Fluttering noise around 60-65 miles/hr - Page 6 - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 9th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 05:24 PM
2nd Gear

For the people with the torque converter changed, how long has it been and has the problem disappear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 08:24 AM
S mode

I have this problem as well so American Honda made the arrangement with my local dealer on this because local dealer is giving me the BS. It's best to let Honda HQ deal with these dealers. I drop my car off yesterday since the tech did a test drive and he notice it as well. They gave me a loaner- Chevy Cruze from Enterprise, which is crap lol

My question for those that had the dealer apply a fix- how long of a wait for them to get this fix?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by c7oud View Post
I have this problem as well so American Honda made the arrangement with my local dealer on this because local dealer is giving me the BS. It's best to let Honda HQ deal with these dealers. I drop my car off yesterday since the tech did a test drive and he notice it as well. They gave me a loaner- Chevy Cruze from Enterprise, which is crap lol

My question for those that had the dealer apply a fix- how long of a wait for them to get this fix?
Funny I had a Chevy Cruze from Enterprise also!

I dropped mine off on a Monday morning and they didn't finish until the end of the next day, but I am not sure when they started working on it. The service manager wouldn't let me pick up the car until he test drove it so I picked it up in the afternoon on the third day.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 AM
S mode

WTF??? that long??? Well they better extend my rental since they only put it down for 1 day if it goes longer haha since I have Honda Care as well.

I hope I get my car back today cuz this Chevy Cruz **** lol
Old 08-08-2013, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

I have this sound its very light but can be heard with radio down. I have been able to mimic this sound by doing the following.

Between 62 and 66 mph
Check you mpg gauge and when it marks at 45 mpg is when I hear this similar noise.

Someone should try to mimic this with a V6 to see if others have this sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-18-2013, 10:33 AM
1st Gear

My V6 is making this flapping sound at highway speeds. Goes away with more throttle or a downshift. It is definitely related to VCM activating. I just wonder how it interacts with the torque converter to cause the sound. I also seem to have the same sound at lower speeds while cruising and encountering an incline. The noise is much louder in this situation, and very brief because it snaps back into V6 mode because of the extra load caused by going up a hill. It sounds chunkier, almost like a real rapid rod knock. I'll have to take it to the dealer, I suppose.

Adaptive cruise control is the coolest thing since LED headlights.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:17 AM
midisync

Honda says "...no repairs are planned"

Just got a call from American Honda and they're saying that "This is a characteristic of the vehicle and no repairs are planned"

Guess it's time to find a good attorney...
Old 08-26-2013, 02:10 PM
midisync

I'm contacting the local TV media here in the Atlanta, Georgia area. If there are other owners in this area that want to chime in about this please PM me. Thx.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

My Honda does the same thing (2013 Accord V6 EXL). I have not brought it in to the dealership and knew from the start its the VCM system. When it kicks in, it sounds just like a snare drum. I just went on a trip and heard it the whole time. It's the VCM kicking on (noise) and it kicking off (no noise).

It looks like from reading this thread, Honda has no clue what is going on.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 AM
1st Gear

My 2013 Accord V6 EXL has been making this same noise for a few months (at least). She came off the line end of November 2012. Took three trips to the dealer and finally a test drive with one of their mechanics. He definitely heard the noise (as I know how to re-create it...happens between 1500-1800 rpms - generally around 55 or 65 mph - but can be other speeds). Initial response..."mechanical." Got it up on the lift and determined it was the torque converter. It's in the shop now. I expect it back tomorrow or Friday. They told me to replace the part, they would have to remove the transmission (at a minimum), possibly drop the whole carriage. Not happy about such major "surgery" on a 9 month old car....
Old 09-11-2013, 08:27 AM
3rd Gear

I have a 2013 EXL V6 and will have to jump on the highway tonight to see if I have this problem. (I do little highway driving). The videos on page 1 aren't working. Were they taken down?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

My car is in the shop now for this condition and I am getting push back from the dealer. The noise is getting much louder as well and I have 13k on the car

Can the folks with the torque converter replaced please contact me so I can have some documentation to get me car fixed please

edmaude@gmail.com

Thanks for the help
Old 10-16-2013, 06:21 AM
'13 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by midisync View Post
Just got a call from American Honda and they're saying that "This is a characteristic of the vehicle and no repairs are planned"

Guess it's time to find a good attorney...
midisync, I took mine in on columbus day. They told me my problem was the torque converter as well and that it was characteristic of the car. But my symptoms are different. In the range of 1800-2200rpm while accelerating from a dead stop I can hear a high frequency sound similar to brake squeal. It always happens when the coaching bars are light green and I can replicate it at any speed just by applying gas lightly and not heavy. Is there any way in getting Honda to realize this isn't characteristic considering our cars didn't do this at test drive?? I'm so p/o about this! I'm just under 19k miles.
HID DDM 35w 3000k foglights
Audio system
Injen CAI
--------------------------------------------------
Commute 70% city / 30% highway
Best tank to date 374miles average fill 15gal

Last edited by wsarver; 10-16-2013 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Added mileage
Old 10-21-2013, 09:45 PM
2013 Accord Touring

looks like i'm not crazy after all. I have this issue since the first month I bought my car back in Feb 2013. I have been to multiple dealership and they give be BS saying that it's normal! I was like WTF, how is that normal. anyways, I have the same symptoms.. Mine is at RPM 1500-2000 and the MPG load has to be at 30mpg. I have '13 V6 touring at just above 10K miles. I'm going back to the dealer and I'm going to show them this thread.

Hey those of you that got the Torque Converter change, does it solve the issue?
Old 10-22-2013, 05:23 AM
1st Gear

I hear it too on the Hwy, at times, but I also get this weird high pitch whine when cruising at Hwy speeds with light throttle..typically when mpg gauge is all the way over and you are just barely touching the throttle. Goes away when engine loads up with more throttle. I have 10K on my V6 and this is the only negative so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.