Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

2011 E350 vs 2013 Accord Touring DILEMMA

16K views 85 replies 34 participants last post by  GradyPhilpott 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I'm in a dilemma right now. Please help me choose. I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Yesterday, a friend of mine told me that the dealership he's working at had a leased car coming in for sale.

Car A:

2011 CPO White E350. 18000 miles. Sold on May 22nd, 2011. One owner. Looks like brand new. No Navi though. everything else is standard. OTD price is 35000.

Car B: 2013 Honda Accord Touring. Black. OTD price is 33000.

Personally, Mercedes Benz has always been my dream car. No matter it's new or used. I know it's kinda expensive to maintain and repair this car. The good thing is this car only has less than 20000 miles, which I think it's pretty good considering this car has been out for almost 2 years. The bad though is this car doesn't have navigation included and no line watch, which I really like it on accord. Everything else would be pretty standard. Nothing worth to mention.

On the other hand, the Accord seems really worth the money because it's reliable and "cheap" to maintain, and it's brand new to me. It has everything I can imagine on a car. Most importantly, it's 2000 cheaper!!!.

I know you guys all have Honda cars, and you guys might be biased. But please, Help me choose between these car rationally and wisely.

Last note, I'm planning to keep either car for 2-3 years because I'm currently in a college, and I want to buy a brand new Benz after graduating from school.

I would appreciate any inputs.

Thanks
Trojan,
Fight on!

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello guys,

I'm in a dilemma right now. Please help me choose. I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Yesterday, a friend of mine told me that the dealership he's working at had a leased car coming in for sale.

Car A:

2011 CPO White E350. 18000 miles. Sold on May 22nd, 2011. One owner. Looks like brand new. No Navi though. everything else is standard. OTD price is 35000.

Car B: 2013 Honda Accord Touring. Black. OTD price is 33000.

Personally, Mercedes Benz has always been my dream car. No matter it's new or used. I know it's kinda expensive to maintain and repair this car. The good thing is this car only has less than 20000 miles, which I think it's pretty good considering this car has been out for almost 2 years. The bad though is this car doesn't have navigation included and no line watch, which I really like it on accord. Everything else would be pretty standard. Nothing worth to mention.

On the other hand, the Accord seems really worth the money because it's reliable and "cheap" to maintain, and it's brand new to me. It has everything I can imagine on a car. Most importantly, it's 2000 cheaper!!!.

I know you guys all have Honda cars, and you guys might be biased. But please, Help me choose between these car rationally and wisely.

Last note, I'm planning to keep either car for 2-3 years because I'm currently in a college, and I want to buy a brand new Benz after graduating from school.

I would appreciate any inputs.

Thanks
Trojan,
Fight on!
If you only plan to keep the car for 2-3 years, you should go with the Accord since it has better resale value.

#6 ·
Not necessarily. The Benz would be used and already took a substantial depreciation hit. The Accord would be new, and like any new car, would take the same hit, except on his watch. But both cars would continue to depreciate.

I would say money-wise, the Benz is the better option since you'd be buying a $50K+ car for $35K whereas with the Accord you're buying what's essentially a low $20K car (the base trim) but paying a load for all the extra options. Just one way to look at it. If you're planning to buy a new Benz in a few years anyway, I'd say don't buy either one of these, and find a cheaper car for now. Save your money.

Something to consider: Mercedes have this silly "safety" feature that automatically opens the air circulation after a set amount of time. This can be annoying if it happens just as you're driving behind a stinker. Also, the current E-class has somewhat narrow, sporty seats that didn't fit my somewhat wide shoulders well. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the Benz doesn't have issues with poor door/window sealing and wind noise on the highway.

#5 ·
Well, given that it's CPO and you can deal with lack of technology (I can't I'm a gadget freak which means anything I buy will be optioned up), if it's your dream car you might have to go for it.

On the other hand, where are you in life? I didn't buy a "nice" car until I was 30 (3 SAABs followed by a BMW 335i). Now that I'm mid-40's and looking back at all the disposable income I spent on cars, I'm here in the Accord forum considering a downgrade (or is it?) in my daily driver.

#8 ·
Well put on looking back. Looks like I am not the only one "tired" of spending money on fancy schmancy cars even though I can afford it. I chose the Accord because it was a smart buy, great car, and I love the way it drives and it's features.

#7 ·
I hate to be a bubble burster but CPO is a complete joke. Check what is not covered in the CPO warranty and you'll be shocked. Audi is the worst, MB and BMW are not far behind. What happens when the CPO is up. CPO is not the same as the factoy bumper to bumper-my CPO 2008 750 did not cover eletronics like Nav, CD, heated/cooled seats to name a few.

Do you keep a European car without a warranty? If so, you are either insane or super rich. Smart people don't buy MB, Audi, or BMW. They lease under warranty and at lease end, they drop the keys at the dealer and RUN away.

As one who loves and has owned many Euro cars, modern German iron is less reliable than any domestic car but the German cars have a certain je ne sais quois that Ford just can't match.

#9 ·
but the German cars have a certain je ne sais quois that Ford just can't match.
Exactly . . . I have AAA Autoguard 7/100K warranty for my 2007 335i but it's up in about a year so internet window shopping. The warranty was $3000 way back when I bought it and it's truly bumper to bumper (includes "luxury electronics"). However it has also paid for itself to the tune of $4800 in warranty work (100% engine related) so as much as I love the 335i, I can't keep it past about this time next year. BMW does now (I think) offer extended warranties that cover electronics but they are of course priced so that BMW doesn't lose money. The N54 engine was an unknown quantity when I bought my warranty and as a result has more than paid for itself.

