Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

How many gallons extactly is the fuel tank

43K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  sprite03 
#1 ·
Im a newb here. I just got my 2003 accord with 63k on it last week. I went to the pump with about 1/5 of gas remaining, but i only needed 9 gallons to fill it full. I guess the capacity is only about 12 gs eventho the manuel says 17. And also i only get about 250 miles out of full tank, what's going on with it?

#2 ·
I have the '06 and that's 17.1. Whatever your manual says is what it has. Don't trust a gas guage to show you that 1/5 is left. It's just an estimate.

#5 ·
My friend has put 17.0xx gallons in his 6th gen (boosted F23A4 auto)...so it definitely is as advertised. When I was driving my friend's Odyssey around though, I had the light come on + drove another 15-20 miles (which should have been another gallon of fuel according to the MPG we got), I still only put in about 14 or 15 gallons into the 20.0 gallon tank. That's amazing because it was almost at the E line.

#6 ·
Hi All:

___I usually drive ~ 90 miles beyond the Low Fuel light or to 0 miles on the Range (distance to empty) as shown in the NAVI. The low fuel appears with ~ 68 miles range still showing in the NAVI’s TC if that helps? The max I have driven was ~ 130 miles beyond Low Fuel.

___As for tank cap, there was a real good discussion about this in another thread just recently. From empty to top off, it’s a touch above 19.6 gallons in the 17.1 gallon rated tank.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

#7 ·
I have an 04 Accord 4 cyl and when the low fuel light comes on it takes 12 gal. to fill.
That means I have 5 gal left or 150 miles or so!!
However I have always filled up at that point going no further than 30 miles
after the light comes on.

#8 ·
Correct. The tank is 17 gallons. When the guage indicates empty and the light comes on... there is still roughly 4 gallons left in the tank. My 96 was the same way. The guage is designed to read empty when there is still fuel left (referred to as reserve fuel) I've never burned more than about a gallon or so of the 'reserve' fuel... when the low fuel light comes on I start looking for the nearest filling station. The most I've ever had to fill was just over 14 gallons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.