Accord Sport vs Civic Si - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > General Drive

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 05:46 AM
Low Gear

Accord Sport vs Civic Si

Both are exactly the same price. 6spd, wheels, spoiler, I4. Ok, I know the differences, and they are two different cars.

Which would you get?

The answer is, depends on your needs. Since we are all Accord owners, our needs (and wants) are rather similar.

So which would you get for your $23,500? And why?

2013 Accord Sport or Civic Si sedan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 AM
No lifetime fluids!

IMO I'd get the Accord. Better looking, more room, more comfort -- I'm a big guy, Civic is too small for me on a daily basis.

Can carry 4 people more comfortably.

Accord seems more mature to me. I'd be inclined to think that if I had a Si that every Fast and Furious lover would give me a few revs and expect me to race. I could be stereotyping however.

Both are nice cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 07:09 AM
1st Gear

i'll bet you will get a completely different answer if you post this on 9thgen.

Shocking, i know.

Past Accords: '85, '90, '98, '04
Old 03-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Low Gear

That's why I posted it here. Like Honda's plan, I did go from Civic/Integra to Accords and such.

The Accord make senses, a better car. But Civic has always been in my heart. I'm sure some of you can relate to this.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

I have had both (2 civics - 5 accords) - i am a fairly big guy at 6'1 235 - i just find i can live long term with the accord easier than the civic.

Past Accords: '85, '90, '98, '04
Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 AM
1st Gear

On looks and comfort alone I would choose the Accord, however I would rather have a v6 in a car like the accord.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:48 PM
3rd Gear

i was looking at both. it came down to style and gas. i didn't like the redesign of the 9th gen civic si. however, they did a nice job with updating the rear tail lights for the sedan. i also didn't feel like it was worth paying for premium gas.

if you're young and want to have a little more fun, get the civic si. if you want a car that looks great, performs decently, and will age well, the accord is a safe choice.

both are great cars.
3. '10 G37 Sedan 7AT

Current:
'13 Honda Accord Sport Sedan 6MT MSM
Old 03-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Sales Consultant for Hond

Drove the accord sport. Check out a mini comparison video I did of the accord sport vs sedan si. I've driven the coupe si but not the sedan yet. I'm basically judging how the cvt tranny is vs driving a stick shift. I've only owned manual trannys for the last nine years so I was a bit hesitant on even driving the cvt with paddles. They really blew me away i was shocked at the response time of the paddles. The video was taken in an accord sport while driving (sorry for crappy video quality as I did not know I was going to be taking the accord out I didn't get a chance to grab a camera). And also I had the phone clipped to my shirt so video may be shaky. But the video does do some justice and if you listen closely you can hear how quick the cvt shifts after hitting the paddle. For convenience and comfort with a little bit of sportiness the accord wins. But for pure driving excitement I take the si. www.facebook.com/Michael.hong.7334

10% Tints all around
4300K Phillips HID
JDM Yellow Fogs

Everything else is Stock
Old 03-10-2013, 08:24 AM
4th Gear

1 main thing that will make me choose the accord over the Si, is regular fuel over premium. If I am not mistaking the Si takes in premium and I simply don't want to pay that extra money for fuel. Also I have owned an Acura RSX type S (similar to the Si) and I can tell you the accord is much more roomy and comfortable and more "classy"

2005 Honda Accord Coupe 5 MT Totaled

2011 Honda Accord Coupe EX 4 Cyl 5MT
  • Takeda SRI
  • Fog lights
Old 03-10-2013, 12:03 PM
1st Gear

Just had a brother-in-law buy the Civic. Didn't want the 4-cyl in the Accord, and didn't want to put a V6 in it. So- the Civic. Any rationale that ended in "Civic" wouldn't matter to me, because at 2 meters, I don't fit in 'em.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Zombie Hunter

I love the si sedan. It's like a poor mans m5 to me.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:16 PM
*KindaFondaHonda*

If all I could afford is that price, I'd go with the Accord Sport, with one very personal caveat: Without a power moonroof even offered on a Sport, I'd pass on both. But the Civic, I'm sure, is no Accord.

I'd just get the next step up from the Sport that has the moonroof, have the little spoiler installed, and switch out the wheels (if those are the reasons for liking the Sport model. I don't really know the details of the '13 trim specifics/content). Overall though, I'd go for an Accord for long-term satisfaction, refinement, and solidity.

