Compartment below radio...door won't stay shut - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

Compartment below radio...door won't stay shut

I drive a 2007 Accord. The compartment below the radio has a push release door. Unfortunately, something slipped behind the door and would not allow it to open. We forced the door open, now it will not "click" shut. I attempted to fix the door, but cannot get to the inner workings. Is there a way I can take the entire compartment out and fix the door?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Sold the Accord

Yes, follow steps 1-6. You can use a wire coat hanger to substitute for the Hook Tool.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...unkchanger.pdf
Old 07-25-2009, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

Excellent! Thanks a million...I will be giving it a try today/tomorrow!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:00 PM
My First Post

Question Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
Yes, follow steps 1-6. You can use a wire coat hanger to substitute for the Hook Tool.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...unkchanger.pdf
Thanks for sharing the link hillstones.

I too have the same issue. But am stuck at the first step itself (Step 3 in document).

Car (2007 Honda XLE) is A/T and the 2 front clips of the trim ring are popping out easily, but the remaining 4 are giving no headway. Any suggestions?

Thanks !
Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekhak View Post

I too have the same issue. But am stuck at the first step itself (Step 3 in document).

Car (2007 Honda XLE) is A/T and the 2 front clips of the trim ring are popping out easily, but the remaining 4 are giving no headway. Any suggestions?

Thanks !
Work your fingers in the gap between the trim and the shifter, the clips should eventually pop out. If not, try getting a flat metal putty tool or other spatchula that you can can use to pry without damaging the trim.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:54 AM
6th Gear

Here is another like that I used when removing the aftermarket HU to put the cubby back in. Just has real pictures

http://www.beaufordbuddy.com/ipod_install_1.htm

2005 Accord Coupe i4
Old 07-30-2009, 08:39 AM
6th Gear

Quote:

Thanks !

Open the accessory plug lid (hold open since it is spring loaded) and the coin pocket lid and work your fingers along the front of that shifter trim ring. Should come right up.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the posts, everyone. I was going to ask this question, but this thread answered it all. Fixed the door in my wife's Accord following the pictures. Apparently there was a little white arm that came loose and would not allow the door hinge to snap open and shut. When my wife inquired at the dealership, they said the compartment would need to be replaced at $140 for the part alone. I'm sure their labor would have been another $150 or so. It pays to do a little research and DIY.
01 G20
11 RDX
09 G37x
00 Maxima SE - gone (Core support rust)
Old 08-02-2009, 09:03 PM
6th Gear

I had the same problem when I brought home my 7th gen. The spring on the left side of the door is loose. Take apart the center console, remove the lower console and reattach the spring.
Custom mod:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36855
DIY - 7th Gen I4 Drive Belt Replacement
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...d.php?p=624170
Old 02-08-2010, 08:30 PM
03 Accord EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobux View Post
I drive a 2007 Accord. The compartment below the radio has a push release door. Unfortunately, something slipped behind the door and would not allow it to open. We forced the door open, now it will not "click" shut. I attempted to fix the door, but cannot get to the inner workings. Is there a way I can take the entire compartment out and fix the door?

Thanks in advance!
So I am having the sort of same problem different step. My just locked shut and we can't get it to open. At this point I just need to get it open so I can get my registration ASAP (God forbid I get stopped by the police) and second I need my garage opener. It is winter. What is causing it to stay shut? A spring? On which side (trend?)?

I noticed a few posts on it. Although all seemed to be from people who kind of messed it up or broke it upon trying to get it done. If I can use a hanger to open it where exactly are the hinges/springs?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Out of Control

Quote:

Thanks !
honda xle? o.O
Old 02-09-2010, 04:07 AM
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1accord View Post
So I am having the sort of same problem different step. My just locked shut and we can't get it to open. At this point I just need to get it open so I can get my registration ASAP (God forbid I get stopped by the police) and second I need my garage opener. It is winter. What is causing it to stay shut? A spring? On which side (trend?)?

I noticed a few posts on it. Although all seemed to be from people who kind of messed it up or broke it upon trying to get it done. If I can use a hanger to open it where exactly are the hinges/springs?
Mine locked shut on me once. I took it to the dealer to get it opened and of course they had to break it to open it. They wanted to charge an outrageous price to replace it so I just used a strip of Velcro to keep it shut. Can't see it at all when it's closed.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 AM
03 Accord EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
Mine locked shut on me once. I took it to the dealer to get it opened and of course they had to break it to open it. They wanted to charge an outrageous price to replace it so I just used a strip of Velcro to keep it shut. Can't see it at all when it's closed.

Mine stuck on me once and I opened it after pressing for a few days. Was open for months then someone closed it. Now I just need to get it open once without breaking it so then maybe I can fix it as people have posted. However, I need to get my registration out of there right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.