Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Back seat folds down

43K views 77 replies 31 participants last post by  carlson03 
#1 ·
Can anyone please explain to me why all the sedans I looked at had 60/40 split folding seats, yet the accord is one full piece that folds down!?!?!

I hate it! :( I basically can't have multiple skis or a snowboard or whatever else with 3 people in the car! :(:(:(

How am I supposed to travel with long stuff and 3+ people??!?!?

#6 ·
The specs on Honda's site only says for 2007 that a fold-down rear seatback with lock is standard (60/40 not specified). On all but the VP, it says a fold-down rear seat center armrest/trunk pass through is available. My '03 Accord Cpe also has the 60/40, but no pass-through. Unlike my '01 Acura CL (supposedly the chassis the accord is based on?) didn't fold down at all.. it *only* had the pass-through. Chalk it up to Honda quirkyness.. like only allowing EX-L V6 owners the Homelink option.

#7 ·
Its a give or take situation.

Coupe owners get 60/40 seats, but no armrest or ski pass through. Sedan Owners get full seat fold flat, and an armrest w/pass through. Sorry if this sounds 'negative', but if you needed to be able to use the rear seat and take large items with you, you should've inculded that into your car research (and checked coupes AND sedans) as well as thought about buying a larger vehicle (CR-V).

About the CL mentioned in the last post, the current Accord is somewhat based off the old CL/TL, but if anything is similar, it'd be the 1st/2nd gen CL's to 5th/6th Gen Accords.

#8 ·
Ya I have the pass-through, but that leaves room for basically only ONE pair of skis.

I almost always go with someone, and they most likely have a snowboard... and that means no 3rd person can join us :(

Apart from a roof mount (NO THANKS) is there anything I can do!? I wonder if any body shop would MAKE it a 60/40?

#9 ·
My accord has the 60/40 and full width pass though? maybe its because its a UK car and all ours are imports from Japan? But if they fit, you may be able to find and swop one? :dunno:

#10 ·
James.uk said:
My accord has the 60/40 and full width pass though? maybe its because its a UK car and all ours are imports from Japan? But if they fit, you may be able to find and swop one? :dunno:
Not gonna work, and most of our accords are built here. We've never had your Accord as any Honda/Acura model in the U.S.

Kaitlyn2004 said:
Apart from a roof mount (NO THANKS) is there anything I can do!? I wonder if any body shop would MAKE it a 60/40?
No body shop will make it a 60/40, but a custom interior shop might, but the seat is not that simple. It has a frame, and the coupe one will not just 'pop' into the Sedan. I don't even think it'd fit.

There is essentially nothing within reason you can do. Should've bought the model that was better for you if you knew you'd be using the car to ski and such, but you still have a really great car! :thumbsup: :yes: :thmsup:

Honda has a Ski Rack made JUST for your Accord. Go look into it.

#12 ·
#13 ·
#14 ·
Agreed Stupidity On Honda's Part

Accord's shocking lack of a 60/40 fold down rear seatback and inability to play CD-RW discs are among the stupidest and most vile, heinous, disgusting omissions in a motor vehicle this century. Even the cheapest Hyundai Accent plays CD-RW and has a 60/40 split seatback. So does, as another example, the cheapest entry level Ford Focus.

These two issues seriously anger me to no end. In what is otherwise a superb car, Honda decided that their Accord customers aren't good enough for these basic, brainless features-- Features that make sense-- Features that should be standard on all cars on this friggin' planet.

Honda has exhibited astounding, brazen ineptitude in their willful decision to omit these features, and the guy, woman, or group of people responsible for these issues deserve to be fired or flogged. Preferably both.

Alright, forget the bodily harm part. But I’m serious about being scathingly angered by the matter. I mean, for these people to leave these complete numbskull features out they must have balls of steel! I just... can't... believe it...

:rant: :furious: :headbash: :censored:

#16 ·
So the sedan owners are complaining that they don't have 60/40. Next thing you know, we'll be hearing from coupe owners complaining about not having the center armrest and pass-through. Then there are the CL/TL owners who'll be upset because they have neither. Sheesh ... Just can't please anyone. :dunno: The grass is always greener somewhere else...

I, for one, like the center armrest in the sedan. It gives the car a classier and more elegant look, which is partially why we chose the Accord in the first place. I liked having the 60/40 split in our previous coupe, but I don't miss it much. If I need to carry cargo, I'll go get a CRV or Pilot, or borrow a friend's truck.

You just have to choose what works best for you, but keep in mind that whatever you drive, it'll be a compromise in some way ... except for the V6/6MT, of course -- good power AND decent fuel economy. :thmsup:

#17 ·
GeoLogic said:
Accord's shocking lack of a 60/40 fold down rear seatback and inability to play CD-RW discs are among the stupidest and most vile, heinous, disgusting omissions in a motor vehicle this century. Even the cheapest Hyundai Accent plays CD-RW and has a 60/40 split seatback. So does, as another example, the cheapest entry level Ford Focus.

These two issues seriously anger me to no end. In what is otherwise a superb car, Honda decided that their Accord customers aren't good enough for these basic, brainless features-- Features that make sense-- Features that should be standard on all cars on this friggin' planet.

Honda has exhibited astounding, brazen ineptitude in their willful decision to omit these features, and the guy, woman, or group of people responsible for these issues deserve to be fired or flogged. Preferably both.

Alright, forget the bodily harm part. But I’m serious about being scathingly angered by the matter. I mean, for these people to leave these complete numbskull features out they must have balls of steel! I just... can't... believe it...

:rant: :furious: :headbash: :censored:
Asians don't ski and listen to a whole helluva lot of music is all I can gander! Come to think of it, I can and do listen to a helluva lot of music with CD-Rs and 6 cd changer both of which I couldn't do on my previous casette deck with no cd capability. I feel empathy as I would have liked a lot of things but I chalk it up to Se La Vie, that's just the way it goes, THAT'S LIFE! :selavie: I do not want to nitpick but your needs seems sophisticated then the average Accord driver, didn't you know these features weren't there and you would be needing them BEFORE you bought the car?

#20 ·
I used to have the CD player in my Accord before I went Aftermarket, our previous TSX, and 03 Accord played CD-R's fine.

Make sure you're burning a music CD and not an MP3 CD.

#21 ·
This is a good question - if anything, this could have created a point of parts sharing between the coupe and sedan: Design a split fold seat with armrest and use it in both sedan and coupe.

Wouldn't doing the above save Honda some money?

#23 ·
greg-ster said:
This is a good question - if anything, this could have created a point of parts sharing between the coupe and sedan: Design a split fold seat with armrest and use it in both sedan and coupe.

Wouldn't doing the above save Honda some money?
It's easy to do but I don't think that's the point. If you're going skiing with 3 friends, it's nice to have a skinny little passthrough and still be able to seat 4 full size people. Compare to Toyota's approach, you want to fit four people and skis, you need to fold down 40% of the seat and cram 2 people on the rest.

#24 ·
BenjiBoy650 said:
It's easy to do but I don't think that's the point. If you're going skiing with 3 friends, it's nice to have a skinny little passthrough and still be able to seat 4 full size people. Compare to Toyota's approach, you want to fit four people and skis, you need to fold down 40% of the seat and cram 2 people on the rest.
There's no reason that Honda has to remove the armrest/passthrough assembly to split the sedan's bench 60/40... but you never know, they might pull a 'yota move with that.

#26 ·
BenjiBoy650 said:
I think the seat would be too weak with both...at least that's how it feels to me.
The plastic passtrough door and its frame is made from a thick plastic. That along with an inch of carpeted seatback-back on the border of the split, should be plenty rigid :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.