Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Weird Problems with Radio / CD

22K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  scalest2 
#1 ·
So recently I have started noticing some strange problems with my car's stereo. I can usually listen to the music from the radio or from the CD I put in (I have the single-disc player) fine, but occassionally it would shut off on its own in the middle of a song or while I'm listening to something interesting. It doesn't do this all the time. It happens only from time to time, but it's been happening more frequently lately. It really ****s when it happens! I already tried to disconnect the fuse for the radio in the interior fuse box to no avail. The weirdest part is, sometimes I can hear music playing from the radio when I approach my car, even BEFORE I enter the car and WITHOUT me inserting the car key and starting the car!!! So my question is - Has anyone heard any strange problem like this before?! My car's battery seems to be fine so I'm really clueless as to what is going on here. :dunno:

Another problem I've had for a while now is that the audio screen on the center display does not light up at night at times. Worse yet, sometimes it would light up, then it would go dark again on its own from time to time. I have done some research on my own and it seems that I'm not the only 7th gen owner who has experienced this problem.

I would GREATLY appreciate any input from everyone!!! Particularly on what might be the cause for the first problem that I've described in my first paragraph.

Thanks all!

See less See more
#2 ·
Haha common problem with 7th gen oem cd players. Display goes out is the first signs and then eventually the deck is just done for. Chances are you might as well buy a metra conversion to add an afgermarket deck. Thats what is did, better than paying a shit load for another oem deck to brake again. Good luck

#3 ·
Haha common problem with 7th gen oem cd players. Display goes out is the first signs and then eventually the deck is just done for. Chances are you might as well buy a metra conversion to add an afgermarket deck. Thats what is did, better than paying a shit load for another oem deck to brake again. Good luck
I do realize that some 7th gen owners have had problems with the display light go out, but what about my first problem? Is this something that happened to you, or is common to other 7th g owners in general as well?

What do you mean by the "deck is just done for"? Will something else go wrong besides the stereo & display? The A/C control etc? My car has been bullet proof besides this and a few other minor annoyances, so I certainly hope that that's not the case. :(

#4 ·
This could be something as simple as a broken power knob on the radio. This can cause the power button to be hyper sensitive when hitting bumps. It could just be stuck. Maybe clean it up. Pretty sure thats it

#5 ·
I've had everything you describe in my '03 with 150k. I almost freaked out the first time I came into my garage and the radio was playing. It has slowley deteriorated over time to the point now where I have no light at night and the stereo goes off about every 10 minutes. I believe the problem is in the radio/display unit itself (not an electrical issue). There are no good solutions that I've found. 1) You're looking at $300 to replace what you have, or 2) $150 to buy a conversion kit that actually takes the place of you radio, or 3) about $25 for a conversion kit that goes in where your storage compartment is (you keep your old unit installed with no power).

#7 ·
Thanks for all the helpful feedback all! :thmsup:
I've had everything you describe in my '03 with 150k. I almost freaked out the first time I came into my garage and the radio was playing. It has slowley deteriorated over time to the point now where I have no light at night and the stereo goes off about every 10 minutes. I believe the problem is in the radio/display unit itself (not an electrical issue). There are no good solutions that I've found. 1) You're looking at $300 to replace what you have, or 2) $150 to buy a conversion kit that actually takes the place of you radio, or 3) about $25 for a conversion kit that goes in where your storage compartment is (you keep your old unit installed with no power).
So did I. At first I said, "no way, this is not happening!" Then I thought the car was possessed or something once it's determined that the problem does exist.

I've had no problem with the lights so far, but this is something that's been always on my mind. I definitely don't want the issue to get worse, but if it's going to happen then I'd better do something about it.

So, which, of the solutions you've mentioned, did you go with? I assume the prices you listed only cover parts. Any idea on how much it would likely cost to have someone replace it for you?

My CD player actually does not work. When I turn on the power to the radio, the FM/AM stations will switch channels for about 20-30 seconds before it stays put. This happens all the time. Other times, it will switch between stations and turns off (as part of the switching) for about one hour before it stays on a radio station.
Mine is not that crazy yet. Although it is still quite annoying when it happens.
The CD part does not work anymore. Took it to Honda, they only recommend getting a new radio for >$800.
So, does this quote include parts + labor?
I cannot deal with $800 for parts alone. But it seems more reasonable if it includes labor & there's some sort of warranty that goes with their work (don't want to deal with it again).

Thinking about switching to aftermarket, but I've been fine with this for almost three years,although at times I am TIRED of listening to the radio. LOL.
wow... 3 years! This has been going on for *only* several months and it's starting to drive me nuts... I know for sure that I can't deal with it for 3 years!

#6 ·
My CD player actually does not work. When I turn on the power to the radio, the FM/AM stations will switch channels for about 20-30 seconds before it stays put. This happens all the time. Other times, it will switch between stations and turns off (as part of the switching) for about one hour before it stays on a radio station. The CD part does not work anymore. Took it to Honda, they only recommend getting a new radio for >$800. Thinking about switching to aftermarket, but I've been fine with this for almost three years, although at times I am TIRED of listening to the radio. LOL.

#8 ·
Best bet is to buy another one. I might be willing to sell you my stock '07 EX-L V6 coupe one w/ AM/FM CD/AUX/XM 6-Disc Dual Zone w/ only 35k mi on it, works perfectly and has been converted for a sedan (whitish-green illumination dash)

Lmk if interested

#10 ·
If I can install this for my 06 EX 4-cyl then I'll definitely be interested if it's the right price. I don't think it can, though. Someone corrects me if I'm wrong. I've actually also been looking for OEM, but all the online places I've seen had them sold out.

#11 ·
im having motly the same issue [ except for radio on when car is off ]
ebay has the oem radio block replacement for about $200
i mostly see the 6 disk changer on ebay though.
i need to find out if i can replace my one cd radio block with a 6 disk radio block [ this is the only thing preventing me from buying it] or at least a retrofit
an aftermarket radio replacement will sound better and have alot more features [ depending on what radio you buy ] but i want a stock look
i live in NYC [bronx] can anyone recommend a place that repairs the oem radio block? 2ac2

#12 ·
I have the same story. My car has been problem free but the stereo recently went out. It started to go out occasionally and until it eventually stopped working all together. I looked at the kit that replaces your oem, but it felt cheap to me, so I went with an aftermarket radio in my storage cubby and was very happy. I got one with a red display that nearly matches the rest of my console. There's still a slot below the radio for storage if you must keep junk in your car. I was initially concerned that it would look weird having 2 stereos, but the original doesn't even look like a stereo.

The only problem is that the new stereo is lower, which increases the time my eyes are off the road when I'm searching through mp3 folders on the USB.

#14 ·
i learned this lesson the hard way......... too much money
the $150 is that cheap looking one from metra...
their new one is alot better looking but no online store is offering a discout on it
http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-7864
best bet is to get an aftermarket head-unit in the lower cubby. sonicelectronix and crutchfield give you the lower installation piece for free.
it makes the stock speakers sound so much better, then you will want to replace the stock ones cause you know it can sound so much better, and aftermarket radios have so many features.
ebay / or other used oem radio's will give the same/similar problems down the line . i think its most due to age [ Russian roulette ]

#15 ·
Any body have problems with their's ...always trying to load a CD and there's no CD in it I have a 2009 honda accord and it does it way to often if I bluetooth through it or just listening to the radio it does it.. "CD LOAD" Pops up on the display over and over stopping my music. HELP ANYONE?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.