http://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b326037/

It may or may not be useful, but that is about the only backup I have for my tech's claims. I first noticed this on my car around 15k miles; I am currently around 25k and it is a bit louder and more frequent. Oh well...not much I can do when this is my only vehicle. Hope I was able to help some.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 AM
4th Gear

Well, taking my car in on Monday to have the dealership take another look (4th time). I cannot stand the noise any longer. I will hold their feet to the fire, get Honda HQ involved, whatever I have to do. I don't care how they fix it, but they are going to fix it. They have never done sh!t in the past because they cannot replicate the problem. Well, I've got 5 recordings on my phone, as well as a link on YouTube I've made of the noise, along with the TSB. We'll see...
Old 02-18-2013, 05:40 AM
4th Gear

W00t! At the dealership now on their wifi. Cars getting the faulty VCT actuator fixed and at 67,000 miles its covered since I mentioned it several times while under warranty. I'll get the details of parts used / time to fix / and if the fix lasts.

Probably didn't hurt that it's 40 degrees now in FL and the rattle was hella loud.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 PM
4th Gear

6 hours later and $0 spent, they replaced the actuator per TSB 09-010. Car runs great right now, tomorrow mornings cold start will be the first test to see if the rattle is gone. Had virtually no problem getting them to do the work under warranty (for a car that's out of warranty) since I had it documented with them twice while under warranty.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

I had mine replaced at 61k in November 2011 and I had to pay out of pocket. I took it back in May 2012 because I was getting an intermittent rattle on cold starts. They gave me some crap about the oil level being low and no ADBV on the filter. I had just done an oil change and the filter definitely had a silicone ADBV, yet the sound didn't return until this winter. Now at 80K, the rattle is back...and loud. I moved this past summer, so I'll have to take it to a different dealer. I'd like Honda to fix it on their dime, but I have a feeling that's not likely. This car is driving me nuts!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:24 AM
1st Gear

engine rattles on cold start up

anyone has solved this problem without replacing the VTC actuator, because as far as I can notice that the grinding noise comes back after a while.

i have this noise maybe once in a 10 days accord 09 lx manual
Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 AM
3rd Gear

Engine - Rattles On Cold Start-Up

Mine made a noise too. It was loose engine mounts then there was also an oil issue on cold starts. An oil change corrected the problem

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Mods
Fog Lights added on
Tints: 30%
HID Kit both Low-beam [5k] and Fog Light [10k]
M3 Roof Spoiler [recently "removed" - will replace]
Stock Wheels w/Blizzak WS70 225/50/R17

Future Mods
American Racing AR896 18X7.5
Contiental DW 235/45/R18
K&N Typhoon SRI
Borla Exhaust Tip
Rear Lip Spoiler
Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow-Exodus View Post
Mine made a noise too. It was loose engine mounts then there was also an oil issue on cold starts. An oil change corrected the problem

what oil you using?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow-Exodus View Post

What oil did you change to?
DIY Condenser Grille Insert
Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 PM
2nd Gear

I just bought an 08 accord with the 100k miles on it. It has this grinding noise start up problem. I'm not saying that this will fix it long-term but for those of you with tight budget and want a short term fix.... I've used Slick 50 and have not heard the problem since ive used slick 50. Approx 15 starts. I'm having the VTC changed this weekend so I dont know how long it will have helped. I know a lot of you are against oil additives so be gentle on reply comments. I'm not trying to sell slick 50 I swear im just looking out
Old 03-20-2013, 04:41 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diso79 View Post
because as far as I can notice that the grinding noise comes back after a while.

i have this noise maybe once in a 10 days accord 09 lx manual
My VTC was replaced about a month ago. My goal is to get rid of the car before the rattle comes back. Honda is notorious for replacing faulty parts, with a brand new version of the same faulty part
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.