Bad FM radio reception - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 07:00 AM
4th Gear

Bad FM radio reception

Before anybody asks, I do not have aftermarket tint on my windows.

What I have been noticing and wondering if anybody else notices is bad FM reception. I am not sure if this is do to the antennae being in the rear window or a problem with my radio. I live about 15 min. from Toronto and the few FM radio stations I listen to are based in Toronto. I have always been able to get great reception of these stations to about 1 hour outside of Toronto. Now even a few minutes out of Toronto and I start getting some static. Voices are clear but there is some distortion or static. I thought it maybe one of the speakers but the talk AM stations I listen to seem to be fine. This is becoming really annoying. Is anyone else experiencing this? If it is the antennae in the window being poor is there anyway to boost reception?

For those in or outside of Toronto how is your reception of 107.1 and 102.1? I live in Brampton so should have no reception issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 10:24 AM
4th Gear

In general, the FM and AM reception in my EX-L is not as good as in my Mazda. The AM is especially bad. I do have Llumar tint, but so did the Mazda. I listen pretty much exclusively to XM....which has simply great reception. Clear, no static at all.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:29 AM
can'tpoop

XM is completely clear however most of its channels are transmitted with less quality than FM so the music on XM still sounds horrible.

I too have some problems with FM radio in my car. And I begrudginly have an XM subscription that I am probably cancelling today because I don't want to pay for it. The Comedy is what I love, but the music channels sound like crap and most of them only play crap.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:28 AM
4th Gear

My FM doesn't have static, but the sound quality isn't so great. Maybe because I'm just used to listening to my iPod, i don't know. As far as XM, I didn't renew my free trial because I found the signal faded everytime i drove under trees (there are a lot of trees where I live) and it got really annoying. It was neat to have when I was on the open freeway though. AM sounds terrible to me on any radio.
4300K HID Headlights
Alpine IVA-W505
Alpine MRP-F300 4-Channel amp pushing
JBL GTO627 6-1/2" 2-ways (rear deck)
JBL GTO607C 6-1/2" (fronts)
Alpine MRP-M450 amp pushing a
Kicker TCVT122 12" sub
Old 09-16-2008, 11:29 AM
4th Gear

FM reception isn't all that great in mine either, although I do have tint.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:32 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthian84 View Post
My FM doesn't have static, but the sound quality isn't so great. Maybe because I'm just used to listening to my iPod, i don't know. .
No. You are right. Besides the bad reception the radio does not sound good. As for XM there is no way I am going to pay for it. I mostly listen to talk radio on AM occasionally listening to the few FM stations I like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.