Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Power steering pump groaning whine noise

49K views 51 replies 21 participants last post by  qman 
#1 ·
Hey all, to start off, my power steering pump used to make a whining noise every time I started my car, so I followed the DIY for replacing the power steering pump o-ring (http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42915). That shut up the whining noise for a while until a couple days ago. I don't know if it has to do with the temperature here being in the high 20s and mid 30s or if I put on the o-ring wrong, but the whining and groaning noise has come back, and this time it doesn't go away like it used to when the engine is warm.

So, do any of you have a solution to this problem? I'm going to replace my drive belt tomorrow with the Goodyear Gatorback, so maybe I can fix this power steering noise while I'm under the hood. I'm thinking somehow when I replaced the old o-ring, maybe I put the new one in wrong. I'm not too sure. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#4 ·
Wait till you feeeeel how buttery smooth your steering will be after you replace the PS pump and drive belt. I was like you, I would have normally not replaced anything early to protect and keep the total cost of ownership(TCO) low to justify a Honda even more. I replaced the drive belt almost by accident because the power steering hoses broke on separate days and the 2nd time, PS fluid spilled on the drivebelt thus prompting replacement prematurely. But after seeing hos smooth, easy and literally effortless it is to turn the steering wheel, replacing the pump *and* drivebelt is something I would do early because the benefits are so great. Trust

#5 ·
Alright guys. I added some power steering fluid while I was at the gas station earlier and that shut up the problem. My car has approximately 91,000 miles, and maybe a new pump would help, but I'm going to try some other things right now like replacing my drive belt tomorrow. As far as the flush goes, how do I properly go about that? As a last resort, I'll go and replace the pump.

#6 ·
Take something to pull out the old fluid out (**** out) of the pump like a turkey baster. Add new fluid back in and run for a few weeks and repeat process. I had to repeat the process because the dirty fluid that remains in the steering rack and needs circulated through the system.

#8 ·
If you had to add fluid and the noise stopped that means the fluid was low. You might have a leak in the system. When you changed the o-ring did you top off the fluid? Check the fluid in a week to see if the level changed.

The pump could be leaking at the seals or it could also be a line.

#9 ·
You're right. I checked my fluid and it's apparently leaking. I looked under the car and found power steering fluid along my frame on the passenger side. The lines are fine around the reservoir and low pressure side. I did notice some fluid around the metal high pressure line where it comes out of the pump, but I don't think there's enough fluid there to actually cause the leak I'm looking for. I hope it's an easy fix. And you know what? I didn't have this problem until I replaced the o-ring. I don't know if this is coincidental though.

#11 ·
So I did my oil change today and noticed power steering fluid around and near a rubber boot that's connected to the front axle. The line connected to the boot is metal, and I'm thinking it's a high pressure line. I'm hoping it's just a gasket or something rubber that's easy to replace and not the whole metal line.

#12 ·
My power steering hose just blew yesterday om my 06 EX V6 and had a local shop patch it with a new line and a couple compression fittings and know I'm getting the constant whine from the pump when turning and idle. Also can hear it inside the cabin on pass side and also seems to be sending a vibration through floor, car is just not smooth like it should be. Fluid level is at full mark, What do you guys think?

#13 ·
You need an OEM Honda high pressure hose. The oem one one has a little valve inside of it. You can check the O-Ring on the inlet hose, but if your problem is like mine this wont do anything.

I speak from experience, I had a hose fitted like this and I had the same exact problem. Get an OEM hose before you mess up your pump.

#14 ·
There is a recall on the high pressure hose, on V6 Accords. Any Honda dealership will change that hose for you free of charge. Click on the "Sticky" at the top of the page for more details. Get the hose changed as soon as possible. Here's the link.....http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75259

#17 ·
If that is the nearest dealership, mention that to them. They may be able to approve the repair be done by a local shop in this circumstance. The recall hose is a special new design, so you would need that hose IMO. Good luck

#21 ·
Find another local shop! It sounds like that "patch" they did might have cost you more than you realized! I've learned that people know as much about Honda/Acura repair as any one of us here on this site.
I had the Power Steering hose fixed by the recall.
There's engine cleaner/ degreaser that you can spray all over and rinse off.

#23 ·
@mx3: Yeah, power steering fluid is like hydraulic fluid- it smells pretty bad. You are lucky you did not get a fire, as when that stuff gets sprayed onto a hot exhaust manifold it can easily ignite.

Make the trip to the dealer for the free recall. Explain that the patch was "an emergency patch" until you could get there. The free service is for a new hose and they are supposed to give you new fluid (so don't let them charge you for that). The Honda tech may spend time with it to bleed air out of the system- hopefully that will take care of the problem for you. They may even clean it up a little for you- if not, engine degreaser is your friend.

If not, report back. The power steering pump can be fixed for about $20 in parts. A new member here has one of the best write-ups I have ever seen on how to do it.

You learned a good lesson- first thing you do when you buy a car is get the recalls and maintenance up to date. I remember you a few months ago because you were asking about tires for your new ride- I regret not jumping in and telling you to do maintenance.

EDIT: mx3 Make certain you make an appointment with the dealer for this recall work as you want to make certain they have the hose in stock!

#24 ·
@mx3: Yeah, power steering fluid is like hydraulic fluid- it smells pretty bad. You are lucky you did not get a fire, as when that stuff gets sprayed onto a hot exhaust manifold it can easily ignite.

Make the trip to the dealer for the free recall. Explain that the patch was "an emergency patch" until you could get there. The free service is for a new hose and they are supposed to give you new fluid (so don't let them charge you for that). The Honda tech may spend time with it to bleed air out of the system- hopefully that will take care of the problem for you. They may even clean it up a little for you- if not, engine degreaser is your friend.

If not, report back. The power steering pump can be fixed for about $20 in parts. A new member here has one of the best write-ups I have ever seen on how to do it.

You learned a good lesson- first thing you do when you buy a car is get the recalls and maintenance up to date. I remember you a few months ago because you were asking about tires for your new ride- I regret not jumping in and telling you to do maintenance.
Good advice Rick on the PS pump rebuild. That's something I have to add to my to do list.

#25 ·
#28 ·
So decided to order the parts today from HPC and fix it myself instead of taking the chance of my power steering pump failing.
Honda will not cover towing or power steering pump if that fails because of the hose. If I lived closer I would definitely
take advantage of the recall service.
I take this as a lesson learned and get the recall work done next time I get a letter in the mail from Honda.
The hose and 3 o-rings ran me $128.00 w/shipping.
Minus probably $30.00 in gas I would have spent getting to the dealer i'm at bout a $100.00 and of course my own labor.
Not to mention I would also have to take at the very least a half a day off work to go get this service done as well.
I had recently paid $55.00 for the patch job that I will also right off as lesson learned. Thanks guys!! :)

#29 ·
@mx3: But wait, there's more!

I recall that BLCKFLSH did his himself but saved receipts and was reimbursed by Honda. Don't leave money on the table- no shame in asking for them to reimburse.

#31 ·
Yes, I had replaced the hose myself a couple years before the recall came out. Honda reimbursed me for the $97 hose, but nothing for my time. If you paid someone else to do the repair you should be reimbursed the full amount. The correct way to replace the hose is to unbolt the rear mount, and raise the engine, to get the hard line out from under it. I did all this from up top, I hope you have long arms. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.