Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Oil Filter Change...between Oil Changes?

23K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  rszappa1 
#1 ·
As a MANY year every 3000 mile oil changer...I think I would like to consider changing filter only at about 3000 miles.

I think some others have mentioned they do this?

Three questions...

1) Is the filter easy to get at ('08 4 cyl sedan manual)...from on top or under the car?

2) Is it "messy" and do you lose oil beyond that in the filter? Does much oil ends up on the floor?

3) I am still on my Honda "break-in" oil. Can you get another quart of the OEM "break-in" oil to replace the lost oil?

I am at 2,000+ miles and oil minder says 80%...I would likely change the filter at about 3,000-3,500 mile.

Thanks...Tom

#2 ·
Tom,

First off this is not necessary unless you are going to go with VERY long intervals (10,000 miles +) with a full synthetic oil. Even then it is not necessary but many change the filter @ 5K when going with long intervals.

1. No, not for me anyway. It's on the passenger side on the backside of the engine and it is horizontal.
2. Yes, it's messy but removing the filter will not dump all the engine oil out. Portions of the exhaust and steering get oil all over them and must be wiped clean.
3. No, that is factory only. Use any name brand regular 5W20 to top off as needed.

My 2004 with the same engine says this for oil changes (no oil life monitor).......leave factory fill in for 5,000 miles.
After that change oil @ 10,000 mile intervals but change the filter every other oil change!!! How 'bout that!

What I did and do now..........changed original oil & filter at about 3200 miles, refilled with Mobil 1 0W20 and Filtech Honda filter. Change both at 7500 mile intervals or one year using M1. Cannot discern any usage at all between changes. Recent trip of 300 miles (99% highway) yeilded 35.45 MPG.

Changing the filter between oil changes is just not necessary at all. I understand the larger capacity filter from the Honda S2000 fits but have not done so myself.

#3 ·
I agree with RTexasF on oil filter intervals. One thing on the filter change as you have 08 like me. I think they might of changed position or size of filter. I know older ones have problems with oil plashing on cross-member.
If you look at OM and under car, the oil filter is right above drain plug (so do both below car) and its a very small filter mounted pretty much vertical now.
Plus it looks pretty clear to a drain pan for cleanness, though I haven't changed mine yet with only 1k on it.

#4 ·
Man, THAT is good news that they have relocated that bugger and made it more vertical!!!! I had no idea that had been done but very glad to hear of it.

It's still not worth the effort to change the filter unless you're changing the oil at the same time though. This does make me wonder if a filter relocation kit is available from Honda.

#5 ·
yeh, I always hated when filter is horizontal and oil splashes all over the place with no room to really deflect it much to pan.
Ok, I took qiuck peek under car, not raising it but the filter is say about 80deg vertical and its the small size, like 2.5-3" dia x 4"(thats just eye-balling it)

#6 ·
I changed my oil and filter at a little over 4k. It's really simple. I spilled a little oil when removing the filter but, as others have said the filter is pretty vertical. While I was under the vehicle I installed a Fumoto Valve to make future oil changes even easier.

I would try to get away from the 3,000 mile oil change routine. Today's oils will last longer than that. I'd go 4-5k on Dino without worry; 10k on synthetic. There's no need to replace the filter between oil change intervals.

Enjoy your new Accord.

#7 ·
I change oil filters every other oil change. I have been doing this for over 20 years and all of my engines have had no issues. I have 197k on my 92 Accord, 75k on my 01 CRV, 98K on my 02 Acura RSX, 165k on my 92 Prelude and 225k on my GMC Yukon. The GMC recently had a leaking intake, when I tore it down, it looked brand new inside. I used dial calipers to check the cylinders, there was no indications of wear. I do oil changes every 3500-4000 miles. Only petroleum based- not synthetic.

#8 ·
I change oil filters every other oil change.
What oil change interval do you use (Edit: Reread your post, I see your interval is 3.5K to 4K, my question below still stands)?

I'm asking because I changed my oil at 5K on my 07 to 5w20 Mobil 1, didn't change the filter. Oil monitor said 20% left. My plan is to go to ~ 12.5K (or whenever the Oil monitor tells me) with the original filter. Is this a bad idea?

#9 ·
I change oil between 3500-4000 miles. I cannot always do a change exactly at 3500 miles so I have gone up to 4000. I change the oil filter every other oil change, so my filter is changed every 7-8K. But, I would have no issue upping that to 10,000 miles on a filter. I used to cut the filter open and look inside to see what got caught in the filtration media, now I just go by the material found on the magnetic plug for the oil drain. I look for anything other than magnetic sludge (for a lack of better words) on the plug.

I am proof that you can use 1 filter to every other oil change. Again, assuming you have nothing significant on the magnetic drain plug at oil change time. I have had no issues doing this, and have done this for over 20 years. Besides, oil and filter companies want you to be worried (they more make more when you buy more) Your dipstick will also let know when it it is time to change oil. If your oil is solid black, change it!!! My oil usually looks a burnt dark orange color not black. I use petroleum based oils- not synthetics, I also use whatever weight oil the manufacturer recommends. I do not use anything above that, i.e. if it calls for 5-30 I don't use 20-50.

#11 ·
Agree with LXAccord!

My experience matches that from LXAccord. Petroleum based oil is fine. Use 5W-20 for better fuel economy and to make sure the oil flows. Don't let the oil doesn't turn black, chainge every 5,000 miles but not more than six months, change the filter at least at every other oil change. Beyond this, you can let the inherent reliability of Honda's great engines take you 200K+ miles. My former car (92 Accord) ran over 220K when it changed owners and the engine was still strong. Current 2001 is at 113K and the engine is perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.