Car shuts off after adjusting valves - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 6th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

I took the car to the mechanic, it had 2 bent valves on cylinder 1. And he also said the (some) valves on cylinder 2 weren't sealing properly, so the machine shop had to do fix that. He also pulled the oil pan and got the bolt out. The car is working fine now.

However, I was in a parking lot today the revolutions went down and it shut off? And if I turn the steering wheel when idling the car revs. It stalled just once in like 4 days that I've been driving it

When I've on the highway I've gotten a check engine light which I haven't been able to check because the car has a short circuit n I have to disconnect the battery, so that clears yhee CEL every time

Do you think the car has a vacuum leak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 01:29 AM
4th Gear

Send a message via Skype™ to MusicMan374
A slight increase in RPM is normal when turning the steering wheel when stopped, because the power steering pump is putting load on the engine, so it idles higher to compensate. Same things happen when you pump the brakes while idling. As for the check engine light, don't know what to tell you if you can't get a code scanner in there or use the paperclip method. The car stalling could be something as simple as an incorrectly adjusted idle or something like you said, a vacuum leak. You can check all of your vacuum hoses, but I wouldn't worry about one stall unless it happens again. If it does happen again, pay attention to the context, what kind of load was the engine under, what was similar about the two stalls, etc., it'll help you or someone here diagnose it.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:55 AM
6th Gear

A vacuum leak will not cause a check engine light while driving on the highway. Next time the CEL comes on, stop at a parts store and have the code read before you disconnect the battery. Or buy a cheap code reader to carry with you.
I would be more concerned about the electrical short causing your stalling problem than a vacuum leak. Have you tried diagnosing the electrical problem?
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k
Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 AM
1st Gear

I have a code reader, so that's what I'm gonna do. I don't think the electrical short is making it stall. I couldn't find the short circuit, but I found the fuse that disables it.

Once I take out the 40 back up acc fuse, it stops draining the battery that's how I'm driving it right now. The locks and lights inside the car don't work.

What I find weird about this car is that it blows air hot/cold (depending where the AC knob is) when if the blower is off. It has always been like that since I bought it
Old 05-06-2012, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

The code is P1259 VTEC System Malfunction. Even When I put the fuse back the CEL comes up with that code. Any idea?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 AM
6th Gear

That VTEC code can be caused by several things. Since you recently had the head removed for your valve work, check to see if the VTEC wires are all connected. Then make sure you are not low on oil. If the oil is ok, you may have a plugged VTEC oil strainer located under the VTEC solenoid valve on the head. You can search for details on these if you need more info.

I presume the fuse you are removing is the 40 amp fuse under the hood that serves fuses 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 in the pasengers side fuse panel. You can narrow down your power drain problem by removing those one at a time and see which one is causing the drain.
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k
Old 05-18-2012, 07:56 AM
1st Gear

I took my car to a community college where one automotive student found the VTEC screen was clogged with lints from shop rags, he cleaned it and the code went away for a while. I drove on the high way a lot and the code came back just once.

Today when I was driving I was in an intersection and the car stalled. I started the engine again and went across the intersection and then it stalled again. When I tried to start the engine it wouldn't idle. After a many attempts I started the engine and parked it at work.

I'm not worried too much about the vtec system or the shortcircuit. I'm worried about the car stallling. Any ideas?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 AM

If if starts and shuts off it could be the IACV. Try giving it gas as soon as it starts and see if it keeps running. My friend's car was doing that recently and that was the issue.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmedia View Post
I took my car to a community college where one automotive student found the VTEC screen was clogged with lints from shop rags, he cleaned it and the code went away for a while. I drove on the high way a lot and the code came back just once.

Today when I was driving I was in an intersection and the car stalled. I started the engine again and went across the intersection and then it stalled again. When I tried to start the engine it wouldn't idle. After a many attempts I started the engine and parked it at work.

I'm not worried too much about the vtec system or the shortcircuit. I'm worried about the car stallling. Any ideas?
My car did this and it runed out to be the electronic ignition had failed.
JDM Black Housed Halo Projectors
Eibach Suspension Kit - 2in. drop
Mods to come:
New wheels (having a hard time with the 4 Lugs :/)
Type-R front Lip
Possibly KSport Coilovers
Possibly Exhaust
Old 07-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Honda enthusiast

It's the main relay. Hondas are notorious for stalling from a bad main relay. The part is like 90 bucks from the stealership. Good luck with your repairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.