Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Mobil 1 full synthetic

10K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  FuPeg 
#1 ·
Anyone else use this in their 8th gen? Personally, it's all I use in my vehicles.

Not sure if anyone seen the "sale" at Advanced Auto where if you buy the Mobil 1 full synthetic 5 qts for $37.68, you get the Mobil 1 oil filter for free (A $12.99 savings.)

The laughable part of all this is that the same oil goes for $22.66 at wal-mart, but they don't sell the Mobil 1 M1-110 oil filters. Not really much of a "sale" if you ask me.

Basically what I do is buy 2 filters from amazon for $24.53, 20 crush washers from the hardware store, and some 5qt jugs of synthetic from Wal-mart.

Then when it comes time to do the oil change, it's:

M1-110 Filter - $12.26
Mobil 1 5w20 full synthetic - $22.66 + tax

So $34.92 + tax to do it myself, or an extra $14.95 to have the oil change place down the street do it with me watching. :thmsup:

#2 ·
M1 0W-20 is the only oil I have used for my 08 EXL and my Accord '13 EXL V6. Excellent oil, no complaints. I change oil when the meter hits 0%, which is always right around 9-10K miles every time. I know I could go extend the interval even longer. Blackstone lab confirmed the oil is still good at 10K with plenty of additives remaining, suggesting I should try 15K, but I change it at 10K anyway for several reasons, 1. Changing oil is fun, I enjoy doing it, 2. It coincides with my changing transmission fluid cycle, save me time to flush and fill for both at the same time, and 3. It's annoying having to press the button every time I start the car when the oil level is at 15% or lower. No, I refuse to reset it until I changed the oil :D

On another note, Mobil is having a sale on their M1 oil, gogogo

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Promotions/Store_Rebate_Mobil_1_Rules.aspx

$15 off with 5 qts M1 + 1 M1 EP oil filter OR
$12 off with 5 qts M1 OR
$7 off with 5qts any Mobil oil

Rebate form is attached below. Max 2 rebates per household

The participator list is not complete, call and ask if not shown 1-866-895-9127

Walmart and Amazon are not listed as participators, but I called and confirmed that they will honor it from these sellers. If you find it cheaper elsewhere, just call and confirm before you purchase

The 0W20 AFE 5 quarts bottle is $22.66 and the 0W20 EP 5 quarts bottle is $27'ish at Walmart

Attachments

#5 ·
I called them as well, 2 days ago in fact, and the rep on the phone said yes, they will accept WM and Amazon receipt because they ARE authorized distributors for Exxon Mobil. Then again... I have heard various stories of people calling in too, some said no, some said yes.

#7 ·
Well, we'll find out in a couple weeks once they have processed my rebate. Either way, I was going to purchase the 0W20 EP regardless so if they send the rebate, fantastic! If not, no biggie.

#8 ·
Rebate is in the mail. :thmsup:

#9 ·
Or you could buy the oil at Walmart and purchase a couple (or more) Fram Ultra filters from Advance Auto Parts Online with some of their promotion codes. They're about $7 I believe and if you buy say 5 or 6, you can get them at a pretty good price.

Before everyone gets all hot and bothered, the Fram Ultra:

-has metal endcaps
-dual layer synthetic media that is 99% efficient
-metal screen backed synthetic media
-silicone anti-drain back valve
-durable nylon bypass valve
-thick canister

They're good filters, as good if not better than the Mobil 1 filters. I've ran two so far without any problems whatsoever! Now... let the Fram bashing begin.

#11 ·
Hmmm.... buy Mobil 1 oil for $22.66 and hope you get the $12 rebate or buy Pennzoil Platinum for $22.66 and get a $10 rebate for sure? I think I'll go with the latter.

For the record, many people on BITOG (myself included) were denied on prior and similar Mobil 1 rebates were Walmart isn't explicitly listed as a participating retailer. Deny me once, shame on you. Deny me twice, shame on me.

Attachments

#13 ·
I used M1 0W20 in my '04 Accord 2.4 from the first oil change @ 3500 miles or so. Back then 0W20 scared everyone as TOO THIN and certainly would destroy an engine....it was BS. That model did not have an oil maintenance minder so I ran it about 7500-8000 miles with serious revs on the engine daily. It never leaked a drop and ran like a Swiss watch when I traded it in@ roughly 35K miles. I got top dollar for it. I still miss it but really enjoy the RAV4 V6 I traded it for.

#19 ·
Pennzoil is a well-regarded synthetic oil, but just to be clear, I can tell you the GTL designation is meaningless from a product technology/performance perspective. Nearly all of the ethylene and about 10% of the propylene produced here in the USA come from natural gas feeds (more precisely, ethane, propane, or butane, referred to as natural gas liquids (NGL)). It's a feel-good story if you favor fracking, energy self-sufficiency, and American jobs - as I do, when all of them make economic sense. Once it's ethylene or propylene, the downstream processes don't care about the feedstocks used.

#18 ·
Just an update, got my rebate from Mobile 1 for $24. Feel free to buy M1 at Walmart and use the rebate.

#22 ·
I ran Mobil 1 5W-20 in both my 2006 Accords (V-6, one is AT the other 6MT) for years, then switched to Pennzoil Platinum (5W-30) about 3 years ago. The car with AT has never burned any oil (now at 129K) while the MT used to make almost a quart of the M1 disappear between oil changes. I say disappear because there is no oil on the driveway or anywhere on the engine or under the car. No oil loss using the Pennzoil, so I am sticking with it. Others have reported oil use using Mobil 1, also. My MT Accord is now at 101K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.