Transmission Fluid Change Interval - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 AM
1st Gear

Transmission Fluid Change Interval

How often should I change the transmission fluid on my 07 Accord V6? Thanks for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 12:13 PM

I'm assuming this is an automatic, correct?

heavy city usage 15k max.
primarily hwy 30k max.

If you can access the filter change it at the first, then every other.

If your car is a 6 speed manual, every 30k is good, I'd remove and clean the pump's filter every 90k, after draining.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Old 03-22-2009, 04:52 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
I'm assuming this is an automatic, correct?

heavy city usage 15k max.
primarily hwy 30k max.

If you can access the filter change it at the first, then every other.

If your car is a 6 speed manual, every 30k is good, I'd remove and clean the pump's filter every 90k, after draining.
The 15k and 30k intervals also agree with my local Honda dealer's recommendations as well.

07 Moroccan Red EX-L V6 Sedan
'11 Corvette Z06/07
'12 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 PM
AV6 Owner Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Succinct
I've posted a few times about my policy with my wife's '06 Odyssey and my '06 AV6 tran fluid change intervals.

Changed both @ 15K: in both cases the fluid was more brown than I'd be comfortable leaving in the car, and there was a decent amount of detritus on the magnetic drain plug.

@ 30K I changed the Ody, fluid still looked like a pretty good red. Same story @ 45K. Still, glad I changed it both times.

I didn't change my AV6's trans fluid (since the initial 15K change) again until yesterday, at 47K miles. It was more brown than either of the Ody's 30K or 45K changes, but not too bad. There was a minimal amount of particulates on the drain plug. I think this validates my theory/practice of changing @ first 15K, and then every 30K thereafter, unless your car see harsh conditions (mine doesn't, really). I think this is optimal for my cars at least. It's cheap insurance, and changing the fluid in the AV6 is a little easier than changing the Ody's due to plastic baffle panels being in the way and the refill port being harder to reach on the Ody. Just my 2 cents.

And by "change" I mean just a simple drain it until nothing else comes out, then refilling it, usually taking between 3 to 3.5 quarts of Z1 fluid to fill it. I am NOT talking about a complete flush. I believe staying on top of things with the regular drains/refills will obviate the need for any complete "flush"....

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe. Garage Queen.
1991 Legend L sedan
2006 Odyssey EX-L/RES (Slate Green/Olive)
Veteran owner of numerous other Acura/Hondas previously
2001 CR-V LX 2WD - (R.I.P. Mom!) My son's car
SOLD: 2006 Accord EX-L V6 sedan (Sapphire Blue/Black, 5AT) - 27.2mm TL front sway bar, 20mm TL-S rear sway bar, tinted windows, 6MT shock tower brace, Michelin Primacy MXV4 (stock size 215/50-17)
Old 03-23-2009, 04:39 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succinct View Post

And by "change" I mean just a simple drain it until nothing else comes out, then refilling it, usually taking between 3 to 3.5 quarts of Z1 fluid to fill it. I am NOT talking about a complete flush. I believe staying on top of things with the regular drains/refills will obviate the need for any complete "flush"....
I completely agree, and Honda does not want anyone doing a true "flush" anyway. There's a drawn out way to change out a higher percentage of ATF, but I dont like it one bit. Such details were missing on above on previous posts.

Lots of thread on this, did you try a search?

In addition, My two cars I am in the routine of doing the 3qt drop every other oil change, which is about once a year. Its $20 for the ATF, and I'm under there anyway to drop the engine oil...so it works out nice and easy.

Please dont follow the "dealer recommended service" unless you have cash you dont need. Use the owner’s manual and have them perform service based on that, and the minder system.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 AM
5th Gear

I was taking a look at my sister's 08 Accord and noticed that the splash shield now needs to come off to drain the fluid. The clips look a little different than what I had back on my old Integra. Like this:

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pc-1...per-clips.aspx

Although I don't remember seeing the lip so that's why I'm asking, what tool have you used to pry them out without breaking them?

2007 TSX - Auto - 66k miles - Non Nav - CGP - Mine
2009 Altima 2.5 SL - 91k miles - Auto - Sister's
1999 Accord LX Sedan - Auto - 103k miles Dad's
2012 Camry LE - Auto - 4k miles Mom's

1995 Integra LS Sedan - Auto - 119k Sold 3/6/2008 Was Mine
2008 Accord EX Sedan - Auto - 37k miles Sister's Sold 6/20/2009

1995 Accord DX Sedan - Auto - 138k miles Dad's sold
Old 03-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Probably Hungover...

Send a message via AIM to DreamTFK
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconVTR View Post
Its $20 for the ATF, and I'm under there anyway to drop the engine oil...so it works out nice and easy.

