1999 Accord V6, Torque Converter Shudder? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

1999 Accord V6, Torque Converter Shudder?

I recently purchased a 1999 Accord V6 4dr from the original owner with 164,000 miles. I have all maint records from new. The trans fluid was changed at the dealer at 90,000 miles.

I performed a 12 quart drain/refill (3 qts at a time) with Valvoline Max Life. The trans shifts fine at 10% throttle, and W.O.T. However at 33% throttle, (spirited takeoff) the car will hold 1st gear to ~4,500 rpm, and second gear to 4,000 rpm. It does not "flare" between gears, but more like "slides" into the next gear.

The silky smooth V6 doesn't seem to mind, I'm just concerned that this is a sign of trouble on the way for the trans. The car also shudders in 4th gear at throttle tip in. Right around 30-40 mph (4th gear) when the torque converter is not fully locked up, and just a pinch of throttle. Additional throttle, or speeds above 45 and the problem goes away. The problem is only present after the car reaches temp, 5-7 minutes after cold startup.

I've read the "Continuing Saga of Gen 6 AT issue" thread, but still do not have a good feel for what "normal" shift characteristics are. And I know T.C. shudder is not normal.

My specific question: Will a switch now to Redline D4 "cure" any of these problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 02:29 PM

Never mind...
Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 PM
5th Gear

Not any fluid will cure transmission wear. That is for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.