Accord 8th Gen Garmin Nuvi GPS Aftermarket OEM Installation - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 07:27 PM
2nd Gear

Accord 8th Gen Garmin Nuvi GPS Aftermarket OEM Installation

Garmin has recently released new 7" Garmin Nuvi and Dezl GPS systems. These units have awesome features some of which are not found in any other factory or aftermarket I've seen and I really like Garmin's mapping technology. However, I'm tired of having this large GPS sitting on my dashboard (likely a magnet for theft not to mention the real estate it takes up on the dash). I would very much like to install the Garmin Nuvi 2797LMT 7" GPS with a factory OEM look much like the attached pic if it is possible. Hopefully the Honda radio LCD screen could be relocated to the bottom of the console storage area (perhaps longer cables are available from somewhere). However, I'm just not sure how the Garmin Nuvi would fit and I was hoping perhaps someone has tried this or knows where you can get a kit for aftermarket installs. I don't want the Schoche panel which replaces your temp controls with a touchscreen. Instead, I want a 7" Garmin in the area designed for the GPS screen. Are

The only other alternative I can think of is a custom dashboard modification which creates a shroud / console / fascia which Hyundai has. Isn't there anything like this for Honda Accord too?
Attached Images

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 AM
3rd Gear

Search for chuangandrew's build thread.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:54 AM
2nd Gear

Question

I have PM'd chuangandrew and am awaiting a reply. I found another picture on the forums of what I believe it will look like; I just need to know where to get the parts. (I don't need a DVD player though as the pic shows) In the meantime, if anyone else can answer these questions, I'd greatly appreciate it because I am unable to find info. on where these items were obtained:

1. Where can I get the black plastic navigation fascia to surround my Garmin GPS once installed in the upper display where the radio LCD currently is? (The current plastic fascia is designed to surround the rectangular LCD and is much smaller than the navi screen would be.)
2. Where can I get the black plastic trim bracket for the radio LCD to be relocated lower down as shown in the pic?
3. Do I need to buy a cable extension or harness to move the blue radio / climate LCD from the top to the lower section as shown in the picture?
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2013, 01:28 PM
3rd Gear

Where are the buttons on the GPS unit located ? for power on/off, volume etc .. If they are stuck at the back, how do you plan to reach them ..
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ce View Post
Where are the buttons on the GPS unit located ? for power on/off, volume etc .. If they are stuck at the back, how do you plan to reach them ..
The Garmin GPS units (Dezl and Nuvi) come on automatically when the car turns on aka power to the device. They did away with volume buttons years ago. Everything is controlled by the touchscreen. In fact, many of the new units have voice command which allows you to do almost everything just by your voice. So the need to access buttons is eliminated. The only button on the back is for power. The only downside I suppose is if the GPS were to freeze/hang and needed a hard reboot when the power button is then not easily accessed. My solution to that is to have a USB cable connected so that I can apply updates and "reboot" the system if that ever happens since connecting it to the PC will cause it to reboot and go into update mode. I need the USB cable anyway for Garmin map updates from my laptop.

By the way, the USB data cable is separate from the power mount cable connection so the two can be in harmony. I'm getting more excited about the prospect of a factory OEM look, I just need to know how to get the parts and if the radio LCD screen cable is long enough to reach the bottom tray console area. Perhaps an ISO DIN trim / bracket kit would suffice if I can find one that works there.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:43 AM
2010 Honda Accord EX

With so many cars having built-in navigation these days, I am surprised to see Garmin not pursuing this market more aggressively. I love my Garmin, but it will be a back-up unit once I get the Myron and Davis unit installed. The great thing about a Garmin is you are pretty much guaranteed updates for at least 5-8 years after purchase and the updates are pretty cheap if purchased with the unit. Before buying the Myron and Davis unit, I investigated doing the same thing, but could not find a good place to permantely mount the Garmin were it did not interfere with the various controls, airbag, etc. and still looked good.

Good luck. I hope you find an answer since I think that would be a great solution for many Accord owners.

Scott C.
Subwoofer & Amp / Body side moldings / Automatc headlights / Door sill trim (4) / Navi w/DVD, Bluetooth, Rear sensors, camera, & Honda XM fin / 2011 Decklid spoiler / Leather seats & Heated fronts / Window tints (35/20) / Fog lights / Phone/MP3 holder / Rear Passenger 12v Outlet / Homelink (no batteries) / Auto Day/Night Mirror / Splash Guards & All Weather Mats / Trunk Tray
Old 04-05-2013, 11:54 AM
2nd Gear

You have a point. I believe Kenwood makes an in-dash GPS made by Garmin and possibly Pioneer but those are waaaaaaaaay more expensive than a straight up Garmin Nuvi. Plus, they do not have the free lifetime map updates and other features only found with Garmin direct products. Speaking of Myron & Davis, I found something along these lines but I just want my Nuvi up at the top of the screen and relocate the factory LCD radio screen to the bottom. Cheap solution in my mind and way cheaper than a fancy in-dash unit which does not have the same great Garmin features (like updates!!!) Why go through all that trouble only to have outdated maps or have to pay $100 every year to update. No thanks.. I don't need a DVD player and all that goofy stuff that many of the online in-dash units boast.

