2005 Honda Accord Transmission Issues - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 06:56 AM
My First Post

2005 Honda Accord Transmission Issues

Hi there,

I am hoping that someone might be able to assist me with a quick question.

I have a 2005 Honda Accord/4DR/EX (V6 NAVI)/5 speed automatic transmission. Yesterday, I was driving and the car got stuck at 1.5 rpms. I could accelerate to any speed but it would not go past 1.5 rpms around 3rd/4th gear (not too sure which gear). The car had no problem shifting from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and the rpms would increase accordingly. About 4 months back, I would start the car until it warmed up, it would make a loud knock noise when moving out of 3rd to 4th gear. I took it to the dealer and they performed a tranny fluid flush. They said the fluid had turned into a gelatin, but was still pink.

The dealer is saying I need a new transmission and torque converter which would cost around $6,700. Unfortunately, I live in the cayman islands and don't have many options. A friend suggested importing a used tranny from the florida and have a mechanic rebuild it. My question, is there a difference between the lefthanded driver honda accord transmissions (us models) and the righthanded driver accord transmissions (japanese models)?

thank you for any assistance,
worried lady with no car knowledge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 AM
Hollaway24

If i were you i would check to see if its still under warranty. Most have a 100,000 mile Powertrain warranty or and experation date. Call you dealer and see if this applies to you. As for left or right I have no ideal.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:48 AM
5th Gear

Get a photo of your transmission ID-label and post it here. Then we can tell a difference.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 AM
6th Gear

Make sure we're talking about the same model first. North American Accords are known as the Inspire in Japan. The Honda Accord in many European and Asian markets is the same as the Acura TSX over here.

When you say your dealer performed a transmission flush, did they flush it with a machine, or did they drain and fill the transmission a certain number of times. I think Honda's recommended procedure is to do a drain and fill, drive the car a short distance (~15 miles, I think), drain and fill again and do that three times. They said specifically not to flush the transmission. If they flushed the transmission instead of doing a 3x drain and fill, the dealer should be held responsible, IMO.

$6,700 is pretty much a ripoff for a new transmission and torque converter IMO. At most, you should be able to get away with paying $3,000 which is high even for a dealer. Heck, you could almost buy another Accord for that much!

Growing up:
1992 Chevrolet Cavalier: 2000-2008
1986 Pontiac 6000 LE: 1995-2000
1982 Honda Accord: 1993-1995
1979 Honda Civic: 1991-1993
Old 01-07-2011, 04:34 AM
4th Gear

We just did a trans on an '03 and the retail price just for the trans is $2600 + 8hrs labor @ $85 + plus fluid. I think it came out to be $3700 and that's for an independent shop. The dealer over here is over $100 per hour.
2001 Yamaha R6
Bowman Kart(rented)
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by najoua View Post
Hi there,

I am hoping that someone might be able to assist me with a quick question.

I have a 2005 Honda Accord/4DR/EX (V6 NAVI)/5 speed automatic transmission. Yesterday, I was driving and the car got stuck at 1.5 rpms. I could accelerate to any speed but it would not go past 1.5 rpms around 3rd/4th gear (not too sure which gear). The car had no problem shifting from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and the rpms would increase accordingly. About 4 months back, I would start the car until it warmed up, it would make a loud knock noise when moving out of 3rd to 4th gear. I took it to the dealer and they performed a tranny fluid flush. They said the fluid had turned into a gelatin, but was still pink.

The dealer is saying I need a new transmission and torque converter which would cost around $6,700. Unfortunately, I live in the cayman islands and don't have many options. A friend suggested importing a used tranny from the florida and have a mechanic rebuild it. My question, is there a difference between the lefthanded driver honda accord transmissions (us models) and the righthanded driver accord transmissions (japanese models)?

thank you for any assistance,
worried lady with no car knowledge

If you're talking Cayman dollars, then you're being ripped off even more, since that would equal $7,925.41 USD. Not sure about the difference with right-hand drive model, but you may do better with getting a used one (right-hand) imported from nearby Jamaica.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.