How to replace the rear oxygen sensor in a 2004 Honda Accord LX - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > DIY

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 04:36 PM
HardCoreHondaLover

How to replace the rear oxygen sensor in a 2004 Honda Accord LX

I've been helped more times than I can remember by people who took the time to explain how to do things. This is my way of giving back.

If you need to replace the rear O2 sensor on a 2004 Honda Accord LX and don't quite know where to begin, check out the URL below. This might apply to other years, but it was performed on a 2004 Honda Accord LX.

http://sites.google.com/site/hondare...-oxygen-sensor

https://hondaaccordrepair.wordpress.com/

Hope you find this useful.

Andy

Last edited by SatinSilver; 07-23-2012 at 05:21 AM. Reason: added new link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 AM
'06 Accord Sedan

Thanks for the link. Lots of good pics. I just replaced my O2 sensor in my 2006 Accord today. It was almost impossible to get the old sensor out. It had basically welded itself in place. I had to heat it up with a torch to get it to budge. You don't the special O2 sensor socket if you remove the heat shield from around the cat (4 bolts). Then you can get at it with a wrench.
The dealer wanted over $300 to supply and install a new O2 sensor. I picked one up online from Majestic Honda for $64 and now my check engine light is gone.

Last edited by Geoff Nitrate; 01-03-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-2010, 01:18 PM
HardCoreHondaLover

Geoff, that's good info about the heat shield. I guess I had thought it was part of the catalytic converter and didn't even look haha.

Yep, you can save a ton of money if you don't mind getting a little dirty. When it warms up a bit here, I'll work on getting that doc updated
to show the heat shield and bolts (in case anyone wants to go that route). Thanks for the tips! I've added both of your suggestions (the use
of a torch and removing the heat shield) to the doc. Pics will follow.

By the way, I've driven probably 100 miles now and no more check engine light. woo hoo!

Andy
Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 AM
FL350

Nice writeup!

I did mine in the fall, pretty straightforward.

'11 Kia Optima LX
'09 Mazda 5 Grand Touring
'04 Honda Accord LX (no longer owned)
Old 05-26-2011, 11:28 AM
3rd Gear

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting that link! I have been searing all around this website and others for pictures for the 02 replacement and have been unsecessful. OP said there are a couple posts but I was never able to find them. Thanks again
Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

Would this be basically the same steps for a 2008 4 Cyl??
Old 08-15-2011, 04:46 PM
HardCoreHondaLover

I really can't say whether or not this applies to a 2008 model, but I can't imagine there being a whole lot of difference for an O2 sensor in a 2004 or 2008. All you can do is take a peek underneath the car (looking for a wire going near the catalytic converter) and look under (and behind) the front passenger seat for more wiring and a rubber grommet.

Good luck.

Andy
Old 08-16-2011, 08:08 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelsall View Post
I really can't say whether or not this applies to a 2008 model, but I can't imagine there being a whole lot of difference for an O2 sensor in a 2004 or 2008. All you can do is take a peek underneath the car (looking for a wire going near the catalytic converter) and look under (and behind) the front passenger seat for more wiring and a rubber grommet.

Good luck.

Andy
Thanks Andy, I did find the O2 sensor and it wasn't anything to get to it and replace it, my problem now is i shouldn't have trusted the Autozone code reader, it turns out to be my camshaft Pos sensor, which seems to have to be shipped in from mars..
Old 08-22-2011, 06:25 PM
HardCoreHondaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Accordex View Post
Thanks Andy, I did find the O2 sensor and it wasn't anything to get to it and replace it, my problem now is i shouldn't have trusted the Autozone code reader, it turns out to be my camshaft Pos sensor, which seems to have to be shipped in from mars..
What kind of problem you having? My wife's 95 Toyota Corolla was having a problem with starting from time to time (hot or cold). It could go days, but then it would decide not to start. You could go back later that same day and it would start. Then it could go a few days again, or just a day with the same issue. It was driving the mechanics nuts. It turned out to be the camshaft position sensor.

Andy
Old 10-09-2011, 02:52 PM
My First Post

Great post and very helpful link, especially the pics. Just got done replacing the sensor and the info was very helpful. A couple of notes from my experience: 1) I used the direct install Bosch replacement sensor (Part #137042), not the universal fit (Part #15730). 2) The sensor was frozen in place when the engine was cold. I drove the car around for 10 minutes to get some heat in the cat and the sensor came right out using an oxygen sensor socket. Just wear a good set of mechanics gloves because the socket and ratchet (actually breaker bar) will get warm. 3) My carpeting was attached under the seat (2006 2.4EX) and would not fold back as per the pics. I ended up loosening the front seat bolts and removing the rear ones so that I could tip the seat forward and have a bit more room to work. I'm not sure if this can potentially fire the airbag, so I want to reiterate what you boldly posted within the link in red, and that is to disconnect the negative battery cable. Thanks again for the details that you provided. It made the job a breeze and saved me a few hundred $$$$$.....

Last edited by henleyb; 10-09-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: additional info added...
Old 12-13-2011, 10:51 AM
3rd Gear

Nice write up! I need to do this as well, but was wondering what the Honda OEM part number for the O2 sensor was. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

I am trying to get to the grommet. However, I am having a hard time removing the shroud below passenger seat. Can anyone suggest an easy way to remove the darn thing?
Thanks.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM
HardCoreHondaLover

riteshbafna, take a look at the comments from henleyb above. He had to loosen the bolts of the passenger seat to be able to tip the seat forward (to get to the shroud). What year is your car?

Andy
Old 02-19-2012, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Hi Andy,

I was able to remove the shroud without removing seat. However, to remove the carpet I had to remove the seat because the Capet was pinned down to the floor and there was no way to get to it without removing the seat.
I don't have jack stands. So I drove my front wheels over a curb to get some clearance to get to the seonsor. But its too tight to be removed with the special tool I got from autozone. And it seems risky to me to try to remove it and then not be able to put on the new one. I might go to a mechanic to unscrew the old one and screw the new one and the do the rest myself.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshbafna View Post
Hi Andy,

I was able to remove the shroud without removing seat. However, to remove the carpet I had to remove the seat because the Capet was pinned down to the floor and there was no way to get to it without removing the seat.
I don't have jack stands. So I drove my front wheels over a curb to get some clearance to get to the seonsor. But its too tight to be removed with the special tool I got from autozone. And it seems risky to me to try to remove it and then not be able to put on the new one. I might go to a mechanic to unscrew the old one and screw the new one and the do the rest myself.
My coworker helped me remove the sensor and put a new one on.
Thanks for the detailed document.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
rear oxygen o2 sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.