Still wondering where I can get an LCD extension cable (if needed) and a trim bezel after relocating the LCD screen lower down, and where to get a bracket to hold the Nuvi in the top area. Maybe I can fabricate something to hold the Nuvi up there and buy the Honda plastic trim for the top screen area. to go nicely around it.

Check this out - http://www.myronanddavis.com/images/...tall-Guide.pdf (By the way, Myron and Davis said they do not carry these parts anymore so so much for that. Somebody has to have the LCD extension cable and the OEM LCD trim panel shown here.)
Old 04-05-2013, 12:05 PM
2010 Honda Accord EX

You are talking about moving the factory LCD from the top of the dash to the bottom, correct? If you are looking for an extension harness, then you will likely need to build something yourself or hack into the wires to make them longer. One end of the cable could be found in a wrecked car, but the other end will be the issue. I have not installed my M&D navi unit yet, so I don't know what that connector looks like, but if it matches others in the center, head unit area, other plugs are possible (see my DIY posts).

Thanks for the M&D link. I wish that manual also covered the rear camera and sensors, not to mention a much greater description of what each wire attaches to (I have been following those discussions here, so I have a clear understanding of what the M&D unit is expecting).

Scott C.
Subwoofer & Amp / Body side moldings / Automatc headlights / Door sill trim (4) / Navi w/DVD, Bluetooth, Rear sensors, camera, & Honda XM fin / 2011 Decklid spoiler / Leather seats & Heated fronts / Window tints (35/20) / Fog lights / Phone/MP3 holder / Rear Passenger 12v Outlet / Homelink (no batteries) / Auto Day/Night Mirror / Splash Guards & All Weather Mats / Trunk Tray
Old 04-05-2013, 12:18 PM
2nd Gear

Yes, I want to move the factory OEM radio LCD to the bottom pocket (probably where the black flap door opens) and pop the Garmin into the new larger opening at the top after I buy one of these: http://parts.sonshonda.com/products/...TA0-A12ZA.html

I'm not sure that you could even extend the cables manually by hacking or soldering wires. It looks like a ribbon computer cable connecting to the circuit board at the back of the OEM radio / climate display.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:28 PM
2010 Honda Accord EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptownoddy View Post
Yes, I want to move the factory OEM radio LCD to the bottom pocket (probably where the black flap door opens) and pop the Garmin into the new larger opening at the top after I buy one of these: http://parts.sonshonda.com/products/...TA0-A12ZA.html

I'm not sure that you could even extend the cables manually by hacking or soldering wires. It looks like a ribbon computer cable connecting to the circuit board at the back of the OEM radio / climate display.
Clear/transparent ribbon cable or solid gray? If it is the latter, then it can be easily done. I have done this to the clear/tranparent cables (computer project, nothing car related) and it can be done, but you really have to be careful and patient. Post some pics of the cable and the connector ends.

Scott C.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear

I don't have a picture. I'm just looking at that PDF guide from that website and it kind of looks like a ribbon cable. I'm not sure.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:57 PM
2010 Honda Accord EX

Quote:
I don't have a picture. I'm just looking at that PDF guide from that website and it kind of looks like a ribbon cable. I'm not sure.
If you are talking about the copper color straping across the back of the LCD unit in section seven, then that looks like a grounding strap to me.

Scott C.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:27 AM
2nd Gear

Honda Accord OEM LCD Harness Extension Cable / Coupler

I think you are right about that being a grounding strip. So after hours of research, I think I can get everything I need EXCEPT FOR a cable extension to relocate the factory radio / climate LCD screen to the lower dash pocket area.

I found the bezel trim on this site, but it does not appear to include the cabling for the LCD screen: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...483826335.html

I would really rather not splice cables, ruin my warranty, etc. I want a plug 'n play cable to simply extend the existing OEM cable for the LCD screen to make it longer.

Dying for the answer to where I can find an extension cable like the one Myron and Davis has .......
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2013, 07:22 AM
2nd Gear

Ribbon Cable for LCD Screen?

On this YouTube video, it specifically says a ribbon cable for the LCD screen. It's sort of hard to see on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ekTVjyP1N_w
Old 04-06-2013, 07:24 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
I think you are right about that being a grounding strip. So after hours of research, I think I can get everything I need EXCEPT FOR a cable extension to relocate the factory radio / climate LCD screen to the lower dash pocket area.

I found the bezel trim on this site, but it does not appear to include the cabling for the LCD screen: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...483826335.html

I would really rather not splice cables, ruin my warranty, etc. I want a plug 'n play cable to simply extend the existing OEM cable for the LCD screen to make it longer.

Dying for the answer to where I can find an extension cable like the one Myron and Davis has .......
you will not have a warranty on the Garmin unit or the LCD screen once you relocate it regardless if you splice into or don't splice into the wires.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

why does everyone have huge mod list in sig ? make build thread->link it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aftermarket, gps, navi, navigation, retrofit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.