bad gas mileage?? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 04:50 PM
2007 4cly honda accord

bad gas mileage??

ok so i just baught a 2007 honda accord that is a 4 cylander. the epa estimates 25 city and 35 freeway gas mileage....after a month of calculations...im getting 20.8 city, and roughly 25 freeway....to me thats bad...what could possibly cause that bad of gas mileage? i put a fuel system cleaner in it for a few weeks. thank you and any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 05:04 PM
JaGeR BOMB!

Send a message via AIM to DiSisJeRrY
do you like to step on the gas a lot? or maybe theirs a lot of stop signs or red light?

Accessories:
~ OEM Honda Engine Cover ~ OEM Mud Guards ~ OEM Honda Trunk Tray ~ OEM Center Console Tray ~ OEM Deck Lid Spoiler ~ WeatherTech Digital Fit F&R (BLACK) ~ Benen Tow Hook (BLACK) ~ WeathTech Window Visors ~
Mods:
~ Magnaflow Exhaust ~ Custom Intake ~ Blue LED Map/Dome Lights ~ Custom Lip ~ Mesh Lower Grill ~ M3 Style Roof Spoiler ~
Old 05-16-2010, 05:09 PM
2007 4cly honda accord

ive been pretty light on the gas since i got it, and becasue i wanted to test the mpg, theres stop lights, but i dont thing enough to lower my city mpg by 5, and what about my freeway mpg? i think its supposed to 35 and its somewhere between 25-27 the car has 52,000 miles on it.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:19 PM
JaGeR BOMB!

Send a message via AIM to DiSisJeRrY
tell u the truth i dont even know my own mpg lol i never pay attention to it an i never let my tank go under half so ya but something doesnt seem right should wait for other forum members to reply. also what kind of gas do u use?

Accessories:
~ OEM Honda Engine Cover ~ OEM Mud Guards ~ OEM Honda Trunk Tray ~ OEM Center Console Tray ~ OEM Deck Lid Spoiler ~ WeatherTech Digital Fit F&R (BLACK) ~ Benen Tow Hook (BLACK) ~ WeathTech Window Visors ~
Mods:
~ Magnaflow Exhaust ~ Custom Intake ~ Blue LED Map/Dome Lights ~ Custom Lip ~ Mesh Lower Grill ~ M3 Style Roof Spoiler ~
Old 05-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

It depends on so many things...altitude, grades, passengers, wind, tire pressure, oil, etc.

Normally in the Odyssey at sea level highway I get 26MPG. At 7000ft, I got 31MPG.

I drop 400ft elevation on my way to work. I gain the 400ft on the way back. On the way there, I get 42MPG. On the way back, I get 35MPG.

If I have no wind, I average 37MPG. On days that there's 40MPH head winds combined with the 400ft elevation gain, I get 27MPG.

With tire pressure at 35PSI, I average 35MPG. Bumping it up to 40PSI, I can do 38.

When I ran 10W-40 in my old Accord, I got 23 city. When I went down to a 5W-20, it came up to 24-25.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:21 AM
2007 4cly honda accord

I live in northridge california, tire pressure is 38 psi, oik is 5w20, its not windy or anything, i use 91 octane chevron gasoline... Idk my last car was a v6 pontiac grand am and i was getting better gas mileage lol...
Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 AM

What method do you use for calculating fuel mileage?

99 Accord Coupe: 2.3, 166k, original owner.(sold)

94 Civic Coupe: manual (sold with 45k)

83 Cutlass Supreme Coupe: Traded in with 67k.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:38 PM
2007 4cly honda accord

i fill the car all the way up, as much gas as i can put in it...i set my trip meter to 0. when i fill up again i check how many gallons it takes to fill up...i then devide the miles on my trip meter by the number of gallons it took to fill up my car...for example: my car is full at the beggining of the week, i make sure to drive only city. say i drive 200 miles...then i fill up, say the car takes 10 gallons, i divide 200 by 10.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:35 AM
2007 4cly honda accord

In my other car i had a big subwoofer box, 2 amps and a tool box... It was v6, the epa estimated that car to get 21 mpg street... I was getting 19.5 or so... I dont have anything in my trunk in this car...
Old 05-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Drop to 87 octane for several tanks to see if the MPG improves. It will also save you some $$$$. My MPG dropped like a rock when I used anything above 87.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:37 PM

Do not fill the car beyond the point the nozzle clicks off. Maybe 1 or 2 more clicks, tops. That's it.

You can accidentally overload the vapor recovery system with raw fuel, this will destroy the entire EVAP system. It's not made to deal with liquid fuel.

I'd expect to see 18-20 in strictly slow speed city, stop and go. That seem to be where the K24 ends up. Highway, where you're more than 70% at speeds of 65-75 mph, I'd think you should see at least 30 if not better.

I agree with RT, there's no need to use 91 octane fuel, especially in California. Since the higher octanes there will have much more ethanol which will kill your mpg.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Old 05-20-2010, 05:00 PM
2007 4cly honda accord

Will higher octane gas burn cleaner and keep my fuel system cleaner?... So 18-20 mpg city is normal?... That doesnt seem to great for a 4 cylander honda... Especially since i was getting that i a v6 pontiac lol... Well if its normal than i guess theres not much i can do lol... I guess ill lower the octane and make sure to not over fill the car, i normally over fill it quite a bit...thanks for all the help... If possible it would be cool if people could post their gas mileage here so me and others can compare, maybe it will help other people with their gas mileage wonders... Thanks all, the help and advice was appreciated
Old 05-20-2010, 05:39 PM

All gasoline contains some detergents, so I don't think it'll make a difference. In CA, especially they use ethanol as an oxygenate, plus some other garbage too. Your 91 octane "super" isn't what we have. We used to have up to 95 octane, but now that Sunoco is gone, no more. 93 is the highest now.

What brand of fuel are you using?

Don't forget, the 4 cylinder does have to work harder in getting the car moving than a V6 would.

If you do a search, there should be plenty of threads on fuel economy here.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Old 05-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Out of Control

Check your air filter, Check your sparks, how many miles do you have on your car? Last tune up? extra weight in the trunk? OEM wheels or some heavy 20? ummm that all I can think of right now. My old i4 used to get 27 to 32. on long trip I can get 450miles before the lights come on.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

My 04 2.4l five speed got consistent 25 in town and 35 on the road. That was A/C on 100% of the time. Best ever was 38.9 but I did have several mods that improved performance and mileage. My right foot and traffic conditions determined the mileage more than anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.