Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Turn signals

4K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Corvair 
#1 ·
So is there any way to increase the number of times our turn signals blink when you just push the stick and not fully engage it. three blinks seems a bit fast/not enough, maybe at least five.

#2 ·
Doesn't seem to be. You have to lock it on then turn it off yourself.

I was trying to get it to single flash, and that seems impossible. But I found you can double flash it. If you lock it on, then turn it off after two flashes it will stop. That doesn't work for one flash though. Funny stuff...

#3 ·
Or just hold it in position, just before it goes into the lock. How quickly we forget! That is how the turn signals worked before the 9th generation.

#4 ·
I hate that damn thing, but was roundly criticized for asking if anyone knew how to disable it. It's a good idea ruined by bad execution. Honda really should have made some on-screen options to customize the number of blinks, disable it, or have a way to turn it back off once it's engaged.

I agree that three blinks isn't enough. I've learned to just do what CobraPA described to keep it from engaging. I would use it if I could set it to five blinks for a lane change and override it as needed.

#6 ·
Three flashes is plenty if you don't take a quarter mile to make your lane change like a lot of people do. This is how I merge/change lanes: 1. Check mirrors to make use lane change/merge is safe. 2. Activate lane change turn signal 3. Make intended lane change/merge. If you need more than three flashes, then you should be stopped waiting for a turn or otherwise have the signal in the locked on position.

#9 ·
I've heard the truckers' rule of thumb is to flash three times before you cross the line and three times after. Granted, they're driving trucks, but I like doing something similar since people don't always notice the first blink or two on a bright day unless they're already looking. Usually I try to do five and cross the line just before the fourth one.

Of course, if traffic doesn't allow it, I'll expedite things a bit. If I'm driving down 75/85 in downtown Atlanta, I'm not waiting for it to blink three times before switching because the spot I want will be gone by then.

#7 ·
I personally like the "tap to pass" feature and I wish our Odyssey had it. Supposidly 2014 Oddys got it. Its nice to touch it and then have both hands available to complete the lane change. All IMO of course.

That being said, I agree with the OP. I wish the number of flashes was adjustable, but it is my understanding that all manufactures that have it default to (3) flashes. That is how my 2005 Magnum RT and 2011 Challenger R/T was set up from the factory. That being said, Chrysler made thiers DEALER adjustable VIA a proprietary device called a STARSCAN. VIA the StarScan the tech could adjust the default number of flashes. They could also activeate and modify other features as well. For example I was able to have them turn on the "headlights on with wipers" feature.

Jay

#8 ·
I wish it were 4 or 5 clicks, too (adjustable would be best). When I change lanes, I usually only get about 2/3rds of my car into the new lane by the time the 3rd blink goes off. And I use the same procedure as TN9thSi does...check that it's safe to change lanes, activate the signal, then make the change. I can only get my car completely into the new lane if I move pretty aggressively and I actually got a warning once for that. Even though I put my signal on before doing the lane change, Officer Friendly told me that I moved too abruptly and could've lost control of the car during the lane change...he said I was "throwing" the car into the new lane. :dunno:

So, after that experience, I try to be more reasonable when I change lanes. I don't take a quarter mile to make the change but I try not to "throw" the car into the new lane anymore. :paranoid:

We have some of the worst traffic here in the DC Metro area (DC/MD/VA) and a major problem with aggressive driving so I guess maybe he thought that's what I was doing.

#11 ·
Well, you could also consider it a 'turn signal' and use it prior to making any lane change. I could make an argument that once you start to cross the line, a flashing indicator is kind of moot.

I thought people were going to complain that 3 blinks was not enough indication 'before' crossing the line.

It's sad that some drivers today don't indicate much, or at all, before turning. That's what we need, a lane change device that requires 3-5 seconds of blinker before it will let you leave your lane! :banana:

#17 ·
The way I think it should work is:
Flick the signal on and it stays on until the lane departure camera senses you've changed lanes and then it stays on for 2/3 more blinks before it turns off.

People, please put your turn signal on BEFORE you change lanes, otherwise just cut me off and let me curse you out, haha!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#22 ·
Want 5? Hit the 3 flashes twice. 6 is pretty close to 5. If the driver behind you miscounts, you got your desired 5 exactly. ;)

#24 ·
That's a great suggestion. But it does seem like more of a hassle to have to hit it twice, though. That's almost like having to hold it the entire time you're changing lanes or having to click it completely on and then unclick it off.

But maybe we could just get used to two hits on the turn signal lever instead of one and it would eventually become second nature. I will definitely give it a try. :thmsup:

#23 ·
In Texas signaling before changing lanes must indicate you are a wimp because most folks just ignore signaling. The current three flashes seems fine for a lane change. First look to see the lane is open, touch the turn signal stalk and then move over. Non of this high tech stuff replaces good defensive driving. Of course those folks driving a huge SUV or 'pick um up truck' you think they are driving a Sherman tank and are invincible and being rude is alright.

The nice thing is that the three blinks overrides the Lane Watch system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.