Of course personally, the point is moot... we only buy V6's (and more ), so this is an exercise in worthless hypotheticals.

-- 2010 Infiniti M35 -Advanced Tech. Liquid Platinum Pearl (Mine) --
-- 2013 Infiniti QX56 Touring/Theater/Tech. Dark Currant Mica (Wife's) --
**2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan. Desert Mist/Ivory (Now Our "Extra" Car)**

-- 2013 MINI Cooper Countryman Turbo S. Blazin' Red/White (Daughter's) --
-- 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE. Merlot Pearl (Son's) --

------------
Our Westie is smarter than your "Honor" Student!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 AM
Sales Consultant for Hond

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordexlv6 View Post
If all I could afford is that price, I'd go with the Accord Sport, with one very personal caveat: Without a power moonroof even offered on a Sport, I'd pass on both. But the Civic, I'm sure, is no Accord.

I'd just get the next step up from the Sport that has the moonroof, have the little spoiler installed, and switch out the wheels (if those are the reasons for liking the Sport model. I don't really know the details of the '13 trim specifics/content). Overall though, I'd go for an Accord for long-term satisfaction, refinement, and solidity.

Of course personally, the point is moot... we only buy V6's (and more ), so this is an exercise in worthless hypotheticals.
To me the biggest difference between the EX model and the Sport model would be the keyless enter and start. It is so convenient to be able to just leave the key in my pocket and have the doors unlock themselves and start the engine with the push of a button. Unfortunately you cannot get the EX equipped with the CVT paddleb shifters available with the Sport. I'm a die hard fan of manual transmissions but am looking to get an automatic for my next car. The CVT adds comfort in my life but with the paddle shifters I can still have fun. They really are responsive and is actually kind of fun to drive. A great alternative when it comes to missing a clutch

10% Tints all around
4300K Phillips HID
JDM Yellow Fogs

Everything else is Stock
Old 03-11-2013, 03:31 PM
*KindaFondaHonda*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn973to215 View Post
To me the biggest difference between the EX model and the Sport model would be the keyless enter and start. It is so convenient to be able to just leave the key in my pocket and have the doors unlock themselves and start the engine with the push of a button. Unfortunately you cannot get the EX equipped with the CVT paddleb shifters available with the Sport. I'm a die hard fan of manual transmissions but am looking to get an automatic for my next car. The CVT adds comfort in my life but with the paddle shifters I can still have fun. They really are responsive and is actually kind of fun to drive. A great alternative when it comes to missing a clutch
As I mentioned, I really don't know very much about the ins and outs of each trim level and nuances of the 2013 Accord (not so with the Gen7). I was just trying to make a broad generalization. You must know more about specifics than I do.

Our last 3 new cars have had the IntelliKey and PB start (Murano LE, M35, QX56). Would never even consider a car in the future with a physical key. Indispensable. Spoiled by technology.

We had a CVT in the Murano. The Murano was a 3.5 V6 and had plenty of power. The CVT was really hardly ever noticed. Because the Murano was so well sound insulated and engine noise/vibration was muffled, it was all but impossible to tell when the engine RPMs were elevated. Not a single hiccup in the 4 years we had it.

I think paddle shifters are a sort of novelty when new, but 'ya quickly learn their purpose is limited in an AT. My M35 has a manual shifter for the 7-spd. AT. I've moved the shifter over into manual mode a few times. It works seamlessly and promptly (with rev-matching), but frankly it's not something I use much. It works so perfectly on it's own, I just forget about it.

BTW... still would go with the Accord than a Civic at my age (a still youthful 46).

-- 2010 Infiniti M35 -Advanced Tech. Liquid Platinum Pearl (Mine) --
-- 2013 Infiniti QX56 Touring/Theater/Tech. Dark Currant Mica (Wife's) --
**2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan. Desert Mist/Ivory (Now Our "Extra" Car)**

-- 2013 MINI Cooper Countryman Turbo S. Blazin' Red/White (Daughter's) --
-- 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE. Merlot Pearl (Son's) --

------------
Our Westie is smarter than your "Honor" Student!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 AM
Low Gear

^^ Can you comment on the battery life of a smart key? I read about it on a Nissan forum that it eats battery rather quickly. And also offers what happens when the battery goes bad. I know used the key. The fob is just a case that holds a real key. Anyhow, share some real world experiences. I heard the salesman's pitch and how fun it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.