Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Rear Seat pass through modification?

20K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  johnwill 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Has any one found a way to modify the rear seat to allow for a pass through? With the colder weather coming, I am thinking ahead to ski season and how to get to the mountains. Has anyone cut a hole into the back seat to make a pass through? Does anyone offer an aftermarket option? Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help. Trying to figure out my options before I start a search for a rack. Always better to have the skis in the car to keep them clean from road grim!

Best,

Rob

#4 ·
Agreed, no reason to not split the seat 60/40. Must be a cost savings measure!

Dropping the whole seat doesn't work for me - with the whole family in the car, the back seat is used and therefore is left up.

I'm thinking of seeing how thick the seat material is between the rear center arm rest and the trunk. If thin enough, I may be able to cut a hole out and add a zipper. Thinking this would allow me to pass through skis when needed, but otherwise leave it closed to dampen the noise from coming through.

#17 ·
I did this in 91 Accord, but this was a simple hole cut out in the back seat panel behind the armrest, this time I will try to install a proper pass through frame I purchased from Honda dealer, part from previous, 2008-2012 Accord model, readily available from any Honda dealer

#5 ·
The whole seat split thing was nearly a deal breaker for my wife and I...but I have a Ford Edge already so if we need to haul anything, we can at least use that...

I think if you were to break apart the seats, even if you somehow managed to do a great job (let alone the fabric/leather would need to be wrapped around), it might ruin the structural/safety integrity of the rear seats.

Like you said, I think the only option would be to somehow cut the space underneath the armrest and have it fold down somehow, and clip back up. Wouldn't be able to use it for anything else than skis though!

Or consider snowblades. lol.

#7 ·
Get a Thule or comparable roof rack system. I have a set that i used a few times with my snowboards this winter. Its less permanent and easier, plus you can sell them when your done using them. Now that is the end of ski season (in america at least), you should be able to find a set for a decent price. Just make sure you apply a 3m clear barrier at the contact points to prevent scratching the paint.

#8 ·
The lack of the 60 / 40 drives me crazy. My old 04 Coupe had it and I loved it. Drooing the entire back seat is PIA. Never mind the loss of space. Since my skis are in the car at least 3 times a week, I found my back seat was always down this year with my 13. Ski season is pretty much done in my area now and the back seat has gone back up and will probably stay there until next December. I am not fan of the roof boxes or racks so I will have to grin and bear it.

I am convinced its a cost saving thing that killed the 60 / 40 Provide useless voice recognition instead of the split. Saves the extra matierial in the seat, saves a "pull" assembly in the trunk and probably a few extra parts where the seat sits against the trunk

#9 ·
Yea, it's annoying. I would have paid an extra $50.00 or whatever it costs to have a 60/40 split seat.

Do the other models (i.e LX, EX, etc) have the 60/40 split? If they do, maybe there's a way to swap in a seat from another model (although the latch and release mechanism may be very different).

#11 ·
Here's that BassLink thread: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=169770

I suppose if the opening size of the area behind the arm rest is big enough for your skis to fit through, some sort of decent looking fabrication could be done to cover up when not in use. Snowboards ain't gonna fit though.

#15 ·
That's too bad, my 7th Gen Coupe has 60/40 split rear seat and I've used it to carry 8 foot lumbers with ease at times.

Guess there won't be any 9th Gen Accord in my future anytime soon.

#19 ·
Honda left that out of the N/A market for "NVH" purposes!! Bull$hit!

As always, the bean-counters won this one! :headbash: (Just like glovebox lights, windshield tint "brows," reasonable-quality carpet, decent voice-recognition, coin-box...! :wavebye: Well.."decent voice recognition" never existed with our NAVIs anyway..you need to look to Ford's SYNC for that!)

My guess would be that the best thing to do is to obtain the ASEAN-market part, then take the car to a trim shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.