Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Which tires?

• Hankook Ventus Evo 12

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Falken Ziex 912

Votes: 7 41.2%

Which tires? Hankook Evo 12 or Falken Ziex 912?

15K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  FollowingNFront 
#1 ·
I am going to be getting new tires hopefully in about 2-3 weeks.

My (previously front) 2 OEM Michelins are badly worn at just over 22k miles, and the (previously rear) 2 OEM michelins are getting there at 42k+.

I hate the road noise and rough ride that the OEM Michelins produce, and I want a nice, COMFORTABLE, quiet ride...

Thinking between these two:

Hankook Ventus Evo 12:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...5&fclr=&fcb=&sw=false&pc=11190&pager.offset=0

Falken Ziex 912:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...c=18113&counter=1&ar=50&rd=17&sw=false&cs=215

Input would be appreciated.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Theyre both All-seasons with soft compounds... Not summers

#4 ·
BS here's the proof

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison_tests/hankook_ventus_v12_evo_page_10

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/hankook/hankook-tires.jsp
"Max Performance Summer

Ventus S1 evo

Ventus V12 evo K110"

"The Ventus V12 evo K110 is Hankook's Max Performance Summer tire developed for the drivers of sports cars, sporty coupes and high-performance sedans. The Ventus V12 evo is designed to combine comfort and control in dry and wet road conditions. However like all summer tires, the Ventus V12 evo is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

No part of that said All-Season. My friend has these tires they were toast in 9 months and she has under 30K on her 08 so she doesn't drive a million miles a year. Quiet comfortable tires don't wear like that, oddly enough summers do. And guess what complaint I hear the most about Falkens, especially the ZE-512 which your tire replaced? Wear and noise after 10k...believe me, those Falkens are so cheap I really wanted to like them but decided to throw in a few more bucks and get something worth my time. $80 on a 20k tire or $120 on a 60k tire...which is a better idea? Throw in $20/tire mounting and balancing and it's not even funny.

#5 ·
Well, the Hankook's get GREAT reviews on DiscountTire.com

And in that same Car and Driver article: "With above-average wet and dry performances, and tying for quietest on the street loop"

They are said to be comfortable and quiet by every reviewer who's review I have read.

And for that matter, so are the Falken 912's.

I'll bite though... What tire do you recommend?

#6 ·
:dunno:........ I use 1 brand and Only 1.... YOKO's:biggrin: (YES), I'm sure there are better tires or brands out there, but from their cheapest to most expensive ones I've used, They seem to be all around good buy. Life, Noise, Grip, Wet, Dry,.... not so much in the snow lol, and of couse price.

Out of these I,d say Hankook. When trying to convince myself to try other tires (after reading reviews all day) it's Yoko's, kook, and kumho in top 3. (used kumo on integra a few times when I didn't wanna pay Yoko price)

#8 ·
I am keeping the 50 sidewall. Wouldn't dream of going 45.

So have you ridden in the car with the Falkens?

How do you like the handling/comfort?

#14 ·
We talked already, but I really do like my Falken. The Hankook you are talking about, my Dad and I looked at, but we could not get a good of a deal on them. The thing I really like about the Falken is the unique tread pattern that makes it all-season...I still have the pamphlet for them tires if you want me to take a pic or photocopy

#15 ·
Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 is a summer tire. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R7K110XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

best bet is check the tire rack survey (its got a lot more than just the few reviews on discount tire). Remember to pay attention to how many miles they have logged they let this skew their results.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

top of the list is the http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Exalto+A/S I generally hear really good things a about this tire, in fact Ive never heard anything bad.

also the bridgestone pole position 960 is a pretty well established performance tire, and get high marks for noise and comfort

Not to knock them but hannook and falken are generally cheaper brands and if your picky I think your less likely to be happy with them.

#16 ·
+1 for Tirerack.com reviews.

As for other tires to look at, I'll throw another vote to the Yokohamas. I had them on my Mazda 6 before I sold it, and I have them on my Accord now. Great tires IMO.

#18 ·
I have the General UHPs 225 45 17, very quiet, good ride, almost too soft as the sidewalls are soft.

When these go I may look at the Bridgestone RE760s. But I do have winters to change to.

I don't like either of the two you chose, as I've seen them over time, they cup and get extremely noisy. The Falkens are especially bad for that.

These I've found to be very quiet, ride decently.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...VR75000M&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

#20 ·
I've ordered the Continental Extremes DWS to replace my 10 year old Michelins on my 4 year old car!!! They are a little more $$$ but are so highly rated on Tire rack that I am confident that they are the best tire for the $$$.

