Transmission - P0780 Code - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 11:12 AM
#8 in 08

Transmission - P0780 Code

My mother has a 2002 EX-L V6 sedan. It has approximately 54,000mi on it.

It is my understanding that the overwhelming majority (if not all) of the routine maintenance has been done at the Honda dealer where it was bought. I believe this includes the scheduled services - including a transmission service - but I am waiting to see all of my mother's paperwork to confirm this.

After getting the flashing "D4" light and the constant "check engine" light, she brought it to the dealer. The dealer said the P0780 code was thrown, and stated that a remanufactured transmission is needed. The total cost of the job is about $5,000.

Does $5,000 sound a bit high?

After doing a search on DA.net, I found a post stating that replacing a few solenoids might be a starting point. [The quote: "...If the P0780 code was the only one found, the Honda repair manual says to replace the shift solenoid valve A and the pressure control solenoids A & B..."]

Is it worth it to have the solenoids replaced? And/or to try anything else short of a replacement tranny? Or would it just be wasted money and a "band aid" fix?

The transmission has been shifting a bit funky, but nothing terrible. Any thoughts as to how long it might be before the tranny lets go?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 11:24 AM

Usually, the flashing D = certain Death. In the other cases where misc parts have been replaced it was flaring btwn gears(no codes or flashing D) and/or shifting slowly from one gear to the next.

The price does seem very high. I would shop indy trans repair places. Usually, they charge around $1800-2500 for a rebuild with warranty. Esp when times are tough. If you or your mom or other family member has AAA towing to the repair shops is usually free.

Check www.bbb.org to check the shop out or refer to Angies list for some good shops.

99 Accord Coupe: 2.3, 166k, original owner.(sold)

94 Civic Coupe: manual (sold with 45k)

83 Cutlass Supreme Coupe: Traded in with 67k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Out of Control

The P0780 code is listed as "Problem in Shift Control System"

So, it could be a solenoid as it sounds most similar to my broken solenoid issue from a few months back.

I would say to go to a junk yard and find solenoids for your mother's car and go from there. The worst that can happen here is that the junked ones also don't work and the issue persists or acts slightly different. Best case scenario is that everything will work again.

Yes, $5,000 is much too high even for a rebuilt trans from a dealership. The highest price I've seen for a rebuilt trans from a dealer has been $3,600. And as SatinSilver above me mentioned, a transmission shop will charge somewhere between $1,800 - $2,500 to have your mother's transmission rebuilt.
2000 2dr. v6 Accord | Limo Tint | Black housing Crystal Headlights | Greddy MX Exhaust | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | R1 Concept slotted/ventilated rotors - Front | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | DC Strut Bar | 6000k HIDs | Pioneer DEH-P6000UB | Pioneer mid speakers | Matt Tweeters | Kenwood 4ch. 800w Amp | 2x 10" Sony Xplod 800w subs | Sony 1200w Class D Amp
Old 09-06-2011, 07:45 AM
#8 in 08

Arrow Now you know the rest of the story...

My mother was able to get "Honda goodwill," so she paid for half of the replacement transmission (approx $2,600). It comes with a 3yr/36,000mi warranty from Honda.

Many thanks to Commonwealth Honda (in Lawrence, Mass) for standing by the product they sold and serviced.

I called a few dealers in/around Boston and a few down here, and they were all in the $4,000 to $5,000 range (give or take a few hundred) for a replacement tranny.

We'll never know if replacing the solenoids would have helped, or how long it would have gone before it puked its guts. Given the facts, sticking with the dealer was the safest way to go.

Thanks to Satin and CDs for their thoughts.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Out of Control

Glad you got it sorted out!
2000 2dr. v6 Accord | Limo Tint | Black housing Crystal Headlights | Greddy MX Exhaust | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | R1 Concept slotted/ventilated rotors - Front | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | DC Strut Bar | 6000k HIDs | Pioneer DEH-P6000UB | Pioneer mid speakers | Matt Tweeters | Kenwood 4ch. 800w Amp | 2x 10" Sony Xplod 800w subs | Sony 1200w Class D Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.