2003 V6 Rear main seal $1900+!? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

2003 V6 Rear main seal $1900+!?

WOW! I've been a loyal Honda customer for almost 20 years and had over a dozen NEW Honda cars and Motorcycles.

This Accord has been the worst. First the tranmission goes out at 70,000 miles. First time I've ever asked for assistance from Honda due to the abundance of 2003 V6 transmission failures. They offered to split the over $3000 bill.

Now at 123,000 I'm told I have a rear main seal leak and it's a $1900 repair!

So I ask Honda if there is any way they can work with me here, I'm sure the same story has been told many times but this is the first time for me, they said no and the guy acted like I was stupid for even asking.

So I'm no longer going to buy Honda's , thank you to the guy from Honda who was sarcastic and rude for showing me the light.

I've read of others getting RMS replaced for $1000 or around that.
Is this $1900 quote correct? How could I justify spending that much on a 2003 vehicle with 123,000 miles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 01:53 PM
next stop: 300k!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
the rear main seal was replaced in my 93 not that long ago for about 450....

take it to another dealer, or preferably, a reputable indy honda shop.
I'm 5'6'brown eyes,38 old,no child,but like. Please press 1 for English. No child, but like. You are child-like? You like no child? You like children? Sorry, the subscription for my translator is expired.
PROUD FAN OF STEELERS, PIRATES, AND PENGUINS

DA moderator

2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (201k miles)

gone, but not forgotten:
1993 Honda Accord (341k when sold, retired @ 369k)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (168k when sold, last check-in @ ~197k, blown head gasket)
Old 11-18-2011, 04:22 PM
4th Gear

Don't go to the Dealer to get work done on your 9 year old car...find a reputable independent shop that works on imports/Hondas.

If you put your location (city, state) in your profile, there might be some locals on the forum who can steer you in the right direction.

That rear main seal can't be more than $20 at dealer markup, so ~$1900 for just labor seems incredibly high.

good luck!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:32 PM
5th Gear

$1900 is stupid high. Get a quote from an independent and it will be more reasonable. Fix it and keep driving..............
2011 Acura MDX (Grigio Metallic)
2014 Volkswagen Passat
2014 Accord Sport
Old 11-19-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiffer View Post
That rear main seal can't be more than $20 at dealer markup, so ~$1900 for just labor seems incredibly high.
Yes the seal is inexpensive but the job is labor "intensive." You have to drop the subframe and suspend the motor. On my 6th gen quotes were around $800.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:25 AM
next stop: 300k!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
yeah, i remember the part being cheap, but the labor being most of the price.

i'm not sure if they had to suspend the engine, or just drop the tranny when they did it on mine.
I'm 5'6'brown eyes,38 old,no child,but like. Please press 1 for English. No child, but like. You are child-like? You like no child? You like children? Sorry, the subscription for my translator is expired.
PROUD FAN OF STEELERS, PIRATES, AND PENGUINS

DA moderator

2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (201k miles)

gone, but not forgotten:
1993 Honda Accord (341k when sold, retired @ 369k)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (168k when sold, last check-in @ ~197k, blown head gasket)
Old 11-19-2011, 07:26 AM

Well if your 2nd trans lasts as long as the first one you have 17,000 more miles to go till you need a new trans. Might as well wait till the trans grenades before replacing the RMS. Just another thing to think about.

I'd use some Maxlife trans fluid and see if that helps. Others on here have used it with good results.

99 Accord Coupe: 2.3, 166k, original owner.(sold)

94 Civic Coupe: manual (sold with 45k)

83 Cutlass Supreme Coupe: Traded in with 67k.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Sold the Accord

You can always shop around for vehicle repair, but claiming to be a "loyal" customer for over 20 years does not entitle you to special benefits for maintaining a 9 year old car with 123,000 miles. It is old, and major parts will need replacement as it continues to get older. So you can dump the car and buy another new one that will not require major maintenance for 10 years, or you can deal with the required maintenance of a car with over 100K miles. Sorry you got burned on your transmission. Honda replaced mine for free at 5 years/52,000 miles. But my '03 now has 100K miles and I have understand the fact that major components are getting old and will need replacement. But I don't expect special discounts for owning a Honda for an extended period of time. Every dealer will treat you the same way. An independent might have a lower labor rate and may find better part prices, but you shouldn't expect "senior" discounts for being a long time customer.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:22 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
You can always shop around for vehicle repair, but claiming to be a "loyal" customer for over 20 years does not entitle you to special benefits for maintaining a 9 year old car with 123,000 miles. It is old, and major parts will need replacement as it continues to get older. So you can dump the car and buy another new one that will not require major maintenance for 10 years, or you can deal with the required maintenance of a car with over 100K miles. Sorry you got burned on your transmission. Honda replaced mine for free at 5 years/52,000 miles. But my '03 now has 100K miles and I have understand the fact that major components are getting old and will need replacement. But I don't expect special discounts for owning a Honda for an extended period of time. Every dealer will treat you the same way. An independent might have a lower labor rate and may find better part prices, but you shouldn't expect "senior" discounts for being a long time customer.
That's fair enough, I didn't really EXPECT a discount but it doesn't hurt to ask as I feel at 123000 miles a RMS failure is premature. I didn't want free , meeting me halfway on the rediculous $1900 quote is all I was looking for.

Anyway I've shopped this around and now gotten quotes for around $1100. Guess that's what I'm going to pay. I think I was off the reservation a bit when I created this post, but the person from Honda set me off a bit.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:02 PM
2nd Gear

I did a rear main seal (oil seepage) fix under CPO warranty @ 61K miles, '07 V6. If I left till 100K+ miles, mine would've eventually leaked. I thought while I had the warranty I would fix it for free.

Anyways, they showed me the bill and it was $850. Seal part was like $16 and rest was labor/trans oil replace/ etc. So 1100 is still too high. Is that quote from a dealer? I have a feeling independent shops will do it for half of that.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:46 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpark View Post
I did a rear main seal (oil seepage) fix under CPO warranty @ 61K miles, '07 V6. If I left till 100K+ miles, mine would've eventually leaked. I thought while I had the warranty I would fix it for free.

Anyways, they showed me the bill and it was $850. Seal part was like $16 and rest was labor/trans oil replace/ etc. So 1100 is still too high. Is that quote from a dealer? I have a feeling independent shops will do it for half of that.
I did you find out it was "seeping" if it wasn't leaking fluid?

Warranty work is usually billed according to book hours, while dealerships normally exaggerate the labor hours for non-warranty work.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:35 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiffer View Post
I did you find out it was "seeping" if it wasn't leaking fluid?

Warranty work is usually billed according to book hours, while dealerships normally exaggerate the labor hours for non-warranty work.
I was doing oil change and saw that transmission area had some moist. I though something was wrong with my transmission and asked around, it was real main seal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.