Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Anyone have experience with Mastercraft tires?

64K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  greybird 
#1 ·
I just bought my first Honda; a 2003 Accord LX 4 cylinder. It still has the original Michelins on it and they're not in great condition.

I made an appointment with my local dealer, who I've heard alot of great things about, to get the coolant and transmission fluid changed. Amongst other tire brands, this dealer sells Mastercraft tires (Owned by Cooper Tires Company) and they say that they don't really get any complaints about them and that most people go with them. The service guy himself said that he has them on his own Hondas.

Anyway, they want 93 bucks per tire. I'm not sure which model they are. My tire size is 205-65/15 btw.

One more thing, my driving style is easy going, I am not really a spirited driver. I want an affordable tire that is safe and has decent build quality, I'm not so much concerned about how well it handles during race-like conditions ;)

Tires are so damn difficult to compare since there are reviews for any given tire that say they are great and then others that say they are terrible. This dealer seems great and their service prices are excellent so I don't suspect that they are blowing smoke about these tires. What do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
That is a premium price for what is probably not a premium tire. Cooper is not a premium tire.

They are a dealership which means they are professionals at blowing smoke. Whether or not they have any complaints about them is pretty much irrelevant especially when 10% or less (generally speaking) will complain when there is a problem.

Shop around for a tire store that actually knows how to run a balancer. Look at TireRack for their professional review of tires as well.

#3 ·
I've ran the Cooper Cobras on a previous ride, which I believe is the same tire. They may have only lasted 35-40K, but they handled well. They sound a little expensive for 15s. See if you can get the Kumho Solus KH16 locally or consider TireRack. They're not super performance tires, but are highly rated for normal driving.

#5 ·
$93 for a 15" size tire is expensive IMO.

You need to shop around a bit to compare prices.

EDIT>>>>>>

A quick check at Tire Rack shows that you can get a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX's for around $245 shipped (~ $61 per tire) or the Kumho Solus KH16's (which were recommended above) for around $255 shipped (~ $64 per tire).

#6 ·
$93 for a 15" size tire is expensive IMO.

You need to shop around a bit to compare prices.
yep...I grabbed 225/50/16's BFG Traction T/A's on sale from sears this past fall for 97$ a tire , I believe they run 127-130$ a tire normally

That's considered a low profile/sport tire too

93$ in 15" regular tires should get you almost into Michelin territory IIRC. But for the money, and if you shop around... I put my money on BFG's...I love their tread/dry and wet handling/side wall visual aesthetics/endurance/and mainly how well they handle corners.

#7 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I listened to my gut feeling and decided to order from Tirerack instead. I got four Bridgestone Potenza G 009 tires for $284, $35 shipping and a "partner" garage of Tirerack in my area will mount, balance, stem them and dispose of the old tires for $54.95. So for $375 I get a set of tires I have actually heard of when it would have cost $428 (mounted and balance) for the Mastercrafts :thmsup:

#9 ·
That's what I have!

You'll love them. I'd have them rebalanced after 7500 miles and rotated front the back. These tires are so much better than those Michelin's, SO much better. Firestone Complete Auto Care installed mine for a reasonable price; I also bought them there cause it was just as cheap when shipping was factored in. - And I could get roadhazard locally.

Report back!

#10 ·
Good move!

It's amazing what some shops charge and stay in business. I'll strongly consider TireRack for my next tire purchase. Their tire / wheel combos seem like a really good deal too.

#12 ·
Masrercraft on my Tacoma

Last year I purchased a set of Mastercraft Courser tires for my 2002 Tacoma pickup. I usually had purchased Michelin tires but their cost was way more than I wanted to pay. I was very impressed with the Mastercraft tires. The ride was very smooth and quiet; better than the Michelins. The Mastercraft tires also gave very good traction in wet weather. Even in snow pulling out of my driveway which is a incline was easy with no slippage at all. However I was in 4-wheel drive. I feel the Mastercrafts are a great buy. I have since traded that Tacoma for a 2013 Tacoma. It has Bridgestone Duelers on it with only 4K miles on them. I would gladly switch to Masrercrafts. When in the future I need new tires Mastercrafts will be at the top of my list.

#13 ·
I just installed Mastercrafts on my 2002 Ford Escape XLS. They gave a very quiet and comfortable ride. I drove over mounds of ice and up a steep driveway which was a sheet of ice. I had no traction problems whatsoever. We do not use the Escape that much, but the tires seem decent. My wife was even very impressed with the ride. I just hope that the treads do not wear out too soon. Our previous Michelin M+S tires lasted over 90K miles. They were extremely bumpy though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.