Either car you will pay maintenance on either but for sure the maintenance will be cheaper with the Accord, and once the CPO is up on the E350, what do you do? The Accord will likely still be running strong long past when the CPO warranty is up and cost a lot less to maintain.

#22 ·
Not to be insulting, but if you think that an MB (or BMW or Audi) has better quality and better engineering than a Honda (or Toyota or Acura or Lexux), you're drunk from too much Kool-Aid.

Check out the reliability records in Consumer Reports, for one data point.

#18 ·
Mercedes have always been nice. My "dream car" had always been BMW 5-series. Now that I can easily afford one, I don't want it anymore. Looked at the 5 and the new 3 as well Audi this time around. Bought top trim Accord and love it. Just like the last time....BMW budget and Honda Accord tastes.

#21 ·
It's fun when you have your own house to come home to. :thmsup:

#25 ·
As someone not very long out of college, take this advice: Don't buy a new car right out of college. Are you living at home with the rents, or did you already buy a house? A co-worker of mine bought a 370z because he HAD to have one. He now regrets it as he rents an apartment, with a shiny car in front of it.

If you were looking for the sensible decision, you wouldn't be buying either of these cars..you'd be looking at a 7th gen or maybe 8th, and saving your money. Otherwise, not much worse than getting out of college and burying yourself in debt. :thumbsdow. Also, if you have student loans, those will kick in 6 months after graduation.

#31 ·
Just traded my beautiful 5 series (sport, premium, nav, comfort access, everything) in on a 13 Touring. The BMW was CPO but that doesn't cover as much as you think it does. At the end, I was headed to new tires (1800 with alignment...lasts 18 months), my trunk wouldn't open without a physical key, and a park distance sensor was out. They wanted $900 to *diagnose* the sensor issue THEN they would tell me if it was covered depending on which part number was replaced.

You're in school? Get a used car and have fun with it. Spend the difference on beer and women. Your buds are just going to puke in it anyway....

#33 ·
You can do a lot with an E-class tuning wise - there's a robust aftermarket - even for non-AMGs.

If you're interested in having a sweet sleeper that also kinda makes you look like a semi-roller, than you might have a case for the Benz.

You want a daily driver, low ownership cost and value retention? Obviously this is the Accord.

#34 ·
Wow you're budget in college is a lot more than mine. Nicely done. Get the accord and save and trade it in 3 years and buy your dream benz.

#40 ·
This is a tough one! The Benz is a very nice car and considering it's your dream car, how could you pass it up? But before rushing into it, you should weigh the pros and cons and really consider if its worth taking the risk. The Accord will be an amazing car during the short 2-3 years of your ownership. If you feel like you're not going to be completely happy with the Accord, then get the Benz. Personally, I would test drive the hell out of both and come to a firm decision. You don't want to get into the Accord and have doubts and regret that you didn't get the Benz (or vice versa)-- it's going to haunt you. Anyways, good luck with the decision.

#46 ·
The Lexus sounds overpriced for a 2 yr old car. If minimizing depreciation is a major concern, getting a good purchase price needs to be a top priority on whatever you buy. It is easier to get a good purchase price on new cars, because there are a ton of them exactly the same for sale. With used cars, you have to wait until a good deal shows up. If you are looking for an exact used model, it may take months to get a good deal. A second point, the CPO warranty on the Lexus is inconsequential. Lexus has a 4yr warranty so the car is still under the original warranty for 2 more years regardless if it is CPO or not.

#47 ·
Hey man... I had the same problem
It was between a new accord EX around $25K and a 2011 C300 around $27K with $20K miles
Basically long story short...
I went with an accord because
1. Didnt wanna way for maintenance (just like 2 kings said) most people lease and dump
2. An accord will last me years and years longer than the Mercedez
3. Im 26 and going back to school and figured id just buy me a benz as a grad gift later on
4. This is an all new accord design. So style will be good for the next 4-5 years compared to the merc which will be redesigned soon
5. Gas mileage
6. You get what you pay for

Dont get me wrong i stillhave a dream of havig a benz or bmw but ill be leasing a new one maybe later on after i finish school.

#50 ·
In todays automotive world heavy doesn't mean cheap or fragile. The Accord has one of the stiffest unibodys out there. The application of HSS and UHSS steels are becoming more common. My 90 Accords doors felt heavier than my 13, but as far as strength and quality it's apples and oranges.

#56 ·
I never liked MB's change onf nomenclature now I have a new reason not to like it.

MBs should be named with numbers first. 220S, 300 SEL, 300E etc. this business of E350 and S500 is not what traditional MB people are used to and new buyers don't have a clue on the history and don't care.

And yes, it cornfuses forum members.

#59 ·
I am in the university and recently purchased Accord 13 Sport (CVT),
Mercedes is one of my dream cars as well, but I would go for somewhat cheaper JDM sedans like Accord 13 with i4 or Mazda 6 just because of the car is new and cost less to repair if anything happens.
If money is not a problem for you, E-class seems like a great deal.

But in general college/univ kids, I would go for something cheaper and cost efficient for now.

#60 ·
I can afford to drive cars in the $30-40k range, but as luck would have it, the car I like the most is sold by Honda for about $26k. :D

This is good, because that leaves me money to indulge my other passions.

All the watches I like cost somewhere north of $5K and my appetite is almost insatiable. :screwy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.