transmission flush - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Maintenance & Detailing

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Local microbrew please!

transmission flush

I got conflicting opinions on doing a power flush of the transmission fluid on my 99 LX 4 cyl. One guy recommended doing it right now to my Accord that I just bought used and the other guy said it can knock parts loose in the tranny due to the pressure of the power flush. I don't have a clue what is correct. Also, heard from 1 tech that there were problems with the tranny on the 99 and another said that the problem was on the 6 cyl not the 4. I'm a new Accord owner and am confused on this issue. Please help. Thanks anyone.
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

The power flush is not only confusing to you........ In my humble opinion it would be best to drain & fill several times.....every 2500 miles or so. About the fourth time you will have replaced 90+% of the original fluid then do it again every 15K or so. If there is a filter in your transmission change it every time you drain.

There are machines that introduce new fluid at the same time the old is drained until completely new fluid is in the transmission. Hopefully others here will know more about the name of the machine that does this, I've only heard of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Local microbrew please!

I would like to see more opinions on the matter of the power flush but I am leaning to the more frequent drain and fill method. The dealer I spoke with wanted about $170 to do it. Seems high to me but I don't know what is fair or not for this operation. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:11 PM
<error: divide by zero>

I had this done to the 94 silverado at the Valvoline instant oil change. It took about 2 weeks and I had a seal leaking. Not a big repair, but it sure didnt seem to help the transmission much. I would drain, change the filter, and go on.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Honda recommends that you DO NOT flush a transmission with a machine. The proper way to "flush" is to take out what you can, refill, drive, and do it over for a few times.

The problems were on BOTH 4 and 6 cyl. They were more prominent on the 6cyl because they have more torque and more weight, but rest assured the 4 cyl is not immune.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Local microbrew please!

Thanks Benji, you gave me the same advise on my other post about my spoiler light and it sparked me to conduct my own investigation. A very good thing actually. I will NOT power flush!!!!! A little off of the subject but I hope someone reads this and heeds my advice. I thought I really messed up the other day. I was replacing the little light that illuminates the clock and in a momentary lapse or reason I did it with the car running. Bad idea. The light smoked, my power windows would not roll down, I lost the mileage display and could not move the shifter out of park. I was freaking. Turns out that 1 fuse on the driver side blew and caused all that other stuff to go with it. I thought I fried some big circuit board or something. So anything electrical no matter how small the bulb do WITH THE CAR OFF!!!!!.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

The bulb probably just smoked because it had finger oils on it. Same thing with mine.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Accord Worshiper

Send a message via AIM to notsoslimshady
We've flushed my Accord at ~50k and ~80k. The transmission is stills slippy at take off up hill. Good luck man
Old 05-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Free in 2 days!!!

Send a message via AIM to JRC2010 Send a message via MSN to JRC2010
Watch out there notsoslimshady, you have the 6th gen problematic automatic . It wasn't such a problem with 4cyl, but it can still happen to you. Just keep flushing your transmission and keep it in good condition. I don't want for you to have a burned out transimission.
60K on the odo.

R.I.P.

Sigh....
Old 05-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Accord Worshiper

Send a message via AIM to notsoslimshady
I know. thank goodness such a delicate transmission is in a car driven by people who dont even want to wash a car in the winter (my parents) lollol
Old 05-11-2006, 05:46 PM
My First Post

DO NOT FLUSH. CHANGE the transmission oil and filter. Flushing is just putting the old fluid back in, although it is recycled. It is just another useless service for mechanics to make money. Never flush, only change.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

I recently purchased a 98 EX V6 coupe with 130k on it. Don't know when the tranny fluid was changed, so I asked the Honda dealer where I purchased about a flush.

They have a machine that pushes out the old fluid while leaving the tranny with new. Not high pressure. I talked them down to $130 for the service.

After getting the car back, it was worth every penny! Shifts smooth as silk!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Lovin' every minute of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by webej551
DO NOT FLUSH. CHANGE the transmission oil and filter. Flushing is just putting the old fluid back in, although it is recycled. It is just another useless service for mechanics to make money. Never flush, only change.
Ok just to set the record straight - MOST dealers out there don't have a FLUSH machine, but a Transmission Fluid "EXCHANGE" machine. HUGE difference. The EXCHANGE machine is exactly what it says, it exchanges the old fluid for the new fluid at the same pressure your trans pump is putting out. The technician continues the procedure until he's satisfied with the condition of the fluid that is now coming OUT of the trans then shuts off the machine. You don't overfill it this way, same volume that comes out goes in and you get ALL the old fluid out.

Most newer honda's don't have a servicable filter. I guarantee you when you do this service after about 45k, it'll feel like a new trans. and MORE importantly: make sure the shop that does this service uses COMPATIBLE fluid! If they use DEXRON III in all their service(s), for the newer hondas it's not compatible...says so in owners manual. OR they could use a friction modifier as an additive to make the DEXIII compatible... I'd opt for Genuine FLuid in the newer hondas... Using the wrong fluid will cause slippage.

Same goes for Power Steering EXCHANGE services... I just had mine done with 107000miles and I swear it steers like new again. No more shudder and easier turning effort.

Hope this helps. FLUSH = NO. EXCHANGE = YES!
Old 05-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafettawhite
Ok just to set the record straight - MOST dealers out there don't have a FLUSH machine, but a Transmission Fluid "EXCHANGE" machine. HUGE difference. The EXCHANGE machine is exactly what it says, it exchanges the old fluid for the new fluid at the same pressure your trans pump is putting out. The technician continues the procedure until he's satisfied with the condition of the fluid that is now coming OUT of the trans then shuts off the machine. You don't overfill it this way, same volume that comes out goes in and you get ALL the old fluid out.

Most newer honda's don't have a servicable filter. I guarantee you when you do this service after about 45k, it'll feel like a new trans. and MORE importantly: make sure the shop that does this service uses COMPATIBLE fluid! If they use DEXRON III in all their service(s), for the newer hondas it's not compatible...says so in owners manual. OR they could use a friction modifier as an additive to make the DEXIII compatible... I'd opt for Genuine FLuid in the newer hondas... Using the wrong fluid will cause slippage.

Same goes for Power Steering EXCHANGE services... I just had mine done with 107000miles and I swear it steers like new again. No more shudder and easier turning effort.

Hope this helps. FLUSH = NO. EXCHANGE = YES!

THIS is what I was talking about in my first post! Seek it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.