Please dont follow the "dealer recommended service" unless you have cash you dont need. Use the owner’s manual and have them perform service based on that, and the minder system.
I am about to change my tranny fluid this weekend should I use Honda ATF fluid or would something from the auto store suffice?

6000k HID Headlamps/White LED DRL bulbs
19" Petrol Reach Wheels w/Crossdrilled Rotors
Tint: Windows Headlights & Reverse Lights
Blue LED Step Lights and Dome Light
Alpine Type-R Speakers Front and Back
Kicker 50x4 200W - Mids
Pioneer 600W/Kenwood 12" - Lows
JDM Style Mesh Grill
Old 03-23-2009, 08:51 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTFK View Post
I am about to change my tranny fluid this weekend should I use Honda ATF fluid or would something from the auto store suffice?
I would only use Honda ATF fluid. There are a few others that you can use but I wouldn't chance it given how picky the transmission is.

2007 TSX - Auto - 66k miles - Non Nav - CGP - Mine
2009 Altima 2.5 SL - 91k miles - Auto - Sister's
1999 Accord LX Sedan - Auto - 103k miles Dad's
2012 Camry LE - Auto - 4k miles Mom's

1995 Integra LS Sedan - Auto - 119k Sold 3/6/2008 Was Mine
2008 Accord EX Sedan - Auto - 37k miles Sister's Sold 6/20/2009

1995 Accord DX Sedan - Auto - 138k miles Dad's sold
Old 03-23-2009, 09:06 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by npolite View Post
I would only use Honda ATF fluid. There are a few others that you can use but I wouldn't chance it given how picky the transmission is.
2nd that. Honda ATF Z1 is about the same cost as others that claim to meet Honda specs. So theres no reason to use anything else IMO.

Remember to try a search for common topics. I forget sometimes too...cause its easier just to post a question. LOL
Old 03-23-2009, 02:10 PM
5th Gear

Whoa what's the interval in the owners manual? On the I4 accord it's every 100k miles!!! (i've already done a drain/fill @15k though)
Old 03-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Make that BluFlsh

The I4 transmission is less prone to problems, so it can wait longer. I still would not wait until 100k miles to change it, even with the I4.
Honda published these manuals saying to change the fluid after 100k miles, but that was before there was a recall on 03, 04 V6 transmissions. I don't think any dealership would suggest waiting that long, especially on the V6. I change the fluid on my V6 every 15k miles, and changed the filter at 60k miles. Keeping the fluid clean, by changing out 3 quarts every 15k miles, should prevent me from ever needing a flush (3 drain and fills, with a short drive in between). I do all the maintenance myself, so I can afford to do things more often.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:48 PM
4th Gear

I have a 2007 V6 AT, and my commute consisted of 60 miles roundtrip in some of the worst stop-and-go traffic imaginable (downtown Los Angeles, going with traffic both ways).

At 9K miles on the odometer, the transmission started shifting very hard. There were also times in which the shift felt like the car was going to seize up. I took it to the dealer, and they said that the ATF was very black. They flushed (3 drain-and-fills) the ATF under warranty for free. After that, it shifted smoothly again.

Another 10K later (19K now on the odometer), the rough shifting came back. This time I took it to the dealer for a single drain-and-fill of the ATF. And now smooth again.

Because of this, I do a drain-and-fill over 10K miles (every other oil change)! However, my situation is an extreme operating environment!
Old 03-24-2009, 02:43 PM
AV6 Owner Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Succinct
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight211 View Post
However, my situation is an extreme operating environment!
<Ding, Ding!> And we have a winner! Sounds like the trans fluid change interval depends greatly on how hard the tranny is used. First 15k, then every 30k works for me, but I'd say that's a minimum. Every 15K is probably better for most suburban/city dwellers, whereas you've just prescribed the remedy for those driving in extreme conditions.

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe. Garage Queen.
1991 Legend L sedan
2006 Odyssey EX-L/RES (Slate Green/Olive)
Veteran owner of numerous other Acura/Hondas previously
2001 CR-V LX 2WD - (R.I.P. Mom!) My son's car
SOLD: 2006 Accord EX-L V6 sedan (Sapphire Blue/Black, 5AT) - 27.2mm TL front sway bar, 20mm TL-S rear sway bar, tinted windows, 6MT shock tower brace, Michelin Primacy MXV4 (stock size 215/50-17)
Old 09-18-2009, 12:15 PM
4th Gear

do you guys do 3x or once drain and refill @ 15k?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:21 PM
6th Gear

Try doing a seach this topic has been covered about a 1000 times before....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.