3 Lights Turned On at Same Time!! - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

3 Lights Turned On at Same Time!!

I had my 08 Accord 4cyl (21k miles) sitting in my driveway for 2-3 months without driving it. I started driving it again last month and after about 20 miles, 3 lights (check engine, VSA, and "!") came on at the same time and the engine started idling roughly at 1.5k RPM, even at a complete stop. When I take my foot off the gas and just let it coast, the high idle causes the car to go faster than normal. Sometimes when I start the engine, it would turn on and then stall immediately.

I disconnected the battery and the lights turned off and the car drove normally for another 20-30 miles before the same thing happened again. This happened 2 more times and I disconnected the battery after each time it happened. Since the last time I had to do this, I have put about 200 miles on the car and the lights never came back on and drove without problems.

I never went to get the codes checked but I am wondering what this problem could have been. Has anybody else experienced this? Do you think the problem will come back?

Picture of the problem:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 06:54 PM
5th Gear

Did you try pressing the VSA button (located on the left below the steering wheel) to turn the VSA back on? Hold it down for a few seconds.

The "!" is the TPMS light which means your tire pressure is low. Did you try pumping air back into the tires?

As for the Check Engine Light, hopefully someone else can chime in.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 PM
3rd Gear

do u hav sprintbooster or something like that? if so check the connectors, mine was not plugged in all the way, and wouldnt let me shift up a gear. engine light was on and jerked hard. btw ur vsa is automagicly lock on until u fill ur tires up. probly didnt help ya but had to try.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:45 PM
I-Vtec,Do You?

Yea ive had the same problem, your car may need the new software update, there was a TSB on this a while back. After i got the update never had an issue since. Only my car was reving high and when i shifted from drive to park or reverse there was a hard clunking noise. Also when i drove with the lights on i could have my foot to the floor and it wouldn't go any faster lol. Goodluck!

Check Out My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/393033...rd-ex-coupe-2d
Old 04-30-2012, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08BBPCS1 View Post
Yea ive had the same problem, your car may need the new software update, there was a TSB on this a while back. After i got the update never had an issue since. Only my car was reving high and when i shifted from drive to park or reverse there was a hard clunking noise. Also when i drove with the lights on i could have my foot to the floor and it wouldn't go any faster lol. Goodluck!
Do you have a link describing the TSB? My car's warranty is over but I still have a another year on the powertrain warranty. Do you think they will do it for free?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:24 PM
3rd Gear

its free bro, just take it in there. its quick
Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM
4th Gear

Just take it to the stealership, I don't think they will charge you for this.
Inspire Hood | Inspire Grill ( Gloss Black ) | Inspire Headlights | Inspire Front Bumper | Inspire Modulo Front Lip | Inspire OEM Fog Lights | OEM Rear Trunk Lid Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | OEM EP3 Rims - Gold 17"x7 | Nitto INVO Tires 225/45/R17 | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Shadow Black Window Trim (Foiled) | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems
Old 04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

I have had this problem on my '08 i4 as well! Except my VSA and ! light only come on when my car rpm needle is dancing between 1,500-2,000. although my check engine light stays on and my rpms stay high. Tire pressure is normal in all 4 tires. Let me know your solution!
Old 05-04-2012, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. I had no idea about this software problem. Looks like they sent out a safety recall notice last Summer but I never got it. I went to the dealership and they gave me two software updates for free. The first one addresses the automatic transmission problem and the other was for a fuel injection/VTC timing problem. Hopefully this will fix the problem I experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1208 View Post
I have had this problem on my '08 i4 as well! Except my VSA and ! light only come on when my car rpm needle is dancing between 1,500-2,000. although my check engine light stays on and my rpms stay high. Tire pressure is normal in all 4 tires. Let me know your solution!
I disconnected the battery whenever the problem came back and the problem hasn't come back in the 200-300 miles I've driven since then. Also you might want to get those software updates from the dealership too
Old 05-04-2012, 05:46 PM
5th Gear

Read the manual. It show you the proper way to store the car for long period of time.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

Thank you!! I just purchased the car in January so I didn't get the memo. I have disconnected my battery a dozen times, and it will go off, until I idle...and its bbbbaccckkk!
Old 05-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Driver

When the lights go on do you lose a bit of engine power too? Doesn't want to rev over 4 grand? This happened on my 2.4l CRV, low power, erratic idle and 3 lights on at the same time, the lights went out before I got to the dealer and showed no codes. It did it twice then it was good for almost a year, then just the Two lights came on and not the check engine light...ran fine but lost abs and vsa operation. Was a defective abs/vsa control module, a 1500 dollar part but warranty covered it.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1208 View Post
Thank you!! I just purchased the car in January so I didn't get the memo. I have disconnected my battery a dozen times, and it will go off, until I idle...and its bbbbaccckkk!
I'm not sure if the problem is even related since I've only experienced it a few times. Since you seem to have experienced this issue more frequently, I was wondering if the software update was able to fix your problem?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
When the lights go on do you lose a bit of engine power too? Doesn't want to rev over 4 grand? This happened on my 2.4l CRV, low power, erratic idle and 3 lights on at the same time, the lights went out before I got to the dealer and showed no codes. It did it twice then it was good for almost a year, then just the Two lights came on and not the check engine light...ran fine but lost abs and vsa operation. Was a defective abs/vsa control module, a 1500 dollar part but warranty covered it.
I didn't notice a loss of power because I was also afraid of pushing it too hard. I probably stayed below 3.5k. I did experience the erratic idle though. The problem is gone for now but I'm hoping I hadn't purchased a lemon since my warranty has expired.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

I haven't been able to take it in yet, I found a couple of TSBs that I'm hoping they will fix as well. I hope that update fixes my problem as well!! Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.