Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

How to reset the Check Engine light

21K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  minstrel614 
#1 ·
I followed the document posted by Princess on the Sticky Throttle body thread (http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4260) to clean the throttle body on the 00 SE but made a stupid mistake. :notworthy

When I put the things back together, I forgot to reattach the MAP connector. Afterwards when I started the car, the engine was running but the idle speed was dangersly low and the "Check Engine" light came on. I shut off the engine and check the connections and found the disconnected MAP connector. So I rechecked everything and reattached all of the connectors, and I tried to start the engine again. Now the idle speed went back to normal and the car ran ok, but the "Check Engine" light stayed on.

How can I reset the check engine light? :paranoid: I heard that disconnecting the battery cable may not work - I can't find the radio code so I didn't try it yet (I thought it was on a piece of paper in the manual but just couldn't locate it).

#3 ·
BenjiBoy650 said:
Go to the fusebox on the passenger side of the car (interior) and pull the clock fuse for ~3-5 mins. It only affects the clock and the computer, you won't need a radio code if I recall.
That worked! Thanks! :thmsup:

One of the threads (maybe the sticky throttle thread) mentioned after cleaning the throttle body one should make the computer re-learn the idle speed... Is that really necessary? I thought the computer is supposed to "learn" the engine running conditions "on the job"?

#4 ·
You could try it but IMO it's a bit of a waste of gas. Eventually it will just reprogram itself. I have never done the idle learn procedure and have no problem - I've disconnected the pre-cat O2 sensor a few times with the engine on too, for shop assignments, so I don't think it's a big deal. I remember the car used to vibrate but that could have been bad gas, or just a temporary thing with not doing the idle learn...either way it's fine for me now.

#5 ·
BenjiBoy650 said:
You could try it but IMO it's a bit of a waste of gas. Eventually it will just reprogram itself. I have never done the idle learn procedure and have no problem - I've disconnected the pre-cat O2 sensor a few times with the engine on too, for shop assignments, so I don't think it's a big deal. I remember the car used to vibrate but that could have been bad gas, or just a temporary thing with not doing the idle learn...either way it's fine for me now.
Thanks for the info. I will skip that step.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.