Coolant change for 04 LX, 4 cylinder - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Maintenance & Detailing

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 12:40 PM
2nd Gear

Coolant change for 04 LX, 4 cylinder

Hi there,

I am about to change coolant on my 04 Accord LX, 4 cylinder. How many gallons of Honda type 2 coolant do i need?

Thanks,

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 12:49 PM
VTAKKKK

Send a message via AIM to CYANiDE
Capacity is 7.5 quarts according to the Haynes Manual. You should be good with 2 gallons of Honda Coolant.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:51 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks. This is my first DIY project, wish me luck.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

You've got the good wishes. I do hope that is the correct coolant , I assume you have checked that out.....in all honesty I don't know.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:03 PM
6th Gear

Two gallons of type 2. Hopefully your manual is like mine and has the DIY. Drain, fill and run to remove air with cap loose/off, etc. I would have done this in the summer when the engine can get warmer faster and not take as long to do this.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:12 AM
VTAKKKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
Two gallons of type 2. Hopefully your manual is like mine and has the DIY. Drain, fill and run to remove air with cap loose/off, etc. I would have done this in the summer when the engine can get warmer faster and not take as long to do this.
Correct. Haynes manual has the DIY as well, I wasn't sure if the OP would've needed it. but it says 7.5 quarts which is just under 2 gallons of Type 2.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:43 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks. I think the coolant is kind of dark blue color (type 2), but I will ask parts dept when I pick the coolant up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
You've got the good wishes. I do hope that is the correct coolant , I assume you have checked that out.....in all honesty I don't know.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:44 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
I downloaded the instruction from this site. Looks fairly simple to me. It doesn't get very cold in So Cal, but I will do it around noon on a warm day.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYANiDE View Post
Correct. Haynes manual has the DIY as well, I wasn't sure if the OP would've needed it. but it says 7.5 quarts which is just under 2 gallons of Type 2.
I am thinking about picking up Haynes manual. As the car ages, more and more DIY opportunities come along.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:49 AM
6th Gear

In reality you only need 1 gallon of new coolant because thats all that will drain out of the radiator. The block drain plug is nearly impossible to remove to get the remaining 3.5 quarts out and is not really necessary. Mixing 1 gallon of new coolant with the old is good enough.
You could change 1 gallon then drive a day or two then change out another gallon resulting in about 80% new in your system, but you waste about half a gallon of new coolant that way.
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k
Old 12-23-2010, 06:03 AM
VTAKKKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehonda View Post
In reality you only need 1 gallon of new coolant because thats all that will drain out of the radiator. The block drain plug is nearly impossible to remove to get the remaining 3.5 quarts out and is not really necessary. Mixing 1 gallon of new coolant with the old is good enough.
You could change 1 gallon then drive a day or two then change out another gallon resulting in about 80% new in your system, but you waste about half a gallon of new coolant that way.
I figured that it would be something like that, similar to the automatic transmission fluid. Well, you would definitely pour in and check the levels before you started the car either way.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflight View Post
Thanks. I think the coolant is kind of dark blue color (type 2), but I will ask parts dept when I pick the coolant up.
The coolant in my Accord is green color, can the new dark blue color mixes with green color?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 PM
<= Jeep differential LOL.

blue can mix with green. Green can mix with green. Orange CANNOT mix with anything. It will form a sludge.

I replaced my coolant at 105k a few months ago in my 2004 4cylinder. It had green in it and I just went with the Prestone non-diluted green coolant and mixed it 50/50 with some distilled water. I just drained and filled the radiator per the manual and it took about a gallon and a half. My manual said to use low silicate stuff if Honda coolant is not available. I read on the Prestone bottle that it is non-silicate and is okay for aluminum block engines.
├┼┤
2 4 R
Old 01-05-2011, 11:16 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehonda View Post
Hi Nehonda,

I slacked off during the holiday breaks. I am at the dealership right now to pickup the coolant and see your message. I will just pick one gallon up.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshbar View Post
I replaced my coolant at 105k a few months ago in my 2004 4cylinder. It had green in it and I just went with the Prestone non-diluted green coolant and mixed it 50/50 with some distilled water. I just drained and filled the radiator per the manual and it took about a gallon and a half. My manual said to use low silicate stuff if Honda coolant is not available. I read on the Prestone bottle that it is non-silicate and is okay for aluminum block engines.
Make sure you change it every 2 years/24 months then. Honda type 2 is good for 5 years....
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.