idle speed - Page 4 - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
)@$#

Send a message via AIM to josh189
idle speed

i noticed today my 93 accord was having some trouble holding a steady idle.at first it was fine when i started it.a little high on rpms like normal cuz its cold.i moved it to clean it,then when i started it and moved it again it was revving up and down from like 1000- to about 2500 maybe not that bad but u get my point.i shut it off started it again and it was fine.i doubt its the same problem as the newer gens.are havin but any help on this issue would be welcomed.my thoughts were bad ground or somethin?it sounds almost like a surge
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 07:19 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
josh189, have you checked your coolant level? Your year can act all surgy when cold if the coolant is low. Then be fine warm.....unless it's low enough to overheat.

Another possibility is the Fast Idle Control Valve which you would check by removing the plate on top of it. Start the car & stick your finger in the hole. If it smooths out, then it's the bad part.

There's other possibilities too....

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

Ours: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, everything still works! Named Mater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 02:17 PM
)@$#

Send a message via AIM to josh189
ok thanks princess,i'll check the coolant asap.hope thats it
Old 01-12-2009, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

My 2006 Accord EX I4 does the same thing. My car will speed up to about 20 mph with foot off the gas, while the high idle is on. It seems to take a long time for the fast idle to come down to normal. I don't know if this is a problem because I bought the car used about 2 months ago. Actually now that I think about it the engine took about the same time to warm up in the warmer fall weather here in NJ. Dave
Old 08-27-2009, 09:52 AM
2nd Gear

Princess I'm a bit laid back, please whats the meaning of PCM/ECM and HDC?
5AT
Leather seats
Moonroof
Tint
Rear deck Spoiler...
Old 08-27-2009, 12:23 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
PCM=powertrain control module
ECM=engine control module

they are used interchangeably

I think you may mean HDS= honda diagnostic system (the computer link up for reading codes, seeing whats going on inside)

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

Ours: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, everything still works! Named Mater.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:20 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess View Post
PCM=powertrain control module
ECM=engine control module

they are used interchangeably

I think you may mean HDS= honda diagnostic system (the computer link up for reading codes, seeing whats going on inside)
Thanks, we can always count on you. Thanks again
5AT
Leather seats
Moonroof
Tint
Rear deck Spoiler...
Old 09-21-2010, 06:33 PM
My First Post

Hi everyone, I read all of the posts on here and I'm not sure exactly if they helped or not...I'm a little confused...I have a '96 Accord, and I've been having nothing but problems, first the fuel filter, then the map sensor, the throttle cable was next...it seems now that it's in low idle...so I adjusted the cable and so on, but now it seems that it will idle high, then low (to the point of stalling) when I shift or stop at a light...I'm not sure if anyone can help me or not, I'm not very mechanically inclined...but if you tell me what I need to do, I'll get it done. O' and my fiancÚ has stated that he needs to pull the gas pedal back up with his toes (slightly) if he is letting go of the gas pedal...which may be the problem, I'm not sure...Like I said, if anyone can help I'd appreciate it...and if you can please email it to me at j_hallahan@live.com as well as posting on here...I'm not sure if I'll check this every day, but my email is always being checked...Thanks everyone...
~HOPEFUL THAT I'LL FIGURE THIS OUT~
Old 10-31-2010, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

2011 LX-P brandie new.

Idle had to be learned. I had a similar problem, rpms running high and vehicle speed wouldn't decelerate below 20-25mpg without excessive brake force applied. Felt like the car just wanted to run like a horse.

Makes me wonder if this is part of Honda's brake wear issue, and transmission issues.

Was told that the only way to adjust rpm's in the drive by wire vehicles is if Honda came out with a firmware update, luckily it was just a learning the base idle issue. Damn car felt like it wanted to drive itself. It's reacts completely different now.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:43 PM
My First Post

Angry Hot rod

93 honda accord,it is my daughters car. Has had idle problems for a while replaced both idle air controls warm and cold still problems. Cleaned trottle body today no luck any suggestions.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:53 PM
3rd Gear

Re: idle speed

It's been a couple years now since this thread started. Has anyone finally come up with a solution? My 03 accord has the same problem as most everyone in here.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

May be a simple fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04EXNavi View Post
Holy smokes! Thanks for the info on this. I don't know how it would have reset itself, but I'll check it this weekend.
It may be emissions related. A few minutes on the dealers diagnostic machine will find the problem. A lot of emissions equipment is warrantied for 50k miles . Thanks 71Vette
Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 AM
My First Post

Question 89 honda accord

my mom has a 89 honda acccord it will run great when it is cold once you drive it around for awhile it will try to crank over but will not start we have changed filters and everything that showed up on the computer it runs great till un drive it around then it wont start back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.