#22 ·
Also, thanks to everyone else who has posted thus far as well! You guys are all helping me find out what kind of tire I want.

#24 ·
#25 ·
Of the two, I vote for the Hankook. That's what I have on now. My friend has the Falken on his car. Both are good tires. While the Hankook's are quieter and handle better than the Falken's, the Falken's should last a wee bit longer than the Hankook's, if you care about tread life.

You just missed the Hankook $50 rebate... ended May 31.

The Conti DWS are great tires... but they may be back ordered. They were for me. I got tired of waiting after 2+ months and got the Hankook's instead.

If you step up to 225/50-17, you'll have a lot more options than 215/50-17.

#28 ·
Ok guys so I did some reading up on tirerack and I am thinking of either the Continental ExtremeContact DW, and Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

In 225/50/17 the DW's are $561 shipped, and the DWS's are $537 shipped

In 215/50/17 the DW's are $532 shipped, and the DWS's are $517 shipped (but the DWS in this size are on backorder).

Anybody have any input on these tires? From the reviews they are both pretty comfortable, grippy tires and have just a tad less steering feel but are overall great.

One thing I don't like is that TireRack doesn't offer roadhazard protection for these tires.

Also I looked into the General Altimax HP's.

In 215/50/17 (Altimax HPs dont come in 225/50 according to tirerack) the General Altimax HPs are $533 shipped WITH roadhazard.

However, overall, these tires get about a 8.3 rating on Tirerack (not the best gauge I know), whereas the Continentals above rate at 9.1 and 8.7 respectively. Still not counting these out though.

What do you guys think?

#29 ·
Ok so I just checked discounttiredirect.com and I found the Extremecontact DW's in 225/50 for $600 shipped WITH roadhazard for 3 years.

They are actually $620 shipped on the site, but they said "found it cheaper somewhere else, let us know". And on Tirerack these tires are $130 vs. $135 on Discounttire, so that saves me $20 if I let them know Im sure, because it sounds like they are going to price match.

$600 is more than I was trying to spend but, I guess good tires come at a price huh. I still have to get them mounted and balanced after that. That will come out to like $700 for tires in the end... I was hoping to hit around $550 MAYBE $600 tops

Well, I also checked Discounttire for the ExtremeContact DW in 215/50, and in that size, WITH roadhazard, it seems it will be $568 shipped, which is a little more to my liking but not by THAT much...
Again though, Discounttire has these tires priced at $128, whereas Tirerack has them priced at $123, so if Discounttire pricematches, then it will be $568 shipped versus their advertised $588...

Now I have to decide on whether having a 225 sidewall versus a 215 (stock) is worth the extra $30 (If I end up getting this tire. Still not quite sure yet because of the price)

#33 ·
What about the DW?

With any tire I get, Im going to have dedicated winter rims/tires anyway

#31 ·
I'm not going to tell you which tires to buy, because I'm at a loss myself for my next replacements. I will say, use only reviews of tires that have been driven on for 20k miles (or close to it). My Bridgestones were quiet, and seemed like the perfect tire when new, but with 20k miles on them they are screaming louder and louder every mile. They were called Turanza LS before, and now they have changed the name to Serenity (maybe they are trying to convince me they are quiet now), and the tread pattern is different, but I would have a hard time trusting them. They never did track well, but I could live with that. When I was looking I was going to buy some Yokohama Avid V4, but they were too hard to find. Anybody have these?

#34 ·
compare falken 912 with onlinetires.com i could have pricematched it with discounttiredirect, they emailed me and i called them with a response. they will deliver to your door. i got 215/50/17 for about 76 bucks each tire. i like it WAY more than my old turanza el-41's. superb grip and decently quieter for the price. the 912's are supposed to be ok for snow but i wouldn't recommend it.

#35 ·
Looks like the OEM Michelins on my Mazda are going to crap out by 30,000 so I've been looking at new tires. Weird . . . at 20K (about 5,000 miles ago) the treads were meaty and looked to only be half worn. In the last few miles the rubber seems to have vaporized. :paranoid: Reminds me of the dual tread compound on Blizzaks . . . anyway . . .

I've been reading good reviews about the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Very good all around tire. I'm leaning towards a more "balanced" tire - Performance Grand Touring in Tire Rack speak - rather than an outright performance tire because I need something with longer tread life for my daily commute. And the last few times I was in PA during winter - ugh - I need more of an all season for light snow traction.

Tire Rack customer reviews rate the tire pretty high and it does weel in dry and wet grip.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

I've always found the customer survey comments to be very helpful in choosing tires for my last few cars.

Tire Survey Results

Bonus: They're priced very well @ $122 a tire for 215/55 R17.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.