Key stuck in ignition - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 11:34 AM
2nd Gear

Key stuck in ignition

Saturday night my wife drove my 05 Accord EX-L coupe with automatic transmission.. When she shut the car off the key would not turn all the way back to the original position and the key remained stuck in the ignition. I even restarted the car, put it in gear then shifted back into park and shut the car off again but the key remained stuck. I figured it was going to require a trip to the deal for a new igintion switch. In the frustration of trying to remove the key, I inadvertently left the key in the accessory position overnight which drained the battery to the point where I had to use jumper cables to start it and was prompted to enter the radio code. It was like re-booting the car. Low and behold the key was removable as normal when shutting off the car. Anyone here ever have this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat E View Post
Saturday night my wife drove my 05 Accord EX-L coupe with automatic transmission.. When she shut the car off the key would not turn all the way back to the original position and the key remained stuck in the ignition. I even restarted the car, put it in gear then shifted back into park and shut the car off again but the key remained stuck. I figured it was going to require a trip to the deal for a new igintion switch. In the frustration of trying to remove the key, I inadvertently left the key in the accessory position overnight which drained the battery to the point where I had to use jumper cables to start it and was prompted to enter the radio code. It was like re-booting the car. Low and behold the key was removable as normal when shutting off the car. Anyone here ever have this happen?
Most of the time, I get calls from customers who don't realize that Hondas have a steering wheel lockout. If the steering wheel is forced against the lockout gate too hard, the key can't be removed, so I usually tell them to turn their steering wheels a bit to release the lock.

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but I do get a lot of calls regarding it.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:16 PM
2nd Gear

I did try turning the steering wheel first. That wasn't the problem. The key wouldn't turn far enough back to get to the Zero position. I read somewhere on the internet that the ignition switch and the gear shift were connected electronically somehow.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat E View Post
I did try turning the steering wheel first. That wasn't the problem. The key wouldn't turn far enough back to get to the Zero position. I read somewhere on the internet that the ignition switch and the gear shift were connected electronically somehow.
Are you absolutely sure that there is nothing preventing the shiftter from going back into park? This has happened to me a few times,and the reason ends up being because a lanyard or something gets stuck to prevent it from fully returning to the original position.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a94060 View Post
Are you absolutely sure that there is nothing preventing the shiftter from going back into park? This has happened to me a few times,and the reason ends up being because a lanyard or something gets stuck to prevent it from fully returning to the original position.
I second this. Next time it happens check to see if the red P light in the cluster is lit. If the car is not in park the key will not come out. I think I had that issue when my neutral safety switch was bad.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

I have experienced the same problem intermittently. I sprayed a small amount of WD-40 into the lock and have not had the problem since.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:52 PM
5th Gear

Make sure the shift knob isn't slightly depressed because if it is, it will not allow you to remove the key. There is a little white plunger there and if its slightly depressed, your key will not come out. Here is a picture for reference of what I am talking about.

I know this because I modified the Acura TSX shift knob into my 8th gen Accord and without the modification my key wouldn't come out for the same reason. The 7th gen Accord has the same plunger.
2004 Toyota Highlander V6-Mothers
2009 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan-Grandfathers
Old 07-24-2010, 07:35 AM
2nd Gear

This last scenario with the plastic part in the gearshift sticking seems the most likely explanation. The key sticking hasn't reoccurred. If it happens again, I'll check the plastic plunger.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:28 AM
My First Post

My problem is that they won't return to zero. I'm still trying to fix it and it wouldn't be such a problem if it was the main key but since it's the spare key it's a pain to start. It's been like this for about a week now and nothing. Zip. Trying WD40 now. It's a Honda Accord 2000. Any help/tips?

EDIT: Just tried WD40, not working. I saw some video on Youtube about gear shifting. Will try that now.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:28 PM
TimC63

My wife drove our 2004 Accord home tonight and couldn't get the key to come all the way back to the off position to remove the key. I tried and tried to get the key out, thinking the lock was jamed. After reading on the web, I found there is an interlock cable where the key can't be removed unless the transmission is in park. I got a flashlight and found a quarter, seated edgewise down at the base of the shifter. The car would go into park, but would not quite get seated in park enough to make up the interlock to the ignition switch. As soon as we removed the quarter, and put the car in drive then back in park, the key came out fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.