Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

maintenence required light

16K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  cwp587 
#1 ·
My maintenence required light flashes ten times when I turn the key to the on positiion. It flashes ten times and then quits. I don't think I have noticed this before, but maybe it always does that.

Anybody have any idea what may be causing this? Thanks

#2 ·
I have this light as well..I dunno how to turn it off. It started out flashing a couple of times, and the more miles I put on the car it more it flashes, now it stays on. I rotated my tires and changed the oil :dunno:

#3 ·
This is the most commonly asked question on Honda sites all over the internet...and the answer is in your owner's manual.

But since we're very friendly here......

The maintenance required light is activated by mileage only. There are no magical sensors to detect the age of your oil, the quality of your maintenance, or your mechanical ability. As you get closer to the specified interval (7500 miles?), it will start to flash. Once you get there, it stays on.

To turn it off, hold in your mileage reset button, turn your key on, and wait until it goes out (about 10 seconds).

If it doesn't go off, THEN we need to talk...

:thmsup:

#4 ·
CometVR4 said:
I have this light as well..I dunno how to turn it off. It started out flashing a couple of times, and the more miles I put on the car it more it flashes, now it stays on. I rotated my tires and changed the oil :dunno:
P.S. Welcome to Driveaccord, Comet. 2 very nice looking rides you got there...! :naughty:

#5 ·
Pairallel said:
This is the most commonly asked question on Honda sites all over the internet...and the answer is in your owner's manual.

But since we're very friendly here......

The maintenance required light is activated by mileage only. There are no magical sensors to detect the age of your oil, the quality of your maintenance, or your mechanical ability. As you get closer to the specified interval (7500 miles?), it will start to flash. Once you get there, it stays on.

To turn it off, hold in your mileage reset button, turn your key on, and wait until it goes out (about 10 seconds).

If it doesn't go off, THEN we need to talk...

:thmsup:
Thanks for your help. I bought my Honda used and it didn't come with an owners manual. :wave:

Pairallel said:
P.S. Welcome to Driveaccord, Comet. 2 very nice looking rides you got there...!
Thanks, It took me forever to find a forum just for Accords. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
A nice local dealer might give you an owner's manual for free. My local Chrysler dealer did in 2001 for my 1993 LeBaron.

#9 ·
Just reset mine yesterday. Thanks to all who posted in this & other maintenance light threads.

#10 ·
Maint Req'd light won't reset....

OK - Since the son is now driving the Accord more than I, while moving it in the driveway tonite I noticed the Maint Req'd light was flashing. Car has 8500 miles. Oil's been changed by me twice so far. As has been said here and in the owner's manual, you push the reset button, turn the ignition to On and hold the button for 10 secs or so, until the light goes out.

Tried this 5 different times and the light still blinks. I know I understand how to do this because I do it on the Pilot - but the Accord doesn't seem to like me. :paranoid: Any ideas?

thx- andy

#12 ·
andysinnh said:
OK - Since the son is now driving the Accord more than I, while moving it in the driveway tonite I noticed the Maint Req'd light was flashing. Car has 8500 miles. Oil's been changed by me twice so far. As has been said here and in the owner's manual, you push the reset button, turn the ignition to On and hold the button for 10 secs or so, until the light goes out.

Tried this 5 different times and the light still blinks. I know I understand how to do this because I do it on the Pilot - but the Accord doesn't seem to like me. :paranoid: Any ideas?

thx- andy
It works if I push and hold it before I switch the ignition on

#13 ·
My light still stays on... I changed my own oil last round and didnt reset the maintenance required light. Now since I have traveled over 7500 mi with it on can I get it to reset ever? Or is this more likely another issue that need resolving before this light will go out?

#14 ·
You must turn off the car. Then, hold down the button in the glass above your steering wheel, where your speedometer is at.

Then, while holding the button down, start the car. Continue holding down the button until the light turns off. It will take quite some time (up to 10 seconds). It will then reset. You have now reset your maintenance minder!

If you ever stop pressing the button down during the process, it will not work.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.