Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Sunglass Holder Replacement (Pics)

37K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Gen7coupe 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I picked up my 2004 Accord EX-L V6 this past weekend, and I love it, except for one thing... My sunglass holder won't stay closed. Seems like it will stay in the shut position for approx 15 minutes, unless a large bump is hit, then it will pop open. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on a solution?

#2 ·
i had this problem a while back too....forgot how i fixed it though. i think there's this pin on the left side that was moved out of place. the pin follows this path and when it's not in the grove, it doesn't lock it in place....sorry i can't be any clearer but i'll come back later and hope fully explain it better after i look at my car

#10 ·
#9 ·
Replacing Sunglass Holder (with pics)

OK, so today I replaced my sunglass holder in my 04 Accord EX-L, and I wanted to post up a thread so if any other 7th Generation owners have the same problem they have a crude road map...

1) Remove the two screws located in the roof of the sunglass holder compartment.

2) Gently pry the covers off the front map lights. (I did not have one of those small screw drivers, so I used a 1.5mm alan wrench)

Here is a picture of the map light cover so you can see how the clips hold the cover in place.

3) Remove the screw located next to the lightbulb on both sides.

4) Gently remove the whole assembly from the headliner. Make sure to unclip the two wires powering the maplights and ambient lighting!

5) Pop the maplight/ambient light assembly out of the sunglass holder by gently pushing on the back portion of the lights.

6) Insert old map light assembly into new sunglass holder, making sure to push it till it clicks into place.

7) Insert the whole assembly back into headliner and replace the four screws that were removed in order to take the assembly out. When done it should look like this:

I was able to do this change in about 30 minutes. I used a quick release rachet w/8mm Socket (w/extension) for the two screws located inside the sunglass compartment and a phillips head screw driver for the screws located in the maplights. Below is a picture of the tools needed to perform this repair. **The flashlight was used b/c of how dark it is in my garage.**

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.