Door Checker Replacement - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Factory Facts > 2003 Honda Accord Instructions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 11:01 AM
2nd Gear

Door Checker Replacement

Hi,
I have try posting on the other section but no one seem to know the answer, I was hoping someone or princess could help me. Could someone tell me how to replace the driver side door checker? Thank you in advance and sorry if this is not in the right section to post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 09:35 AM
5th Gear

Send a message via AIM to vasekvi Send a message via Yahoo to vasekvi
This thread is a few months old, but here is a response anyway.

Buy the part at the dealer for about 25 bucks. You will have to specify whether your car was built in the USA or Japan.

Here is the new one on top.

Take the door panel off. To do that you have to remove both the covers that cover the 1 screw in the door pull and the 2 screws in the door handle. Remove the screws. Make sure the window is rolled down. You also have to remove the piece of triangle trim by the mirror. Pull on it carefully and it will come out.

To get the door panel off after the screws are out, just pull on the bottom to get the tabs to pop out. Once they are out, the panel will be hanging by the bottom trim. Lift up on the panel to get it off.

Pull up on enough of the insulation above the speaker to be able to get your hand in the door.

Get these 3 bolts off, remove the old door check through the door, put the new one in, and bolt it in.

Put everything back in reverse order and your door will no longer threaten to cut your leg in half.

The Following User Says Thank You to vasekvi For This Useful Post:
gstephen70 (09-01-2013)
Old 08-05-2010, 10:32 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
This thread is a few months old, but here is a response anyway.

Buy the part at the dealer for about 25 bucks. You will have to specify whether your car was built in the USA or Japan.

Here is the new one on top.

Take the door panel off. To do that you have to remove both the covers that cover the 1 screw in the door pull and the 2 screws in the door handle. Remove the screws. Make sure the window is rolled down. You also have to remove the piece of triangle trim by the mirror. Pull on it carefully and it will come out.

To get the door panel off after the screws are out, just pull on the bottom to get the tabs to pop out. Once they are out, the panel will be hanging by the bottom trim. Lift up on the panel to get it off.

Pull up on enough of the insulation above the speaker to be able to get your hand in the door.

Get these 3 bolts off, remove the old door check through the door, put the new one in, and bolt it in.

Put everything back in reverse order and your door will no longer threaten to cut your leg in half.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for!!!

Part numbers are 72380-SDA-A01 for the driver side 72340-SDA-A01 for the passenger side.

Mods:
  • USASpec iPod Integration
  • TSX Homelink
  • Outside Temp Gauge
  • Day/Night Rear View Mirror
  • Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
  • JL AUDIO TR600-CXi
  • JL AUDIO VR690-CXi
  • TSX HID Retrofit
  • Weathertech Floorliners
  • Oakley Whisker with Drivewear Lens
Old 11-10-2010, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

With the help of this forum and the Haynes Manual, I was able to do this on my '03 2-door. For anyone else who is going to do this, here are a few specifics:

-My door didn't have any screws by the door pull recess (next to the power window buttons), the only two screws were found behind the door handle screw cover, which pries out via a flat-head screwdriver inserted into the lift-clip towards the bottom

-The "insulation" (the white plastic covering) on the door was a pain to pull off, as Honda uses some goo to seal it that reminded me of the weather-caulk people pump in gaps around their house's brickwork, etc. So be careful and diligent so it doesn't tear under the pressure.

-Although the Haynes manual references a "door panel removal tool" ( I swear there's a tool for everything), I found gently using a flat tip screwdriver and prying via leverage popped the panel out easy. The recommended way is to start at the side-top by the door lock nub and follow the panel downwards, across towards the speaker, and then up towards the side mirror. Then the panel simply lifts up & out, assuming you've done all the unscrewing/electrical cable disconnecting already.

-I ran into the annoying problem that the replacement checker had two major issues: no screws were on it (instead, just two holes where screws were to be inserted), and the two holes were too far apart to sync up with the holes in the metal door. So I had to actually expand the lower hole in the door by drilling.. not fun. And of course a trip to the hardware store, because who has 12mm wide 1.5 cm long screws sitting around the the shop? Nobody.

-Upon re-attaching the door panel make sure that not only are all the cables reconnected, but make extra sure the internal door opening latch cable is attached to the shiny metal door opener's backside, but also seated in the plastic clip that's mounted on the backside of the door latch (not the plastic clip/sleeve that wraps 90 degrees around the metal cable). You can always check if the door latch functions properly by 1) detecting tension, and 2) using a screwdriver to simulated shutting the door by pushing it through the door catch, and then pulling on the door latch. If you miss it you'll have to take the panel off again after opening the door from the outside handle.

The new door checker works excellent, no more door constantly shutting on my shin as I'm getting out of the car. All and all a simple job, assuming the replacement part is correct and you have a little bit of patience and yankee ingenuity, and definitely worth the benefit!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:55 PM
1st Gear

Awesome thread, and thanks for the pics. It really helped.

After following this procedure, I found that the Window auto up/down stopped working. Something I'm missing? The window will manual (holding the button) go up and down, but thats it. I have a 2003 accord EX
Old 02-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting to note that I've never even heard of this problem until I got the Accord.

My door checker still works fine, I am wondering if those of you who have had this failure routinely swings the door all the way open and let the door checker stop the door? Just a thought to see if there is a pattern of usage vs. breakage......
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Alpin PA2

DriveAccord.Net Forum Rules & Regs
DriveAccord.net Classified Rules
Old 02-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter2525 View Post
Awesome thread, and thanks for the pics. It really helped.

After following this procedure, I found that the Window auto up/down stopped working. Something I'm missing? The window will manual (holding the button) go up and down, but thats it. I have a 2003 accord EX
Have a read of post #2 of this thread http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47134 and see if it helps.
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Alpin PA2

DriveAccord.Net Forum Rules & Regs
DriveAccord.net Classified Rules
Old 02-17-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviography View Post
I am wondering if those of you who have had this failure routinely swings the door all the way open and let the door checker stop the door?
Maybe they kick the door from the inside so they don't have to reach for the door like that officer on COPS. I'm sure that would wear it out early.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Have a read of post #2 of this thread http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47134 and see if it helps.
Thanks for the link.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:03 PM
1st Gear

When I pull off the door pannel I forgot to unscrew where the door pannel connect to the door and ripped up the plastic. Anywhere I can get a replacement?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

This is what I think. First thanks for the install info. Second a posable problem for brakege is lube we all use on this part. WD-40 is no good it reacts to plastic. I use silicone spray now. Also i was a little rough on opening the door. Maybe both.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:58 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Good thing you posted that one mate. Well yeah this one really helps. good thing this site is still active so i can get vital information. some sites now are down because of SOPA issues and im damn worried about it. i dont wanna end up being forced to visit my dealer because i wont be finding anymore free information on the internet.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 AM
1st Gear

Thank you for the detailed instructions and pics!! Worked like charm on my 2004 EX-L at 105k miles.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 03:33 AM
KENYA DIG IT?!

Send a message via AIM to Gen7coupe Send a message via Skype™ to Gen7coupe
here's a question for everyone that did this already(me included).....instead of pulling back all the insulation, why not pop the speaker out and reach your hand up there? that's what i did when i replaced both of my door checkers.....just a thought! very good instructions though!!!!

Old Cars

2001 MituSHITbe Galant
2000 Honda Civic Si
1995 Honda Prelude
1989 Nissan Sentra
Old 09-01-2013, 10:53 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for posting this. Just so everyone knows, the sockets needed are 10mm and 12mm. This is common wear and tear on Honda. No reason to have the dealer service do it. Easy and straightforward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.