Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Wont Start!!!! (sparatic)

9K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  lsvtecwmf 
#1 ·
2002 Accord EX 3.0 ltr V6

Sometimes i will get in the car, put in the key and turn to crank and it will not fire. It does crank but it wont fire at all. Ones and a while it will start and then shut off right away. It seems to do this when its warm/hot out. Then sometimes after its doing this, i will turn the key and it will fire up right away. Very weird but its happening more and more now

98k miles
changed spark plugs a year ago

#2 ·
Main relay is my best first guess.

Does the check engine light come on for 2 seconds then go off when first turning the key on, when it doesn't start? You should also hear the relay click on key on, then click again after 2 seconds.

If the check engine light doesn't come on or stays on steady with key on, engine off when it doesn't start, the main relay is definitely something to look at.

#3 ·
i have not noticed the check engine light coming on at all and in terms of a relay click, i dont quite know what to listen for so i have not noticed it.

sometimes it seems like an anti theft immobilizer issue because sometimes it will fire up and die right away

#4 ·
what's the green key light doing?

The check engine light will not be on when the car is running if the main relay has an issue.

You have to watch it when the key is on and engine is OFF when it doesn't start.

#7 ·
My 02 is doing the same thing. I figured it was the main relay or a fuel pump relay. Old preludes have this same problem, you'd think honda would have fixed it over the last decade. For now I'm just parking in the shade, and leaving the sun roof cracked, so the cabin temp doesn't get hot enough to affect it.

#8 ·
This happened to my 99 Accord a few weeks ago, turned out to be the Main Relay as mentioned above. I wasn't as lucky as you guys, I was able to start the car fine but I noticed the problem when the engine shut off going 35 down the road. I coasted to a stop, waited a few minutes and it started up just fine. Confused the hell out of me. A simple DIY fix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viIZ8k60awY

Watch this video even if you don't want to do the repair yourself, he does a good job of explaining the problem. Basically faulty solder joints break down over time, and if you looked at your relay you'd probably find the weak joint easily. When it gets hot, the metal expands too thin and opens the circuit. I soldered my relay myself and (after a month of 90+ degrees) my car has yet to shut off randomly. It's up to you if you trust your soldering skills.

#9 ·
I looked at that video on youtube...very good info.
Anybody know where that main relay is exactly located
on an 04 Accord 4 cyl and do I have to pull off any access panels?
The weather 's been really cookin the past few months so stuff can
break down.

Luke

#12 ·
Similar symptoms on mine last month. Dealer replaced the main relay due to the solder joint issue and hot weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.